Gros Islet is a town at the far northern end of Saint Lucia. It is the newest town in Saint Lucia, being the most recent to have been promoted from being a village.
There is a small beach at Gros Islet, but there are larger beaches and several large tourists resorts within walking distance to the north. Heading south, past the marina, the main beach on the west coast is Reduit Beach. The beaches on the east coast are exposed to the Atlantic wind, but are still largely untouched.
Rodney Bay Marina is to the south and becomes a hub of activity when the Atlantic Ralley for Cruisers (ARC) finishes there in December.
Beausejour Cricket Stadium is just outside of Gros Islet and was a venue for the 2007 Cricket World Cup.
The local bus service 1a runs regularly from Castries. A single should cost about EC$2.50.
Buses are the least expensive method of travelling. The bus route (1A) leaves from Gros Islet to Castries every few minutes. Minimum fare is EC$1.50, maximum fare is EC$2.50, per person. The buses have an 'M' prefix on their registration plates.
Taxis are numerous outside the large resorts, Rodney Bay and Castries, cost should be EC$60 between Gros Islet and Castries or EC$25 between Gros Islet and Rodney Bay. Taxis have a TX prefix on their registration plates.
- Pidgeon Island National Park (to the north of Gros Islet.).
There are a number of beaches within walking distance of Gros Islet.
- Reduit Beach. This is the most popular beach on the west coast, with the best amenities. It's only a few hundred metres from the beaches on the seafront at Gros Islet, but as the marina entrance is between the two, it's a good 30 minutes walk back along the main road and past the marina and then turn right at the shopping mall.
- Cas en Bas. On the east cost, this can be reached by following the (occasionally dirt) road that goes past the Cotton Bay Village resort. The beach has a couple of restaurants, but is still largely untouched. Its a popular spot for kite surfing and a kite surfing school operates from here.
- Anse Lavoutte. This is an almost completely secluded and untouched beach just around the headland to the south of Cas en Bas. It's popular with kite surfers and locals, who tend to drive there in the 4-wheel drive cars.
- Gros Islet Beach. Narrow beach on the seafront of Gros Islet town.
- Pigeon Point Beach. About 1 km long, north of Gros Islet town. The first half of the beach is undeveloped. There are usually few people, except on weekends. The second half of the beach is developed with Landings and Sandals Grande resorts.
- Every Friday evening, the streets of Gros Islet are closed off to cars and a vibrant street party ("The Jump-up") takes place. The bars stay open till late and numerous street vendors set up stalls selling local food.
- Rodney Bay Marina. The main yacht marina on Saint Lucia. It has good amenities and a range of overpriced cafes selling European food.
- Kite surfing. The windier beaches to the east of Gros Islet are popular with kite surfers. If you don't have your own kite, you can hire one (or arrange lessons) at the Kite Surfing St.Lucia on the Cas en Bas beach.
- [formerly dead link] Snuba Saint Lucia, Pigeon Island, ☏ +1 758 484-3346. 3. Snuba is the ultimate happy-medium for those wanting to go beyond snorkeling without the training and concerns associated with a deep dive. The tour begins from a sandy beach and descends to a maximum depth of 20 feet. There is no need to surface for air or to tussle with bulky equipment. US$75.
Rodney Bay Mall, about 5-10 minutes walk south of the marina, has a good range of shops and a well-stocked supermarket.
- Somewhere Special Restaurant and Bar, 18 Marie Therese St (Follow the main road in Gros Islet, turn right at the second last street before sea. Grey concrete house with pillars on the left hand side), ☏ +1 758 450-8481, +1 758 519-5787, firstname.lastname@example.org. 8AM to 10PM. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Local and international cuisine available. Internet Wifi and reasonable laundry service also available. From EC$6.
- [formerly dead link] Almond Morgan Bay, Choc Bay, toll-free: +1-800-4ALMOND (256663). All-inclusive resort covering 22 acres set amongst palms with a beach on a secluded cove.
- [formerly dead link] Almond Smugglers Cove, Cap Estates. A spacious, village-style resort located on 60 acres of lush tropical gardens.
- Bay Gardens Beach Resort and Spa, Rodney Bay, Gros Islet, ☏ +1 758-457-8500. Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 11AM. 4-star Caribbean beach resort on Reduit Beach.
- Bay Gardens Hotel, Rodney Bay, Gros Islet, ☏ +1 758-457-8000. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. Medium-sized 3-star property, 5 minutes away from sister property, Bay Gardens Beach Resort. From $70.
- Bay Gardens Inn, Rodney Bay, Gros Islet, ☏ +1 758-452-8200. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. Cosy, intimate 3-star hotel, voted Best Small Hotel in the Caribbean by Virgin Holidays. From $66.
- 1 Bay Guesthouse, Bay St (Seafront of Gros Islet), ☏ +1 758 450-8956, email@example.com. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. A relaxed atmosphere where each room has a private bathroom, free wifi and communal patio overlooking the sea with hammocks. From US$20 ppn.
- Cap Maison, Smugglers Cove Dr, ☏ +1 758 457-8670. Designed in an elegant Spanish Caribbean style, Cap Maison is a stylish boutique resort.
- [dead link] Glencastle Resort, Massade, ☏ +1 758 450-0833, fax: +1 758 450-0837, firstname.lastname@example.org. From US$75 single/$97 double.
- Hotel Chez Marie Alish, Massade-Gros-Islet (On the right of the main road through Gros Islet, just before the Police station), ☏ +1 758 450-0482, +1 758 450-8332, fax: +1 758 450-8279, email@example.com. Self-catering apartments. US$60 single/$65 double.
- La Panache Ocean View Guesthouse (corner of Hill Top Avenue and Cas En Bas Road, Gros Islet). Near Gros Islet, Rodney Bay and the marina yacht harbour, on a hill with a nice view. All apartments are equipped with a basic kitchen, bathrooms and ocean view balconies. High speed wireless Internet access is free. US$65.
- Nelson's Furnished Apartments, Cas En Bas Rd (5 minutes up the hill on the road that is the first right, just after the junction with the road to Gros Islet), ☏ +1 758 450-8275, fax: +1 758 450-9108, firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-out: noon. A very clean, well-equipped and friendly establishment, with views overlooking the marina. One of the cheapest options and with good wireless. From US$45.
- Stephanie's Hotel, Massade (opposite the turning to Gros Islet on the road that goes past Rodney Bay Marina), ☏ +1 758 450-8689, +1 758 450-8850, email@example.com. From US$53 without kitchen/US$65 with.
- 2 La Panache (La Panache Oceanview Guesthouse), Hill Top Ave (Cas En Bas Corner). The La Panache St. Lucia Caribbean guesthouse is located near Gros Islet, Rodney Bay and the marina yacht harbour on a hill with a stunning view. All apartments are equipped with a basic kitchen, bathrooms, balconies and spacious beds with fans and mosquito netting. Towels and bed linen are provided. High speed wireless Internet access is free. $65.
- 3 Windjammer Landing, Labrelotte Bay, ☏ +1 758-456-9000. Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 11AM. Mediterranean village-style resort on 55 acres of lush tropical landscaping overlooking picturesque Labrelotte Bay.