- Stewart International Airport, 1180 First St, New Windsor, +1 845 564-2100. The closest major airport is about 30 miles away, across the Hudson River from Beacon.
- Metro-North Railroad - Hudson line [dead link]. There is service between New York City's Grand Central Terminal and Poughkeepsie. On-board train fares are subject to a stiff surcharge, so buy your tickets at the station or at the vending machines located on the platform. Pick up local taxi to Hyde Park, about 7 miles.
- Amtrak. Long distance connections are available at Metro-North's Poughkeepsie station.
- 1 Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library & Museum, 4079 Albany Post Rd, toll-free: . (Route 9). This is the first presidential library, and to date the only one used by its namesake while in office. Museum hours 9AM-5PM daily November–March; 9AM-6PM April–October.
- 2 Eleanor Roosevelt National Historic Site, ☏ . Route 9G. The only National Historic Site dedicated to a First Lady. Val-Kill is a modest home and it is the only one that was Eleanor's alone. House open daily May through October, 9AM-5PM.
- 3 Home of Franklin D. Roosevelt National Historic Site, Albany Post Rd (Route 9), ☏ . Open year round, daily. Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day. Buildings are open 9AM-5PM, grounds are open 7AM to sunset.
- 4 Vanderbilt Mansion National Historic Site, 4428 Albany Post Rd, ☏ . (Route 9). A magnificent mansion from the gilded age, set on 212 acres overlooking the Hudson River. Completed in 1898 for Frederick William Vanderbilt, grandson of Cornelius Vanderbilt. 45-minute guided tours of the mansion run daily 9AM-5PM, last tour begins at 4PM; $8 adult, 15 and under free; closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day. Grounds open every day, year-round, 7AM-sunset, free. National Parks Pass accepted.
- 5 Mills Mansion (aka Staatsburgh State Historic Site), Old Post Road, Staatsburg, ☏ . The country estate of Ogden and Ruth Livingston Mills is located about 4 miles north of Hyde Park, overlooking the Hudson River. This 65 room (plus 14 bathrooms) mansion was designed by Stanford White and is a bit larger than the Vanderbilt home.
Take a guided kayak tour on the Hudson River. The River Connection, 9 West Market St, +1 845 229-0595.
There are several antiques shops in town.
There are a Dairy Queen and McDonalds on the Albany Post Road, but with so many CIA students and faculty in the area you are sure to find more interesting eats elsewhere.
- 1 Eveready Diner, 4184 Albany Post Rd, ☏ .
- Hyde Park Brewing Company, 4076 Albany Post Rd. (Route 9). Open 7 days, M-Sa 11AM-2AM, Su noon-midnight. Lunch $8-$10, dinner $13-$25. CIA graduate chef and a variety of beer brewed on premises—great combo.
- Coppola's Italian/American Bistro, 4167 Albany Post Rd, ☏ . (Route 9). M-Th 11:30AM-9:30PM, F-Sa 11:30AM-10PM, Su 10:30AM-2PM, Sunday brunch 12PM-9PM.
- 2 The Culinary Institute of America, 433 Albany Post Rd, ☏ . (reservation line). Select from five restaurants run by students and faculty: American Bounty (regional American, features Hudson Valley ingredients), Apple Pie Bakery Café (bakery and pastry), Ristorante Caterina de' Medici (Italian), St. Andrew's Café (casual, family-friendly), and Escoffier Restaurant (French). 3 are open Monday through Friday, 2 are open Tuesday through Saturday. Be sure to make reservations in advance.
- 1 Darby O'Gills, 3969 Albany Post Rd, ☏ . An Irish Bar and Restaurant. Casual dress, cheap drinks, great food but service is a little slow.
- Quality Inn, 4142 Albany Post Rd, ☏ .
- Vanderbilt Motel, Albany Post Rd, ☏ .
- Roosevelt Inn of Hyde Park, 4360 Albany Post Rd, ☏ . Twenty five rooms, $85-$120 in season, suites $170. Pets ok. Closed January and February.
- le Petit Chateau Inn, 39 West Dorsey Ln, ☏ . A romantic hideaway on 40 acres overlooking a pond. Private bath and fireplace in every room. Located about a half mile from the Culinary Institute and a mile from the Roosevelt sites. Four rooms and suites. $155-$275.
Hyde Park is a great starting place for a tour of mid Hudson Valley estates. Once you've visited the Roosevelt and Vanderbilt homes, continue north on Route 9 (Albany Post Road) to the Mills mansion in Staatsburg, then into Rhinebeck to the Suckley's Wilderstein, and then to Frederic Church's Olana in the city of Hudson.
|Routes through Hyde Park|
|Albany ← Rhinebeck ←||N S||→ Poughkeepsie → New York City|