Hagåtña (pronounced huh-GAHT-nya) is the capital of Guam. It is the island's second smallest village in both area and population. Hagåtña is the seat of local government and one of the island's major commercial districts. It has a population of only 1,100, but the surrounding metropolitan area is much larger.
Formerly known as Agana in English, Hagåtña (also spelled as Hagatna on various publications) is now known by its original name in the native Chamorro language, which was restored in 1998. It is speculated that Hagåtña roughly translates as "related to Agat" or "more/better Agat," Agat being a southern Guamanian village where the founders of Hagåtña are thought to have migrated from.
From the 18th through mid-20th century, it was Guam's population center; but following heavy bombardment during World War II, much of the village was destroyed and a majority of Hagåtna's population permanently relocated to neighboring villages. It was rebuilt to include large government and office buildings, and storefronts.
- 1 Fort Santa Agueda, Fort Ct (off Hwy 7). Ruins of a Spanish fort. Built around 1800. The United States used it as a signal station until 1933. During World War II, when Guam was oocupied by the Japanese military, it was converted to a gun emplacement. From Fort Santa Agueda, there is a great view of Guam.