The Grapevine is a corridor along Interstate 5 in Kern County in California's San Joaquin Valley that descends from the Tehachapi Mountains through Grapevine Canyon. Traditionally the Grapevine has included the route from the town of Lebec down to the town of Grapevine, although for organizational purposes this article also includes the nearby towns of Gorman, Frazier Park, and Wheeler Ridge.
The Grapevine is a route that leads through Grapevine Canyon, descending at a six percent grade from the summit of Tejon Pass to the valley below. The original steep and winding route was famous for its accidents until it was widened and straightened during 1933-34.
Get in edit
Travelers on Interstate-5 arrive from Los Angeles in the south or Buttonwillow to the north. Highway 99 branches off of the interstate heading north towards Bakersfield. During the winter the top of the route is frequently closed by snow, creating long delays (the main alternative route is Highway 101 to the west).
Get around edit
- 1 Best Western Liberty Inn, 5521 Dennis McCarthy Dr (Wheeler Ridge), ☏ , fax: .
- 2 Holiday Inn Express, 612 Wainwright Ct (Lebec), ☏ , toll-free: , fax: . Quiet Lebec hotel near I-5 with suites. Indoor pool, heated whirlpool, fitness center, free breakfast, free wireless internet. Pets allowed. $100.
- 3 Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham, 5620 Del Sol Dr (Wheeler Ridge), ☏ , fax: .
- 4 Motel 6, 51541 Peace valley Rd (Lebec), ☏ . Free wireless internet, pets allowed. $60+.
Go next edit
- Maricopa - Located west of The Grapevine on Highway 166, this oil & agriculture town was the site of one of the largest oil spills in history when the Lakeview Gusher unleashed nine million barrels of oil onto the surrounding countryside.
- Bakersfield - Nicknamed "the country music capital of the West Coast", Bakersfield is the largest city in the southern San Joaquin Valley and is thus the best option for those seeking lodging, transportation, or other services.
|Routes through The Grapevine|
|Sacramento ← Buttonwillow ←||N S||→ Castaic → Los Angeles|
|Fresno ← Bakersfield ←||N S||→ END|
|Santa Maria ← Maricopa ←||W E||→ END|