Fjærland is a tiny town at the end of the Fjærlandsfjord, an arm of the Sognefjord. In Sogn og Fjordane county. It is a particularly enjoyable gateway to the Jostedalsbreen National Park, and is close to two glacial tongues.
If you want a close-up view of a glacier without actually climbing on it, then Fjærland is the place to go. In addition to this, Fjærland is Norway's bokbyen - book town. Almost every shop in the town sells a range of new and used books, and there is even an "honesty book shop", not far from the ferry stop, where books are sold from a stand without any staff.
Fjærland is 38 km northwest of Sogndal on route 5 on the way to Skei, which is on E39.
In summer, Fjærland can be reached by ferry from Balestrand, a trip that gives ample photo opportunities - there's an amazing view of the Josteldalsbreen glacier behind the fjord as you approach the town.
There are buses each day to nearby towns, including Sogndal and Skei, both five times daily. The bus stop is 2 km out of the town centre, just across the road from the Norwegian glacier museum. It's a bit of a walk, so leave ample time to avoid missing what might be your only bus out of there.
A bus leaves from the ferry port once a day in May and September, twice a day in June–August, taking passengers firstly to the Glacier Museum and then to the glacier. Alternatively, catch a taxi, hire a bike at the tourist office, or use your own car.
- Bøyabreen (is located near Route 5 towards Skei). It is possible to see the glacier from the parking space. Otherwise walk for about 5 min to the little lake in front of the glacier.
- Fjærland Kyrkje (Fjærland Church). Jun-Aug: 10AM-6PM. Built in 1861.
- Norsk bremuseum (Norwegian Glacier museum), Fjærland, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Jun-Aug: 9AM-7PM, Apr-May and Sep-Oct: 10AM-4PM. This museum gives a good insight into how glaciers were formed, along with an impressive film taken from atop the Jostalsbreen glacier. Also visitorcenter for the national park. Experience exhibition about climate changes e Adults:120 kr, students: 60 kr, children: 60 kr, family: 260 kr.
- Supphellebreen. 10 km on a side road from the village
- Glacier walk (Meet at Bøyum Camping), ☏ , . 1 Jul-31Aug: At 8:15AM. A tour suitable for person with some physical training. Treking for nine hour, including 3 hour on the glacier. Only children over ten year.
- [dead link] Kayaking, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Different tours on the fjord. Two hour tour: kr 340.
- Bookstores. Fjærland is Norway's "book town". Virtually every shop - from the tourist office to the sandwich shop - sells a range of new and used books.
- Kaffistova. 10AM-5.30PM.
- Onkel Mikkel (In Mundal Hotell). 1.5.-30.9 1 May-30 Sep: 8PM-11PM.