Gaud was the ancient capital of Bengal, then also known as Gaud. It is virtually in ruins. The ruins of the historical city are divided between Chapai Nawabganj district of Bangladesh and Gour-Pandua, Malda district of West Bengal in India. Once it was a well populated and magnificent city. The Muslim rulers, the Ilias Shah dynasty, built many monuments. Among those buildings some are located in the Bangladesh part of the city. These are all famous for their architectural beauty and have a great significance for the development of the Muslim architecture in Bengal. Though all of the monuments are now in badly damaged shape, the Archaeology Department of Bangladesh is trying to repair or reconstruct these.
- Gaud is 38 km from Chapai Nawabganj. One can take the hassle of using an irregular bus service (takes about an hour) or hire a tempo.
- The Bangladesh-India border is just beyond the Sona Masjid check post.
- 1 Chhoto Sona Masjid (Small Golden Mosque). There are terracotta designs on the inside of the dome. The inside walls have intricate carvings. The exterior has been done up by the Archaeology Department of Bangladesh.
- 2 Khania Dighi Masjid and Balia Dighi (Dighi means tank). The Khania Dighi Masjid, also known as Rajbibi Masjid, has terracotta designs.
- 3 Darasbari Masjid. It resembles the Adina Masjid at Pandua in Malda and was built by Yusuf Shah in 1479. There are floral designs of mihrabs
- 4 Dhunichak Masjid. It had crumbled partially but Archaeology Department of Bangladesh has restored it. It is located in Shahbajpur village. It is believed to have been built by Dhanpat Saudagar, brother of Chand Saudagar, in the 16th century.
- Firozpur Masjid. It was built by Shah Niamatullah Wali. Alongside the three domed masjid, the Shah’s tomb is there and the Takhana Palace. It is part of the Takhana complex.
- There are several monuments on the Indian side of the border. For details see Gour-Pandua.