Hofuf (الهفوف al-Hofuf) is a city in the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia. The city is located within the oasis of al-Ahsa (or al-Hasa), and the names are often used interchangeably. In 2018 this oasis was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Hofuf is around 3 h from Riyadh and 1.5h from Dammam by train. Saudi Railway Organisation[dead link] runs four trains per day in each direction.
- 1 Hofuf railway station.
SAPTCO Bus service 3.5 hours from Riyadh and 2 hours from Dammam
Taxi service is available in downtown Hofuf, at SAPTCO bus station and at train station. Hard to find on road (Saudi Riyal 10 -20 per trip to get around in the city).
Many car rental services are also available. You need your ID and driving license (Saudi Riyals 70 to 200 per day per 200 km).
Southeast Asians provide an on-call cab service (this is usually through a personal contact that you can call later). These cabbies can take you within the city and to anywhere in the Gulf region.
- 1 Jawatha Mosque (مَسْجِد جَوَاثَا) (12 km northeast of central Hofuf). The mosque where Friday prayers were offered for the first time outside Medina in 8th Hijri (Around 630 AD).
- Jabl-e Gara. A mountain of mud with natural caves and sulci.
- 2 Qasr Ibrahim. Located in the down town of Hafuf this is a palace of Ibrahim Basha of Egypt. Surrounded by 10 meter high wall spread of 7-8 acres castle is made of mud.
- Al-Oqair Beach. One of the oldest beaches in eastern coasts of the country which opened India to Muslims in 712 AD and where a treaty was signed by Saudi King and British Government after First World War. The history goes back to 300 BC.
Reserve a Mazra (a farm house) and spend a day or two with date palm trees. All facilities including private swimming pools available.
Only shawarma, snacks and beverages are available in small shops nearby the cave. Since moving around takes at least 4-5 hours to enjoy the location, you will derive more enjoyment if you can carry own food, especially if you are a vegetarian.
Check out Alsaid Coffee for some pricy but authentic coffee house atmosphere in the Souq. Great place to chat especially in late hours when people are going out again.
- 1 Al Ahsa InterContinental, Al Malik Khaled St, ☏ +966 13 533 5555. A new 5-star hotel in Al-Hofuf. Contains everything a five star hotel is expected to offer, except for a bar.