Igbeti is a town located at Oke Ogun, Olorunshogo Local Government Area of Oyo State, South West Nigeria. The town's population was approximately 81,000 at the 2006 census. It is situated in Olorunsogo Local Government area which is one of the thirty three local governments in Oyo state. It has Ilorin, the Kwara state capital to its East, Ikoyi Ile to the South, Igboho and Saki to the West, while the old Oyo National Park lies to the North.
Igbeti is also known as "Marble City" for its rich marble deposits. Sixteen major beautiful rocks that present captivating scenery surround this beautiful town. Iya Mopo and Agbele Rock are the most visited site in Igbeti. Agbele Rock is a naturally formed statue said to depict a mother with a load on her head carrying her child. History has it that this rock formation was formed when a woman stole some yam tubers from a rocky part of the village, which was being dried in the sunlight and she became a permanent fixture on the spot.
Get in edit
- Public bus. Bus companies like God Is Good Motors (GIGM), ABC Transport, Ifesinachi and The Young Shall Grow offer daily services from almost all major cities around the country to Ibadan, the capital city of Oyo state, after which a taxi will be boarded to Igbeti town which is about 1 hr 30 min journey by road from Ibadan. While buses are usually uncomfortable to journey, journey times also varies in respect to the bus condition.
- Air. You can get to Igbeti by air by taking a direct flight from the Lagos Airport to Ilorin Airport which takes 45 min, then you will need to board a connecting vehicle usually a shared taxi to get to Igbeti town.
Get around edit
Just like most part of the country, Igbeti has a tropical wet and dry climate with a lengthy wet season from early March to late October and relatively constant temperatures throughout the course of the year. From November to February the town experiences dry season which is of the typical West African harmattan. The occupational choice of the people is mainly determined and influenced by the geographical location of the town.
The people of Igbeti are focused on marble mining due to the marble mining company which has played prominent role in their economy through employment, availability of varieties of goods and services and international transactions.
- 1 Igbeti Central Market, Igbeti. 8AM-10PM. A local market that opens every four days. ₦20.
- 2 Market. 8AM-10PM. In-store shopping of varieties. ₦100.
- 3 Igbeti Kara Market, Igbeti. 8AM-10PM. You can buy food stuffs and meat at the market. #100.
- 4 Araromi Yam Market, L Govt, Onileoye Layout. 8AM-10PM. an open space market where you can buy farm yam and other farm produce. ₦20.
- 5 Orita Mefa, Olusegun Obasanjo Road (Dam Road). 8AM-10PM. In-shop shopping of varieties. ₦100.
- 6 Alausa shopping complex, Market Rd. 8AM-10PM. In-shop shopping of varieties. ₦100.
- 1 Ija Nbo Star Garden, Igbeti-Kisi Bye-Pass Rd. 9AM-8PM. Dine in and takeaway foods. ₦100.
- 1 Omo-Eso Hotel/Bar. ₦5,000.
- 1 Central Hotel. A hotel you can pass the night. ₦5,000.
- 2 Arije Castle Inn. An hotel you can lodge. ₦5,000.
- 3 Ibukun-Olu Guest House. A hotel with good room facilities and accommodating facilities. ₦5,000.
- 4 Tafoo Hotel Park. ₦5,000.
- 5 Adwill hotel, Igbeti-Kisi Bye-Pass Rd, 210115. #5,000.
- 6 Omo-Eso Hotel/Bar.
- 7 Doyin Guest Inn, Igboho-Igbeti Road. ₦5,000.
All major mobile phone service networks are available in Igbeti but with varying degree of reliability and usability. Often times, it is customary to experience network outage for all or some of the mobile phone service providers. Such situation is particularly common in some remote areas of the town. And it is also common for different networks to be more stable and reliable in different locations at different times.
Since you can't tell which will be more stable and reliable at a time in your location during your visit, it is preferable if you are planning a visit to this town to put in your plan on having multiple SIM cards that cut across all the mobile service providers.