Get in edit
Trains from Manchester Piccadilly to Sheffield run hourly via New Mills, Chinley, then through a long tunnel to Edale, Hope, Bamford, 1 Hathersage railway station, Grindleford, and Dore & Totley.
Bus 271 runs from Sheffield to Fox House, Hathersage, Bamford, Hope and Castleton. It runs M-Sa every couple of hours.
Bus 65 runs from Sheffield to Meadowhall, Fox House and Grindleford then heads south to Calver, Eyam, Great Hucklow, Tideswell and Buxton. It doesn't reach Hathersage.
A6187 passes through the village to join A57 at Ladybower Reservoir.
Get around edit
- 1 St Michael and All Angels' Church. 14th century. Stones in the churchyard mark what is known as the grave of Little John
- 1 Stanage Edge. This gritstone scarp is a good hiking and climbing area, with great views and innumerable climb sites. It stretches for five miles, best accessed from the south: from Hathersage railway station walk up The Dale for a couple of miles, or use one of the several car parks.
- 2 Burbage Edge is the southern extension of Stanage Edge, where a mixture of natural edge and past quarrying have left dozens of climbing routes. Best visited early evening. The nearby boulders can be used for practice by less experienced climbers. Walk there from Fox House Inn on A6187, which has buses from Hathersage and Sheffield. if driving, use the large car park off Ringinglow Road, which climbs up from Hathersage and across the moor to meet Eccy Road in Sheffield.
- 3 Millstone Edge on Sheffield city boundary is a former gritstone quarry with sheer walls blasted smooth by dynamite, so it's a challenging site. It's two miles to walk from Hathersage, or take a bus or park at "Surprise View car park" where A6187 pitches over the scarp.
- 1 YHA Hathersage, Castleton Road, ☏ .
- 2 George Hotel, Main Road, Hathersage S32 1BB, ☏ . Comfy pub with rooms in a Tudorbethan coaching inn, good food. No dogs. B&B double £100.
- 3 North Lees Campsite, Birley Lane, Hathersage S32 1DY, ☏ . Simple tranquil campsite near Stanage Edge. Tent £18.
- 4 Plough Inn, Bridge, Hathersage S32 1BA, ☏ . Cosy pub with meals and rooms. B&B double £100.