- For other places with the same name, see Huizhou (disambiguation).
Huizhou (惠州; Huìzhōu in Mandarin, Fui4ziu1 in Hakka) is a city in Guangdong.
The sight of Huizhou to the average traveller invariably arouses surprise. Some 40 miles north of Shenzhen, in verdant, tropical countryside, a common reaction is "Where did this place come from?" Until the 1980s, Huizhou was a sleepy Guangdong town on the Pearl River Delta. It has since exploded with industry, attracting investment from Japanese, Korean, European and American companies. It is one of the most architecturally pleasing mid-sized cities in all of Guangdong, and one of the very richest.
Hakka is the main language spoken in Huizhou, though many locals also speak Cantonese due to its proximity to Cantonese-speaking cities in the Pearl River Delta. As elsewhere in mainland China, Mandarin is the official language, and spoken by most younger locals.
If you get off the plane at Shenzhen airport, you can get here by Intercity Bus [dead link]. The earliest bus begins at 07:10. It will take you about 1½ hours.
The city has a couple of railway stations (Huizhou Station and Huizhou West Station - Huizhou South station is nowhere near downtown) linking it with many cities around China. There are plans to link Huizhou by high-speed underground train with Shenzhen, which will effectively provide the city with a rapid-transit link to downtown Hong Kong. Dongguan Rail Transit (Metro) Line 2 runs from Dongguan railway station in Shilong to Humen railway station in Dongguan (as of March 2019).
Xihu East Station (西湖东站) is conveniently located for visiting West Lake.
The main bus station (Huizhou coach terminal) has regular buses to Guangzhou Tianhe (¥64, 2hr 30min), Shenzhen Louhu (¥60, 1hr 20 min) and many other cities in the province.
There are also direct but less frequent coaches to Hong Kong which can be cheaper than getting the bus to the border then the MTR. These pick up at hotels in Huizhou rather than the bus station.
Huizhou has a comprehensive, clean and cheap bus system. Most bus rides cost a flat rate of ¥2, just drop your notes/coins into the box (no change given) or ¥1.6 if you have a "lingnantong" transport card - well worth investing in if you plan to stay in Guangdong long term (can also be used in the Guangzhou metro). Can be purchased from selected newsagents for a ¥20 deposit.
Taxis are everywhere. Flagfall for regular taxis is ¥5 or for the more opulent Kande Hotel Taxis which operate throughout the city, ¥8.
- Golden Bay (Xun Liao Wan) (金海湾（巽竂湾）). Bay (Sunda Liao Bay), in Huidong County Ping Town South, is south of the Tropic of Cancer, the South China Sea in the east of Dayawan, Banghai.
- Beach Spa (海滨温泉). The hot springs recreation area to the marine culture as the theme, more than 72 kinds of size, function is an open-air hot spring pool, dotted in the coastal garden: a warm and romantic couples pool house; there are all kinds of fitness adjustable feeding health spa, in the health area of sea turtles in the stomach bubble Long Quan, also can hide in the big gourd enjoy traditional Chinese medicine bath, also can be in the big pot enjoy tea bath; and the spa area is more popular, is the good place with beauty.
- [dead link] Luofu Mountain (罗浮山).
- Xiangtou Mountain (象头山 Xiàngtóu Shān).
- 1 Huizhou West Lake (惠州西湖). The beautiful, 17th-century West Lake, complete with pagoda and gardens.
- [dead link] Nankun Mountain National Forest Park (南昆山国家森林公园).
- Wing Kee Farm Park (永记生态园).
Huizhou has no shortage of Japanese and western restaurants. Traditional Chinese food can be sampled on every corner. Hong Kong/Canton food is for obvious reasons especially popular with the locals. For those self-catering, Park'n'Shop, Vanguard and Walmart have a wide selection of western foods.
There is a few vegetarian (usually Buddhist) restaurants in Huizhou.
The English Bar and Relax Bar (both on the river) are very popular with expats and serve imported draft beers and liquors. The cocktail bar at the 5-star Kande Hotel (West Lake) is another popular hangout for expats.
- 1 Homeland International Hotel, No.3 Zhongshan 4th Road, Danshui Town, Huiyang District, Huizhou 516211. Over. The. Top.
- Jinhai Resort (惠东巽寮金海湾度假酒店). The Jinhai Resort (Huidong Xunliao Jinhaiwan Dujiajiudian) is located in Songyuan Bay at the foot of a mountain by the sea. This Huizhou resort features sandy beach. Guests have plenty of activities to keep them busy with yachting, shell picking, diving, beach volleyball, fishing, bonfire and karaoke.
- Golden Jazzy Hotel (金爵大酒店). The Golden Jazzy Hotel provides a low-cost option for travellers who want to go to the northern part of the city.
- Hong Kong - nicknamed the Pearl of the Orient, Hong Kong is a city with heavy British influence. You can experience Western and Chinese culture in Hong Kong.