It was founded as a port during the era of Julius Caesar as "Forum Julii", meaning 'market of Julius'.
Port Fréjus which has a capacity of 750 moorings, is surrounded by beautiful fine sandy beaches.
Access to Fréjus, from the A8 motorway, is by exit 37 (from Paris, Aix-en-Provence and Marseille, then by Route Nationale 7, or by exit 38 (from Nice) and the Departmental Route 37. The RN7 crosses the town from Puget-sur-Argens to Adrests-de-l'Esterel The seaside road from Sainte-Maxime or Saint-Raphaël is the RD559.
- 1 Fréjus station. TER station, for regional connections to Saint Raphael, Les Arcs and Cannes.
- 2 Saint-Raphaël-Valescure station. For mainline and TGV trains.
There is a bus station in Saint Raphaël, with links to Marseille, Cannes and Nice.
- 1 Saint-Léonce Cathedral of Fréjus. Begun in medieval but resulting from several eras. The baptistry in Frejus Cathedral dates from the 5th century CE, and there are columns from Roman buildings.
- Church of St. Maximus
- Esterel Hills
- 2 Roman Amphitheatre.
- 3 Roman Aqueduct (Aqueduct Romain), Avenue du XVème corps. 42 km long, it runs for 1.8 km on bridges and 500 m on walls. Large parts of the aqueduct are still well preserved.
- 4 Étangs de Villepey Saint Aygulf. A native swamp zone, in the mouth of the Argens.
- 5 Lantern of Augustus. Roman period.
- 6 Golden stave (Portée dorée). Roman period.
- 7 Memorial of the Black Army (mémorial de l'armée noire), Boulevard de la Liberation. Paying homage to the Black Army.
- 8 Villa Aurélienne. Built in 1889 for JH Crossman, in a 24-hectare wooded park.
There are quite good beaches between Frejus and St. Aygulf. Frejus has a beautiful cathedral There is a large water park (Parc Aquatica)
You can eat a lot of delicious meals without paying a lot.
- La Pierre Verte, 1880, Route Départementale 4, ☏ . Rental or camping site. An aquatic area heated in low season, as well as many services (bar, restaurant, take-away meals, snack bar, self-service grocery store, laundromat, wifi throughout the area.
- Camping le malbousquet, 942 rue de Malbousquet, ☏ . package from €15 in low season to €30 in high season.
- Dommaine du Colombier, ☏ . Rental of mobile homes and bungalws, village club with swimming pool. 5 stars.
- Saint-Aygulf campsite, 270, Boulevard Salvarelli. 3-star campsite, near the beach.
- Hôtel Saint-Aygulf, Avenue de la Corniche d'Azur, Saint Aygulf, ☏ . Hotel restaurant, opposite the marina.
- Hotel l'Arena, 145 Rue du Général de Gaulle. 3-star hotel, in the city centre.
- 1 Hôtel Ibis Budget, 1074 ave de Lattre de Tassigny, ☏ .
- Mercure Thalassa Port Fréjus, 16 Quai dei Caravello, ☏ . €149.