Hachijōjima (八丈島) is an island in Tokyo prefecture, some 300 kilometers south of Tokyo city.
Get in edit
By ferry edit
Tokaikisen operates a daily overnight ferry from Tokyo's Takeshiba pier, near the Daimon metro station. Leaving Tokyo at 22.30, and arriving 9.30 - prices vary seasonally but expect to pay around ¥9000 for a reclining seat.
By plane edit
ANA (All Nippon Airways) flies between Haneda airport in Tokyo and Hachijōjima up to four times a day. Prices vary seasonally, but expect to pay around ¥25,000-30,000 return. You can get around this by booking on the English version of the Japanese site. From this you will have access to the lowest fares.
Get around edit
Most hotels have bikes for hire, and there are several rent a car agencies on the island.
- 1 Uramigataki hot spring and waterfall. This is a free open air hot spring (onsen). The hot spring is mixed and you enter with swimming suit. After enjoying the hot water, take a short walk through lush forest to the nearby waterfall. If you feel a little adventurous, on the way to the waterfall, rock scramble the steep short path that will lead you to a small Shinto shrine.
Hunt for glow in the dark mushrooms, diving, snorkeling, and trekking to secret waterfalls in the mountains.
- Sea Dive, 1309-13 Mitsune (next to the Anchor pub), ☏ . Is a good outfit, with a friendly staff, recommended by the guys at the Anchor pub. Little English is spoken, but they seem pretty acquainted dealing with foreign tourists.
- 1 Sokodo beach. A very popular beach for snorkeling with the local sea turtles. The beach is sheltered and has shallow reefs of beautiful hard coral and colourful subtropical fish.
- 2 Nazumado (ナズマド). This is the most popular dive spot. Entry is a little slippery and ropes are provided to help. The site features rich marine life and a scenic swim through.
A very popular dish is shimasushi, featuring local raw marinated fish that has ginger instead of wasabi.
- [dead link] The Anchor Pub, 1309-13 Mitsune (opposite the ferry pier), ☏ . Cozy and laid back atmosphere, run by a friendly Australian-Japanese couple, who are both helpful, and very knowledgeable and about the island. Also serves up some classic pub foods, if fish and rice has started getting on your nerves.
- Sokodo-So (そこど荘), 100-1522 Mitsune (Just behind the anchor pub), ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 11.00, check-out: 10.00. Very nice place, with a pleasant atmosphere, and traditional style tatami rooms. The Friendly owners also rent out bikes as well as diving and snorkeling equipment. Singles from ¥6000.
- 1 Diver's Inn Kencha Rumah (ダイバーズイン ケンチャルマ), ☏ , email@example.com. Located in Okago town and near the airport, this accommodation offers accommodation and self-contained units. The place has a compressor and scuba tanks and is an ideal place for scuba divers. They can arrange bookings with local scuba diving shops, and they have a number of cars for rental. Free WiFi is provided.