Haldia is located near the confluence of the Hooghly River, a distributary of the Ganges and Haldi River. Haldia Dock Complex, which is administratively a part of Kolkata Port Trust was commissioned in 1977. Haldia Refinery of Indian Oil Corporation was commissioned in 1975. Thereafter many industries cropped up in Haldia, including Haldia Petro-chemical complex.
1. Haldia Municipality Transport Service (Daily A.C. bus Service). Journey Time: 2.5 hrs, Distance: 122 km.
Kolkata Departure: 07AM, 04PM and 05:30 pm. Contact Numbers (Kolkata): 9331815444, 9903419264, 9231553659, 9331119797.
Haldia Departure: 07AM, 08AM and 04:45 pm. Contact Numbers (Haldia): 03224-641839, 9732721199, 9774000949.
Fare: ₹110.00 (Please check and confirm fare and timings before travelling),
2. Kolkata - Amtala - Roychak - Kukrahati - Haldia. Journey Time: 3.5 hrs, Distance : 85 km
Kolkata - Roychak : Bus No - RT 210, Frequency : Every 15 min to 30 min, Journey Time: 2 hrs, Fare: ₹24.00.
Roychak - Kukrahati : By Water Vessel of Haldia Municipality, Frequency : Every 15/30 mins, Journey Time: 15 mins, Fare : ₹8.50.
Kukrahati - Haldia : Private Bus, Mini Bus or Municipality Bus, Frequency : Every 15 min to 30 min, Journey Time: 40 mins to 1 hrs, Fare: ₹18.00.
1. Howrah - Mecheda - Haldia Journey Time: 1.5 hrs, Distance : 135 km Howrah - Mechada : By Mecheda, Panskura, Kharagpur or Medinipur Local train, Fare : About ₹15.00.
Mecheda - Haldia : By Private or State or Municipality Bus. Journey Time: 1.5 hrs, Frequency : Every 15 min to 30 min, Fare : About ₹30.00,
2. Howrah - Haldia.
Howrah - Haldia : By Haldia Local Train, Journey Time: 3.5 hrs, Frequency : Morning & Evening, Fare : About ₹30.00.
3. Asansol - Haldia.
Asansol Departure time : 05.40 hrs Haldia Arrivel time : 12.10 hrs, Frequency : Daily, Distance: 311 km. For more details visit : 
Industry/ Transportation landmarksEdit
Most travellers come to Haldia for business, and there is not that much to attract tourists. Watching daily activities of an industrial Indian city can be enjoyable though.
- The Golden Retreat, City Centre, Debhog, Haldia, East Midnapore (Heart of the city), ☏ . ₹2900/₹6500.
- The Golden Harvest, City Centre, Debhog, The Golden Retreat, ☏ . 12.30 to 3PM, 7.30 to 12.30PM. Northwest frontier cuisine
- Hotel Dreamland. 7PM to 11PM. Bar with music. Good place with soothing ambience.
- Royal Harbour. Good crowd in the bar with high class officers and businessmen frequenting the place. There is a protocol and dress code for this place so no non-sense is allowed here.
- 1 The Golden Retreat, Debhog, City centre (heart of the city), ☏ . Check-in: 12 noon, check-out: 12 noon. Set on 10 acres of tranquil land, amidst lush green surroundings, is a retreat with centrally air-conditioned superior deluxe rooms and suites. The Victorian architecture, spacious interiors, enchanting artifacts and tasteful furnishings spell discreet elegance, creating an atmosphere so relaxing that you can sink into it. ₹2900/₹6500.
- 2 The Royal Harbour, Kshudiram Square, Basudevpur, Haldia, ☏ , , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a luxury lodge cum hotel cum restaurant with centrally air-conditioned superior deluxe rooms and suites.
- Hotel Dreamland, HPL Link Road, Khanjanchak, Basudevpur, ☏ .
- 3 Hotel Balaji Continental, Ranichawk (Near Shramik Bhawan), ☏ .
- 4 Hotel East Coast, Durgachawk, ☏ .
- 5 Hotel Millenium Inn, Khanjanchawk, ☏ .
- 6 Hotel Sagar, Talpukur, ☏ .
- Samrat Lodge, Durgachawk, ☏ .
- Embassy Hotel, ☏ .
- Hotel Dock Place (Near Durgachak Super Market), ☏ .
- Hotel Karan International, Khanjanchak, ☏ .
- 7 India Lodge, Durgachawk New Market, ☏ .
- Hotel Pearage, Bhawanipur, ☏ .
- Hotel Classic Inn, Manjushree Morh, ☏ .
- Hotel Continental (Near IOC Gate No. 1), ☏ .
- Mohana (Benfish Tourism), ☏ . Located on an island in the Haldi river at Nayachar (Meendwip), connected with Haldia by ferry service. Natural beauty of the place attracts tourists.