St. Louis Metro East is a region of southwestern Illinois that includes the Illinois part of the St. Louis metropolitan area, plus surrounding counties. It consists of the counties of Bond, Calhoun, Clinton, Fayette, Jersey, Madison, Marion, Monroe, Randolph, St. Clair, and Washington. The most populous city is Belleville, which is not far southeast of East St. Louis, which was once the most populous.
- 1 Alton - Historic Homes, 50 Antique Shops, 9 Golf Courses, Bed and Breakfasts, Meeting of the Great Rivers National Scenic Byway, and Argosy Alton Casino among other things.
- 2 Belleville
- 3 Cahokia
- 4 Collinsville
- 5 East St. Louis - Historically the biggest city in the southern third of Illinois, East St. Louis has experienced grave population loss since the middle of the 20th century and while vast is now less populated than many of the area's smaller cities.
- 6 Edwardsville
- 7 Fairmont City
- 8 Granite City
- 9 Lebanon
- 10 O'Fallon - North of Belleville and was home to the U.S. Air Force's blimp squadron
- 11 St. Elmo
1 Lambert St. Louis International Airport (STL IATA) is the largest airport serving St. Louis, with annual passenger traffic of approximately 13 million people. The airport is 14 miles northwest of the city center and is directly served by the MetroLink light rail line. A 2-hour MetroLink transfer ticket costs $4 from the airport. Uber vehicles are not allowed to pick up at the airport, although they may drop off passengers.
The easiest way to get around, since this is a quite suburban area.
The St Louis area's light rail system, it runs deep into Illinois. Many of the Illinois stations have free parking.
The Metro East is divided into Madison County (north) and St. Clair County (South).
- 1 Lewis and Clark State Historic Site, One Lewis and Clark Trail, Hartford, ☏ . Lewis and Clark spent the winter of 1803-04 gathering men and supplies and planning their trip west. At 3PM on May 14, 1804 they set out from this spot to explore the west. The museum includes a 55 ft long full-size replica of their keelboat and an outdoor reconstruction of Camp River Dubois.
Built in 1907, Twiss House is a Queen Anne home in Aviston, IL listed in the National Register of Historic Places. 800+ sq ft of attic space has been recently remodeled into a private suite. Approximately 35 miles east of downtown St Louis.
- Timmermann House Bed & Breakfast located outside of Aviston, with stargazing, sound of distant train whistles. Decorated with antiques and collectables with a gourmet breakfast.
East St.Louis has the reputation locally of being one of the most dangerous towns in the United States.