city in Boone County, Kentucky, United States
Florence is a city of 33,000 people (2019) in Kentucky's Northern Ohio River Region, near Cincinnati. Florence is well known in surrounding cities for a water tower visible from I-71/I-75 that reads "Florence Y'all".
- 1 Florence Y'All Water Tower (off I-71/I75 near Florence Mall). If you're heading south from Ohio, this is a surefire sign that you aren't in the Union anymore. Originally a giant advertisement for the nearby Florence Mall, this landmark was accidentally created when developers realized that it was illegal to advertise the mall on the water tower. To save money they turned the M to a Y and the rest is history.
- 1 Florence Y'alls, 7950 Freedom Way (near the intersection of I-75 and State Route 42; take exit #180 off I-75 and proceed east one block; turn right on Freedom Way), ☏ +1 859-594-4487. The front office and the Truist Team Shop remain open all year long during normal business hours. The Florence Y'alls, named after the water tower, are a professional baseball team based in Florence. They play in the West Division of the Frontier League, which is not directly affiliated with Major League Baseball but became an "MLB Partner League" when MLB reorganized the minors in 2021. From the 2004 season to the present, the Y'alls have played their home games at Thomas More Stadium, which is located near Interstates 71 and 75. The ballpark is also home to the baseball team of nearby Thomas More University, which bought the right to name the park in 2022. VIP $10.00, reserved $8.50, lawn $6.00, children 2 and under are free.
- 1 Florence Mall, 2028 Florence Mall, ☏ +1 859-371-1231. Anchors are JC Penny and Macy's.
- Lita's Tacos, 8450 US-42, Florence, ☏ +1 859 817-1532. T-S 11AM-7PM. Authentic, street-style tacos, nachos, and other Mexican cuisine - but the tacos are the real stars of the show. Super cheap and located right next to a gas station and convenience store - and mind-shatteringly delicious. The owners are chill, too!
- Best Western Florence, 7821 Commerce Drive, ☏ +1 859 525-0090, fax: +1 859 525-6743.
- Comfort Suites Florence - Cincinnati South, 5905 Merchants St lat=, ☏ +1 859-488-1708. Indoor pool and gym. $86 (Dec 2021).
- Courtyard Florence Greater Cincinnati Area, 46 Cavalier Boulevard (Turfway Rd & I-75), ☏ +1 859 371-6464, fax: +1 859 371-3443. Little fire pit to gather around for socializing. $76 (Dec 2021).
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Florence - Cincinnati Airport, 1055 Vandercar Way (Turfway Rd & I-75), ☏ +1 859-817-0337, fax: +1 859 371-3443. Also sporting an indoor pool. $91 (Dec 2021).
- Check out Covington or Newport, 20-odd minutes away, by heading north on I-71/I-75.
- Or, travel further north over the Ohio River into Cincinnati.
- Or, you could head south to Lexington.
|Routes through Florence|
|Cincinnati ← Fort Wright ←||N S||→ Sparta → Louisville|
|Cincinnati ← Fort Wright ←||N S||→ Williamstown → Lexington|
|Cincinnati ← Fort Wright ←||N S||→ Union → Frankfort|