The community (including the rural areas around Hagfors) is spread across 1,833 km², and has a population of about 13,000.
Hagfors has a beautiful nature with lot of water and plenty of forest. The landscape is characterized by larger and smaller lakes with rolling hills around. The iron industry has been and still is important for Hagfors. Tourism is growing and many activities are offered for visitors.
Hagfors is connected via the bike road Klarälvsbanan  to Karlstad. In Hagfors, all sites can be walked to. Travel by bus  to touristic destinations requires most often foot walks (and a map) since destinations are a bit further away from the main roads. The easiest way of travel is by car.
- Klarhälja [] is a festival which is arranged annually in beginning of July. It presents many traditional handicrafts as they were performed in the early 20th century. It takes place on a homestead museum, so that many types of old houses are displayed at the same time.
- Moose safaris are arranged by several organizers.
- Industrial museums are in Stjärnfors kvarn[ [dead link]] and Hamra vadmalsstamp [ [dead link]]
- Hiking in beautiful landscape.
- Swimming in lakes and rivers, or in Swimming hall in Hagfors
- Fishing: You need to buy a fishing license.
- Horse-back riding
- Bicycle rents available
- Paddling: Several places rent kayaks and canoes.
- Rent a draisine and go back and forth between Stjärnfors to Hagfors
- Build a raft and use it for travel in Klarälven.
- Husky-tour and Moose safaris 
- Skiing, good opportunities for both cross-country and downhill skiing -if there is snow..