Helmond is a city in the province of North Brabant in the Netherlands. With a population of nearly 90,000 people, it's the fifth largest city of North Brabant. Typical of Helmond is its history of metal and textile industries. Lot of street names ending on wal (wall) point to the former ramparts of the fortified Helmond, where the fourteenth-century castle was part of.
Helmond originated from a settlement in 1179 and was first mentioned in a bull of Pope Alexander III. The city was founded in 1225 by Duke Henry I of Brabant. Helmond received city rights in 1232. In the 19th century the textile industry took off. At this time the Zuid-Willemsvaart was built that connects Helmond with 's-Hertogenbosch and Maastricht. Along the canal villas of textile barons remember to the former textile industry.
Nearby is Eindhoven Airport. Ryanair, Wizzair, Transavia and more companies, service this airport from more than 60 destinations within Europe. Getting from the airport to Helmond is possible by public transport; the most convenient is by bus to Eindhoven railway station to take a direct train to Helmond.
The A270 highway connects Helmond with Eindhoven. Secondary roads N279 run North to Den Bosch, N270 East to Venray and N612 South direction Weert with a connection to the A67 (Antwerp-Venlo) after 2km.
The regional buses, operated by the Ariva, link Helmond with major surrounded cities. As these are the regional buses, they do not go directly between these city but stop at several small villages. Hermes bus company operates within the boundaries of the city. Travelling inside the city by bus is difficult because many lines have been cancelled.
In you want to travel quickly between cities in the region you can also travel by taxi. Prices will vary, but if you use a taxi with more people than this is still a cheap way of transportation in and around Helmond. There are several taxi services available, but if you need a good and reliable one call +31 492 511517 or visit the website
- Brandevoort. Brandevoort is a recently built district inspired on old Brabant towns and villages. No house is exactly the same, although all homes fit beautifully together with their colors in mostly earth and whites. Even the English Prince Charles has admiringly elated about this district, whose style is now eagerly copied in other cities.
- Helmond castle, Kasteelplein 1. The castle of Helmond is built in 1325. Despite a fierce fire in 1549 it remained well preserved. The castle has been in use as a town hall since 1923 until the 1970s when it became a town museum.
- Lambertus church, Kerkstraat 51, ☏ . The Saint Lambert church is built from 1856-1861 in neo-Gothic style. It replaced the previous medieval church.
- Saint Lucia church, Hoofdstraat 157, ☏ . The St. Lucia Church was built in 1896 in neo-Gothic style
- Water tower, Torenstraat. The water tower is built in 1948. The twelve-brick tower is 47.3 m high. The ground plan has a cross-shaped structure and the carrying structure is made up of concrete. The total reservoir capacity is 1200 m³.
- Rondje Helmond.  A 43-km cycling route in and around Helmond.
- 1 [dead link] Gemeentemuseum Helmond (Town museum), Kasteelplein 1, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-F 10:00-17:00, Sa Su 13:00-17:00. The Gemeentemuseum Helmond is located in two buildings, Castle Helmond and Boscotondohal. In the basement is an exhibition about the building and its residents and on the history of Helmond. People and Work is a permanent exhibition. It is a collection of art from home and abroad with the working man as a theme. In Boscotondohal are often exhibitions and is contemporary art from the period 1920-1980. €7.5 adult, €4 child.
- 2 Home Computer Museum. Museum with many old computers on display. The museum includes an arcade hall and a shop.
Most shops can be found in the Veestraat, Markt and in the Elzas-passage, a covered shopping centre.
- [formerly dead link] Charlee Browns Place, Noord Koninginnewal 7, ☏ .
- Ons Loes, Frans Joseph v Thielpark 4, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-Su 12:00-21:00. Nice ambience overlooking the historic castle.
- Paviljoen de Warande, De Kluis 2, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Su 11:00-21:00. €24.50 three-course menu.
- Ristorante Sicilia, Steenweg 7-9, ☏ . Tu-Su 17:00-23:00. €27.50 three-course menu.
- De Steenoven, Steenovenweg 21, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Mediterranean cuisine. €64 four-course menu inclusive drinks.
There are a lot of pubs in Helmond. In Helmond centre near the Zuid-Willemsvaart are some nice pubs with terraces.
- Golden Tulip Hotel West-Ende (Brasserie Rubenshof), Steenweg 1, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. This 4-star hotel offer 70 comfortable rooms with free WiFi. It has a restaurant €109.
- Sint Lambert, Markt 2, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Hotel Restaurant Sint Lambert is in the centre of Helmond at the foot at the Sint Lambertus Church. It has 6 double rooms and 12 single rooms. €93.50.
The international telephone country code for the Netherlands is 31, the area code for Helmond is 0492. If dialing from abroad, use +31 but then leave out the 0 in the area code.
PostNL runs several post offices in the centre of town.
Visit Den Bosch, the historic capital of North Brabant or visit the nearby national park De Groote Peel.
- 1 De Groote Peel National Park, Visitors Centre: Moostdijk 15, Ospel-Nederweert, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A largely excavated bog area on the border of the Dutch provinces of Limburg and North Brabant. Once this was a very impervious area. De Groote Peel has an area of approximately 15 km² and is accessed by three routes for hikers. De Groote Peel is considered one of the richest bird areas of Western Europe.