Most people arrive with the free ferry (timetable 2017) from Oulunsalo on the mainland. The ferry takes both cars and lighter traffic.
In the winter when the ice is strong enough it is possible to drive to the island without taking the ferry.
You can reach Hailuoto by Oulu PTA's bus number 59 from Oulu. There are a couple of buses a day, and they also cross over to the island using the cable ferry.
The public transport in Hailuoto is operated by Oulu PTA. It mainly focuses on getting customers in and out, but it can also be used for traveling inside Hailuoto.
- Smartphone apps: Valopilkku, 02 Taksi
- Otaxi offers taxi service in Hailuoto
- Bättre Folk: 10–11 July 2020. A festival combining music and literature (date needs updating)
- 1 Hailuodon Huikku. A cafe at the cable ferry harbor.
- 2 [dead link] Cafe Bar Haiku, Luovontie 150. The local's "living room", in the main village next to the K-market.
- 3 Alko Order Point (Alkon tilauspalvelupiste). If you would like a bottle of something stronger than beer, the government's alcohol monopoly store operates an "order point" in the K-market store where you can order beverages to be delivered later the same day.
Go back to the mainland by ferry.