Harbour Island is a Caribbean island that was once the capitol of the Bahamas. Harbour Island is set off the north east coast of Eleuthera Island. The only town on the island is Dunmore Town, named after the former Governor of the Bahamas, the Earl of Dunmore (1786-1798), who had a summer residence on Harbour Island.
Get in Edit
The yacht marina is served by Valentines Resort and Marina and can be contacted at .
By air, fly to North Eleuthera airport (ELH). Taxis will take you from the airport to the ferry dock for $5 per person. The ferry is then another $5 per person. Porters will handle your luggage at every stage, including from the tarmac and expect tips ($5 for 3 bags). The whole process is surprisingly efficient at busy times; when it's slow, expect to wait up to 15 minutes for a ferry to fill up and go.
- 1 North Eleuthera (ELH).
Get around Edit
Car rentals are unavailable, but you can (and should!) rent a golf cart.
- Junkanoo Cabs, ☏ . $5 per person.
- Ross Rentals, ☏ . Golf cart rentals
Harbour Island is famous for turquoise water and pink sand beaches which are found all along the east side of the island. The island is accessible by plane through North Eleuthera Airport, followed by a short water taxi ride from neighbouring North Eleuthera. Harbour Island is a popular holiday destination for Americans. Known as Briland to the locals, Harbour Island is colourful with New England-style buildings and flower lined streets. Harbour Island is part of the Out Islands of the Bahamas.
- 1 Pink Sand beach (From town, go up the hill to the phone tower, then follow signs). - renting a beach chair for the day is $10. The chair rental places also sell snacks and have a full bar.
Lots of wonderful restaurants all over the island.
- 1 Blue Bar (In the Pink Sands resort). beach bar with excellent drinks and good food. Service can be slow. $20 for lunch entree; $15 for a stiff pina colada.
- 2 Runaway Hill Inn. beautiful view over the beach, top notch service and food. Kid friendly. $50 for a main course.
- 3 Queen Conch (Follow Bay St north from the government dock). Great conch salad along with items like chicken fingers and sandwiches. Popular with locals and tourists. 12 for a conch salad.
Harbour island is home to luxurious vacation homes and is known as a premier family vacation destination for the travel elite. This travel destination is known for it's high caliber resorts, upscale shopping, and exclusive yacht marina.