Eupen is a small town in the province of Liège, Belgium. It is the capital of the German-speaking community of Belgium. Large parts of the municipality are covered by forests and the Hautes Fagnes wetlands.
The town counts around 20,000 inhabitants (2018). As the administrative centre of the German-speaking community of Belgium, which comprises a few municipalities along its eastern border, it is the seat of parliament of this community.
- 1 Tourist-Info Eupen, Marktplatz 7, ☏ +32 87 55 34 50, email@example.com.
Line number 14, run jointly by ASEAG of Germany and TEC of Belgium, connects Eupen with Aachen, in Germany. A journey between the two towns takes approximately 40 minutes, with a single ticket costing €5.85.
There is a train line connecting Eupen with Ostend, stopping in many major Belgian cities such as Liège, Leuven, Brussels, Ghent and Bruges. The 1 Eupen Train Station is north of the town centre.
Eupen is quite near to the E40 highway between Liège and Aachen. You must get off at exit 38 called Eupen - Welkenraedt.
The nearest Airport is in Liège (LGG IATA) which is served by a few airlines with various European destinations. The larger Belgian airports of Brussels (BRU IATA) and Brussels South in the city of Charleroi (CRL IATA) are a bit further away but are a lot bigger and serve a lot more flights than Liège.
Another option is to fly to Cologne (CGN IATA) and get to Eupen through Aachen.
- 1 St. Nicholas Church (Nikolauskirche), Marktplatz. This Renaissance church was built between 1721 and 1729.
- 2 Eupen City Museum (Eupener Stadtmuseum), Gospertstraße 52, ☏ +32 87 74 00 05, firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-F 09:30-12:00 and 13:00-16:00, Sa 14:00-17:00, Su 10:00-12:00 and 14:00-17:00. Museum depicting the history of the town, its cloth-weaving history and carnival.
- 3 IKOB International Art Centre East Belgium, Rotenberg 12b, ☏ +32 87 56 01 10, email@example.com. Contemporary art museum with temporary exhibitions. The museum is closed when changing exhibitions. €6 regular, €4 reduced. Free on first Sunday and Wednesday of the month..
- 4 Chocolate Museum, Industriestraße 16, ☏ +32 87 59 29 67, firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 09:00-17:00. Museum of the Belgian chocolate producer "Jacques".
- 5 Moorenhöhe Park, Haasberg. For a panoramic view over the lower part of the town, take a walk to Moorenhöhe Park.
- Football at 1 Kehrweg Stadion, Kehrweg 14, ☏ +32 87 56 13 77. KAS Eupen play soccer in the Belgian First Division A, the country's top tier. The stadium (capacity 8360) is 1 km southeast of town centre.
- Carnival: . February. It begins on Thursday with an Old Ladies procession, which began in the 19th century when women couldn’t take part in carnival activities, so they held their own celebrations one day earlier. The children’s parade on Sunday (14:30) is followed by the carnival’s major parade that leaves from Werthplatz on Rosenmontag or Rose Monday (12:30). It is a tradition to throw paper roses along the parade route. Floats and costumed locals precede the Carnival Prince. On Tuesday, another children’s procession (14:30) follows a different route. There's entertainment, and the carnival ends when the prince returns the city keys to the town hall. (date needs fixing)
- 1 Haus Ternell, Monschauer Straße 3, ☏ +32 87 30 00 48.
- 2 Meeting Point, Hütte 79, ☏ +32 87 88 01 09, email@example.com.
- 1 Gîte d'Étape d'Eupen, Judenstraße 79, ☏ +32 87 55 31 26, firstname.lastname@example.org. The only hostel in Eupen. Has 17 rooms. From €16.40.
- 2 Sleepwood Hotel, Neustraße 61, ☏ +32 87 55 50 88, email@example.com. From €79.
- 3 Hotel Ambassador Bosten, Haasstraße 81, ☏ +32 87 74 08 00, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eupen has 4G from all Belgian carriers. As of July 2022, 5G has not reached town.