Fairfield is a mid-size city that shares a metroplex with Suisun City. Travis Air Force Base, home of the 60th Air Mobility Wing, is located just to the east of Fairfield. C-5 Galaxy, C-17 Globemaster III cargo aircraft and KC-10 Extender refueling aircraft are common sights in the skies over the twin cities. Fairfield is located along Interstate 80, the main route between the Bay Area and Sacramento, about midway between the two.
The climate of Fairfield is typical of the Sacramento Delta, cool winters and hot, humid summers. Winter temperatures average 37º-65º. Summer temperatures average 56º-89º. As Fairfield is located near the Carquinez Straits, where wind from the San Francisco Bay is funneled through a narrow channel, Fairfield can experience strong winds.
- Sacramento International Airport (SMF IATA), 6900 Airport Blvd., Sacramento, ☏ . SMF in Sacramento is located 50 miles northeast of Fairfield, about a 55 minute drive.
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO IATA), Intersection of S. McDonnell Rd and S. Link Rd., San Francisco, toll-free: . SFO in South San Francisco is located 57 miles southwest of Fairfield, about a 1 hour drive.
- Oakland International Airport (OAK IATA), 1 Airport Drive, Oakland, ☏ . OAK, in Oakland is about 50 miles southwest of Fairfield, about a 55 minute drive.
- Greyhound, 1040 Mason St., Vacaville, ☏ . M-F: 9AM-5PM, Sa: 9AM-11:59AM, Closed: Su and holidays. The nearest Greyhound bus service to Fairfield is Vacaville, 10 miles north, a 15 minute drive. Fairfield/Suisun Transit System routes 20, 30, and 40 run between Vacaville and Fairfield. Note that only 20 runs on Sa, and none of the lines run on Su.
- 1 Solano Express, 2000 Cadenasso Dr., ☏ . Travelers arriving from Sacramento or the greater Bay Area can use the public FAST transit bus system. Visitors arriving on Monday-Friday can use Route 30 from Sacramento or Davis, Route 40 from the Walnut Creek BART station, or Route 90 to the El Cerrito del Norte BART station. Saturday visitors are limited to the Route 30 bus on a reduced schedule, while Sunday visitors are plain out of luck. Fares are $6.75 for intercity buses. $6.75.
- 3 Fairfield/Suisun Transit System, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F: 6:30AM-8:12PM, Sa: 8:30AM-6:05PM, Su: No service. Fairfield/Suisun Transit System provides local service as well as extended service as far as Davis and Walnut Creek. Base local fare: Adult - $1.50, Senior and disabled - $0.75. Extended area fares vary. See System Map on website for details.
- 1 Scandia Family Center. - located in Fairfield
- 2 Grizzly Island Wildlife Area, 2548 Grizzly Island Road, Suisun City (Take Grizzly Island Road south from SR12), ☏ . Hiking, fishing, hunting, and boating. Some areas are disabled accessible.
- 3 Hill Slough Wildlife Area, Grizzly Island Road, immediately south of SR 12, ☏ . 1,722 acres of salt tidal marsh, marshes, sloughs and upland grasses. Excellent areas for bird-watching.
- 4 Jelly Belly Factory tour, 1 Jelly Belly Ln, toll-free: . Daily from 9AM-4PM, except Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Year's Day, and Easter Sunday. Take a tour of the factory where Jelly Belly jelly beans are made. A highlight is the robotic stacking machine and portraits made of jelly beans. The tour ends with a free packet of jelly beans. Also check out the factory store where "defective" jelly beans are sold as Belly Flops. The tour is very popular, so expect a wait, even on weekdays. Free.
- 5 Anheuser-Busch Brewery Tour & Gift Shop, 3101 Busch Dr, ☏ . Take a tour of a real factory where your favorite Budweiser products are created, call to check for hours to see if they are open, two complimentary beers and free pretzels are offered
- 6 Travis Air Force Base Heritage Center, ☏ . Tu-Sa 10AM-5PM. The Travis Heritage Center has a variety of historic airlift aircraft on display, assorted exhibits pertaining to military operations, and a picnic area. There is also a gift shop. All adults 18 and over must have a valid photo ID and complete a background check before receiving a pass. Non-US citizens must coordinate their visit at least two weeks in advance. Tours of the base are offered to the public approximately twice a year, although it may be possible for groups, particularly ROTC, to arrange a tour (call the base at least 60 days in advance).
- 7 Rush Ranch, Grizzly Island Rd (2 miles south of Highway 12). 8AM-dusk. A working ranch that is kept as open space for the public. There are historic displays and hiking trails over the hills and marshes surrounding the ranch as well the opportunity to interact with the animals on the ranch. Free.
- Solano Town Center, 1350 Travis Boulevard, ☏ . The Solano Town Center mall hosts a Best Buy, JCPenney, Sears and Macy's department stores, and over 150 other mall shops and restaurants. Enjoy a night of dining and a movie in Fairfield at the Edwards Fairfield Stadium 16 IMAX movie theater. Shopping nearby, just east of I-80 at the Travis Blvd. exit.
- 1 Best Western Cordelia Inn, 4373 Central Pl, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: .
- 2 Courtyard Fairfield Napa Valley Area, 1350 Holiday Ln, ☏ , fax: .
- 3 Fairfield Inn & Suites Fairfield Napa Valley Area, 315 Pittman Rd, ☏ , fax: .
- 4 Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, 316 Pittman Rd, ☏ .
- 5 Homewood Suites by Hilton, 4755 Business Center Dr, ☏ . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 12PM. An all suite hotel equipped with full kitchens and free wireless Internet. Complimentary amenities include a hot breakfast and a light dinner with beverages (Monday-Thursday).
- 6 Motel 6 Fairfield North, 1473 Holiday Ln, ☏ , fax: .
- Bay Area - San Francisco, Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge
- Sacramento - Capitol of California, Old Town, Sutter's Fort, 45 minutes away
- Napa Valley - California's wine country, 45 minutes away
|Routes through Fairfield|
|Sacramento ← Davis ←||N S||→ Martinez → Emeryville|
|San Francisco ← Vallejo ← Jct S ←||W E||→ Vacaville → Sacramento|
|Santa Rosa ← Napa ←||W E||→ Jct N → Rio Vista → Lodi|