Florence is a city in the Pee Dee Country Region of South Carolina. It was the site of the Florence Stockade, a Confederate POW camp, notably bad but still maybe not as bad as Andersonville, then a railroad hub, and nowadays a regional center for medical care and manufacturing, including as it sits at the terminus for I-20. Even though it got started rather late, in 1871, it's more or less the hub for northeastern South Carolina, aka Pee Dee Country.
Get in Edit
By plane Edit
Florence Regional Airport has nonstop service to Charlotte on American Airlines.
Get around Edit
- PDRTA Florence Transit, 313 S Stadium Rd, ☏ . Offers 7 fixed-route bus services in the city. $1.50 for regular one-way fare.
- 1 Florence County Museum, 111 West Cheves St., ☏ . Tu-Sa 10AM-5PM, Su 2-5PM. Art and local history. Antiques, paintings, Civil War, South West American Indian exhibits and more.
- 2 Florence Stockade Visitor Center, Stockade Dr, ☏ . Between 1864 and 1865, about 16,000 Union soldiers were held captive here, in abysmal conditions that consummated in the deaths of about 2,800 of these men. The site is not as developed as Andersonville State Historic Park is in Georgia today, but it still offers opportunity for a reflective mood.
- 3 Florence National Cemetery, 803 E National Cemetery Rd, ☏ . M-F 8AM-4:30PM. Next to the stockade, this is where a lot of the POW camp casualties ended up.
- Magnolia Mall Shopping Center, 2701 David McLeod Blvd., ☏ . 10AM-9PM. Many well known stores inside such as Best Buy, Sunglass Hut, Express, JC Penney, Foot Locker, Barnes & Nobles, etc.
- Red Bone Alley Restaurant and Bar, 1903 W. Palmetto Street, ☏ . Southern food restaurant with weekly entertainment and reasonable prices.
- Quincy's Family SteakHouse, 1924 W Lucas St, ☏ . You can really chow down here at this American buffet. $.
- Woodstone BBQ and Seafood, 1247 S Irby St, ☏ . BBQ and seafood buffet.
- Howard Johnson by Wyndham Florence, 2038 W Lucas St, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. Pool and light breakfast. $56 (Dec 2021).
- Abingdon Manor Inn & Restaurant, 307 Church Street, ☏ , email@example.com. Charming southern inn. Multi-course prix-fixe dinner served for $65. Rooms have a private bath, TV, and wifi. $210.
Go next Edit
|Routes through Florence|
|Washington, D.C. ← Fayetteville ←||N S||→ Charleston → Savannah|
|Augusta ← Columbia ← Jct N S ←||W E||→ END|
|Fayetteville ← Lumberton ←||N S||→ St. George → Jct W E → Savannah|
|Winston-Salem ← Wadesboro ←||N S||→ Charleston → END|
|Columbia ← Sumter ←||W E||→ Wilmington → Wrightsville Beach|