The northern suburbs of the Gold Coast may be perhaps the most residential, but they are the most wild ones, containing many of the Gold Coast's theme parks.
Get in Edit
By car Edit
Going to the theme parks? Don't take Exit 62
If you decided to rather follow your unreliable GPS and you are heading northbound on the M1 to get to Wet'n'Wild or Movie World and your GPS tells you to take Exit 62, ignore it and use Exit 60 instead. Exit 62 can get you to the theme parks, but the interchange is poorly signed, and to get to the parks, signage only appears a few metres before Entertainment Road, which is easy to miss if you're on the wrong lane. Otherwise, you'll end up back on the motorway.
The primary means of entry via car is via the M1 Pacific Motorway which extends down from Coffs Harbour in NSW to the state capital of Brisbane and the primary exits are exits between (and including) 54 to 62.
From the suburbs of Surfers Paradise, Southport or Broadbeach, use the Godl Coast Highway (SR 2) to reach the western parts of the north, and use Oxley Drive (SR 4) to reach the east.
By light rail Edit
- 1 Gold Coast Motor Museum, 107 Kriedeman Rd, Upper Coomera, ☏ , email@example.com. W Th 9AM–4PM, F–Su 8AM–5PM. A large shed that houses 75 motor vehicles and bikes from the late 20th century. Some vehicles, such as some of the electric vehicles, span all the way to 1900. The precinct also includes a restaurant and a shop (that has some car cleaning products). $20 per adult, $15 per senior citizen, children under 15 free.
- 2 Garage 25, 1 Boatworks Drive, ☏ . M-F 8:30AM–2PM, Sat 8:30AM–11AM. Parts of the personal car collection of Tony Longhurst, two-time Bathurst 1000 winner. Includes vehicles from as early as 1910, assorted motorbikes, even mowers and outboards. Longhurst was also a co-founder of the nearby Dreamworld and owns the Boatworks Marina. Donation Box.$.
- 1 Warner Bros. Movie World (Movie World), Helensvale Rd., Oxenford, ☏ . Daily 9:30AM–5PM. Australia's only movie-based theme park which contains several film studios, shows, and perhaps most importantly, rides. As the park's name is called "Movie World" (and that can also be backed up as the park advertises itself as the Hollywood of the Gold Coast), you may be able to spot several Marvel, Warner Brothers and DC characters walking around the park.
- 2 Wet'n'Wild Gold Coast (Wet'n'Wild Water World), Entertainment Rd., Oxenford, ☏ . Daily 10AM–5PM. The prime water park located in South-East Queensland or even Australia and one of the many Wet'n'Wilds found worldwide. Most of the park is comprised of water-based rides, but there are some land-based rides too.
- 3 Dreamworld, Dreamworld Pkwy, Coomera, ☏ . Daily 10AM–5PM. Australia's largest theme park which contains about 40 rides, and even a zoo. The theme park contains a mix of land and water rides, but beware, the park has a poor safety reputation, and in 2016, four people were killed on a ride. Since then, several rides have closed and have been demolished.
- 4 Australian Outback Spectacular.
- 5 WhiteWater World, 1 Dreamworld Pkwy, Coomera, ☏ . Considered the sister park of Dreamworld, this water park contains many water slides, and is perhaps convenient for visitors visiting Dreamworld without having to come all the way south to Wet'n'Wild. There are fewer rides than Wet'n'Wild though, but nevertheless an experience in its own right.
- 1 The Neighbours Hope Island, 126 North Quay Cct, Hope Island, ☏ . A small cafe located on Hope Island next to the sales centre. Food here tends to be a bit more expensive than other cafes in the area though.
- Hope Island Deli, Shop 15, Hope Island Shopping Village, 10 Santa Barbara Rd, Hope Island, ☏ . Daily 6:30AM–4PM.
- 2 Plant Based Eatz, 1/2 Grice Ave, Paradise Point, ☏ . 11AM–7PM (closed Mondays).
- Jonez on Ephraim. A seafood restaurant
- Hope Island Tavern, 87-97 Broadwater Ave, Hope Island QLD 4212, ☏ 0735583308 .
- 1 The Boathouse Tavern, 101 Dreamworld Pkwy, Coomera, ☏ . Daily 10AM–4PM.
- 2 HarborVue Tavern, L1/941 Harbour Village Parade, Coomera QLD 4209, ☏ 07 5501 9351 . Dine in, Take Away and Delivery.
Views over Coomera Waters Marina.