Homburg is a city in Saarland in Germany. It's midway between Kaiserlautern and Saarbrücken, and 20 km from the border with France. Its main attraction is the huge system of sandstone caves, tunnelled out since the 17th century as raw material for glass-making.
This town isn't the birthplace of the Homburg hat, that's Bad Homburg in Hesse.
Get in Edit
Homburg can be found to the east of Kreuz Neukirchen where the A6 crosses the A8.
Get around Edit
- 1Schlossberghöhlen , Am Schloßberg 1a, ☏ , email@example.com. April-October 9:00-17:00, November-March 10:00-16:00, December and January closed. Europe's largest system of man made sandstone caves. The walls consist mainly of wet, very soft, yellow or red compressed sand. All year round, the temperature is about 10°C and humidity 80-100%. The guided tour starts at each full hour. 2015-08 only one of the 12 levels of the cave is accessible, but soon access to all but 2 levels will be possible - construction works have already been completed, only the certification process is still going on.
The construction started in 17th century as sand mine for glass production, later also for iron and wood industries. Then the French troops used the caves. When they left Homburg in 1714, they destroyed the fortress and also closed all entries, so the cave was forgotten until playing kids rediscovered them in the 1930s. During World War II, they served as bomb shelter and housing for around 5000 people. During the 1950, a bunker system was added but never finished. The latest construction works added protection for the visitors. €5 for adults, €3 for pupils and kids aged 4 to 16 years, €11 for familiies (2 adutls + 1 child), €2.50 each additional family child. Groups €10 for guide and per person €0.50 discount on normal price. Combined ticket with roman museum available..
- 2 Schloss Karlsberg. castle ruins. also the fort Homburg and the Hohenburg
- 3 Wörschweiler Abbey (Kloster Wörschweiler). Cistercian ruins
- [formerly dead link] Karlsberg Brewery, Karlsbergstraße 62. if thirst is bothering you make sure to try Karlsberg Urpils out.
- Hohenburg-Jugendherberge, Am Mühlgraben 30, 66424 Homburg, ☏ .
- Landhaus Roth, Steinbachstraße 92. Also restaurant
- Hotel Bürgerhof, Bahnhofspl. 14 (near station).
- Hotel Euler, Talstraße 40.
- Hotel Restaurant Ruble, Dürerstraße 164.
- Schloßberg Hotel, Schlossberg-Höhen-Straße 1. Also restaurant
- [dead link] Hotel Schweizerstuben, Kaiserstraße 72. Also restaurant