Hermantown is a city in Minnesota.
Hermantown is a prosperous residential suburb of Duluth. The US-53 (Miller Trunk Highway) corridor, which continues seamlessly from Duluth, is quite built-up with strip malls, motels, restaurants, light industrial businesses, trailer parks, and surrounding housing developments; the rest, especially the western part of town, retains a rural feel.
There are two major arterial routes running through Hermantown. The first is the above mentioned US-53, locally known as the "Miller Trunk", which connects International Falls and the Iron Range to Duluth and points beyond. The second is US-2, which briefly runs through the western part of town before entering Proctor and is much less developed.
The only practical way of getting around Hermantown is by private automobile. The DTA (Duluth Transportation Authority) bus system lines end at the Airport, Wal-Mart, and run along Haines Road, which are only on the outer edges of Hermantown.
Hermantown is adjacent to Duluth, so you'll be spending most of your time there.
- Go bowling at Skyline Lanes, 4894 Miller Trunk Highway, 218-727-8555.
- Popular pastimes among the youth include hanging out at the Walmart Supercenter (Miller Trunk Hwy & Mall Dr) and loitering in its parking lot, and gathering at the nearby McDonalds (slightly off Miller Trunk Hwy & Arrowhead) and watching movies at the Lakes 10 Theater (Miller Trunk Hwy & Stebner Rd.).
- Swim, fish, or golf at Pike Lake (Midway Rd & Martin Rd).
Hermantown is home to about half of Duluth's "Mall Area", so expect to find the usual selection of national and regional chain stores. Ones within Hermantown city boundaries include Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, Gander Mountain, Menard's, and HOM Furniture. Farther along US-53, the selection becomes more local.
- Gordy's Gift & Garden, 4899 Miller Trunk Highway, ☏ .
- Wood Magic, 5105 Miller Trunk Highway, ☏ . A variety of crafts, collectibles, and decorating items.
- Adolph General Store, 3710 Midway Rd, ☏ . Looks like a simple gas station from the outside, with obnoxious canned advertisements and country music playing over the PA system near the pumps, but don't be deceived: Adolph Store has a great selection of fresh meats, whether in stick, patty, or slab form. Vegetable stand outside in the summer months.
- China Star Family Restaurant, 4224 Haines Rd, ☏ .
- Do North Pizzeria, 5094 Miller Trunk Highway, ☏ . In the "Downtown Hermantown" strip mall development.
- Larry's Coneys and Cafe, 4899 Miller Trunk Hwy, ☏ . # 100,
- Maya Family Mexican Restaurant, 4702 Miller Trunk Hwy, ☏ .
- Starvin Marvin, 5691 Hwy 2, ☏ .
- Zen House, 4147 Haines Rd, ☏ . Contained in the ICO gas station on the corner of Haines Rd and Maple Grove Rd, this local Japanese restaurant's first location (2006) serves up surprisingly good food and ambiance. Try their udon noodle soup. Entrees $6 - $15, (big) sushi rolls $4 - $15.
- Beacon Sports Bar, 5044 Hermantown Rd, ☏ .
- Chalet Lounge, 4833 Miller Trunk Hwy, ☏ .
- Foster's Sports Bar & Grill, 4767 W Arrowhead Rd, ☏ . Karaoke Friday & Saturday nights.
- McKenzies Bar & Grill, 5094 Miller Trunk Hwy. Suite 700. In the "downtown Hermantown" strip mall development.
- Runway Bar & Grill, 4766 W Arrowhead Rd, ☏ .
- Airliner Motel, 5002 Miller Trunk Highway, ☏ .
- Country Inn & Suites, 4257 Haines Rd, ☏ .
- Econo Lodge Airport, 4197 Haines Rd, ☏ .
- Edgetown Motel, 5150 Miller Trunk Highway, ☏ .
- Ogston's RV Park, 5020 Ogston Dr, ☏ .
- Park RV Camping, 5109 Miller Trunk Highway, ☏ .
- Skyline Court Motel, 4880 Miller Trunk Highway, ☏ .