Originally Fort Payne was an important Cherokee village called Will's Town. In 1838 Captain John G. Payne selected the site to build a stockade to house Native Americans that would later be sent on the Trail of Tears. Fort Payne became the county seat of DeKalb County in 1878, and was incorporated in 1889.
Fort Payne is known for the large number of sock mills in the area, and is sometimes referred to as the Sock Capital of the World.
Fort Payne is in a valley bordered by Sand Mountain to the north and Lookout Mountain to the south. Visitor's can enjoy a variety of outdoor activities in the area.
Isbell Field - 2200 Terminal Road. No commercial passenger service available.
The best way to get around Fort Payne is by car.
- Desoto State Park, 7104 DeSoto Parkway NE. Located on Lookout Mountain. Great location for hiking, camping, and enjoying the great outdoors.
- Little River Canyon National Preserve, 2141 Gault Ave N. Located just outside of town on Lookout Mountain. Great location for hiking.
- Opera House, 510 Gault Avenue N. Historic opera house built in 1889. For tours call 256-845-6888.
- Alabama Fan Club, 101 Glen Blvd SW. Fan club and museum dedicated to the country music band Alabama.
- Depot Museum, 105 5th St NE. The old Fort Payne train station now serves as a museum dedicated to the history of Fort Payne.
- Fort Payne Hosiery Museum, 514 Gault Ave N. Museum dedicated the history of the sock industry in Fort Payne.
Popular outdoor activities include camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, birdwatching and skiing.
- Northeast Alabama Community College. Located in nearby Rainsville, AL, about 10 miles north of Fort Payne on Sand Mountain.
- DeKalb County Public Library - 504 Grand Avenue NW
Anything and everything at Trade Day in nearby Collinsville, AL.
- Third Street Deli, 203 Gault Avenue. S
- Waffle King, 2605 Greenhill Blvd NW.