Hella is a village in South Iceland, 97 km east of the capital city, Reykjavík. It's an important base for adventures into the highlands, to places such as Landmannalaugar and Þórsmörk. Hella is a very tranquil village of only about 750 inhabitants, situated on the South Iceland's interior lowlands. It was blessed with a beautiful setting, like a green oasis in the desert with the calm and beautiful Rangá river passing through and the stunning view to the surrounding highlands all around. Hella's economy relies on tourism, as well as the chicken factory, slaughter house, glass factory and horse breeding. The volcano Hekla is in the vicinity.
Public transportation has always been controversial subject in South Iceland. Bílar og Fólk offers bus trips in South Iceland, passing through Hella.
- Swimming Pool, ☏ . Útskálar 6, 850 Hella. The swimming pool and spa is an amazing place to unwind, alone or with family or friends. The pool is heated to a comfortable 35°C with natural hot water, and a slide to keep everyone entertained. There's also a variety of pool toys available free of charge. The area also has two hotter jacuzzis, a baby pool and a steam sauna. Entrance fee to the area is around US$3.
- Handicraft Markets Hekla Handverkshús is a handicraft market run by local women.
- Golf, ☏ . About 5 km east of Hella is one of Iceland's best golf courses, Strandarvöllur. Clubs can be rented at an extra price.
- Horse Riding The local horse rental is Hekluhestar, leaving from the farm of Árbær, west of Hella.
- Hóllinn Viewpoint A small hill, accessible from Freyvangur street, offers amazing view over the surrounding highlands, including Hekla Volcano and the glaciers.
- Fishing The river of Ytri Rangá, passing through Hella, is one of Iceland's best salmon rivers, where the rich and famous come to fish. License can be bought through http://www.lax-a.is
- Hekla Handverkshús The local women's coop offering a large variety of handicraft made by the local craftswomen. Next to Brenna Guesthouse.
- Kökuval Konditori Bakery offering fresh bread, pastries, cakes, coffee and drinks earlier than other shops, great for breakfast. Located at Þingskálar 5, 850 Hella - Behind Hotel Mosfell.
- Kjarval is the local supermarket, located by Road nr. 1. Locals head to Bónus in Selfoss, just over 30 km away for cheaper groceries.
- Olís The local petrol station offers snacks, sweets, sandwiches, sodas and simple things for the car.
- Kanslarinn Restaurant National Rd. 1 in Hella. Offers fast food and Icelandic cuisine such as lamb and fish, as well as beef. Cheap All you can eat lunch buffets every weekday until 13:00.
- Árhús Café By Rangá riverbank. Offers coffee, tea, cakes, soup, salad, fast food and steaks and pizza buffet with soup and salad at midday on Fridays.
- Hotel Rangá Restaurant is the most upscale restaurant, located 6 km west of Hella.
- Kanslarinn Restaurant hosts occasional concerts, mostly classic rock.
|Routes through Hella|
|Reykjavík ← Selfoss ←||W E||→ Vík → Egilsstaðir|