Harlowton is surrounded by the Crazy, Little Belt and Big Snowy Mountains, which are a part of the Lewis and Clark National Forest.
Harlowton is located at the intersection of US Highway 12, US Highway 191 and State Highway 3; about an hour-and-a-half northwest of Billings and 2 hours east of Helena.
As a small town, there is no public transportation.
- Harlowton Milwaukee Depot Museum, 307 Central Ave S, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Showcases the history of the Harlowton railroad and the growth of the town.
- Judith Gap Wind Farm & Energy Centre (Blade Park), 1030 US Highway 191, Judith Gap (12 miles N of Harlowton on US 191/MT 3), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Spring/Summer: M-F 8AM-5PM. Montana's largest wind farm which is, at times, the highest producing facility in the U.S. Visitor kiosks are located at the Wind Farm entrance called Blade Park.
- Wheatland County Court House, 201 A Ave NW. Of special interest are the pioneer bronze sculpture, entitled "And They Called the Land Montana", and the Veteran's Honor Wall located in front of the court house.
- Upper Musselshell Museum, 11 Central Ave S & 36 Central Ave S, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Local museum featuring local artefacts as well as collections of fossils and bones, a 2000-year-old buffalo skull and a new Plains Indian exhibit. Located in two sandstone buildings, constructed prior to 1909, in downtown Harlowton.
The National Forest offers plenty of acreage for recreational activities such as camping, sightseeing, hunting, OHV riding, and snowmobiling. Fishing access sites are located along the Musselshell River or at nearby Deadman's Basin or Martinsdale Reservoir. There are three parks located within Harlowton: Chief Joseph Park, Deer Park, and Fischer Park. The old Milwaukee Railroad trackbed has been converted into the "Smoking Boomer" trail.
- Gally's Brewing Co, 30 Central Ave S (The Montana Building), ☏ . Taproom: F 4-9, Sa noon-9, Su noon-6.
- Corral Motel, 1307 US-12, ☏ .
- Country Side Inn, 309 3rd St NE, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ Stfishingmt@yahoo.com.
|Routes through Harlowton|
|Helena ← White Sulphur Springs ←||W E||→ Forsyth → Miles City|
|Swift Current ← Lewistown ←||N S||→ Big Timber → Bozeman|
|END ← Great Falls ←||NW SE||→ Billings → END|