The town of Florida is one of the least populated Towns in all of Massachusetts. As such Florida does not have any restaurants,Gas Stations, Bars , Our much of anything in the way of businesses. Most of the businesses a traveler would look for in that case will be found in the neighboring city of North Adams. Route 2 (The Mohawk Trail) is the only main road in town, because of this most of the towns population is concentrated along this route.
Most of what is now Florida was originally a grant to the town of Bernardston, Massachusetts made sometime before 1771. The town was first settled around 1783 by Dr. Daniel Nelson. The town was incorporated and named "Florida" in 1805.
Get in Edit
- Florida is located on the Mohawk Trail (Route 2) east of North Adams.
Get around Edit
The only way to get around Florida is by car our by Foot. There is no public transportation into or out of the town.
- Savoy Mountain State Forest, 260 Central Shaft Road, ☏ . Year-round 8AM-dusk. With over 50 miles of trails on 1000 acres, several fine ponds, a fifty-foot waterfall and camping in an old apple orchard (see Sleep section below), this is one of the jewels of the Massachusetts park system. Access is free, a $5 fee is charged from mid-May through Columbus Day for parking only at North Pond day-use area and for visitors to the campground. Parking is free for ParksPass holders, vehicles with Handicapped, POW, disabled veteran plates/placard, and seniors 62 and above with the Massachusetts Senior Pass. Hoosic.jpg
- The Hoosac Tunnel (Hoosic or Hoosick Tunnel), River Rd. A 7.64 km (4.75 mi) active railroad tunnel through the Hoosac Range, an extension of Vermont's Green Mountains. It remains the longest active transportation tunnel east of the Rocky Mountains, the sixth longest railroad tunnel in North America, and a Historic Civil Engineering Landmark since 1975.
- Whitcomb Summit Retreat, 229 Mohawk Trail, ☏ . The only lodging in the town of Florida is this mountain top hotel with sweeping views of the Northern Berkshires.
- For more hotels and motels look to North Adams.
- Savoy Mountain State Forest, 260 Central Shaft Road, ☏ . Year-round camping is available only in four log cabins at South Pond. For other sites camping season is from mid-May to mid-October. Reservations are suggested. Campground office hours are 9AM-9PM. There are 45 tent sites and one group site that accommodates 25 people in an old apple orchard. Pets OK, with restrictions. No alcohol. No lifeguards.
Go next Edit
|Routes through Florida|
|Troy ← North Adams ←||W E||→ Shelburne → Greenfield|