South Jakarta (Indonesian: Jakarta Selatan) is one of the municipalities of the Indonesian capital Jakarta, known for its upscale residential areas and shopping malls, and a part of the city's business district with tall office buildings and wide boulevards.
In the north of South Jakarta, there are huge business districts with many skyscrapers, including the Kuningan district (with many embassies), Setiabudi, and the Sudirman business district. Many parts of South Jakarta are known for upscale shopping centres and malls, restaurants, hotels, bustling nightlife and entertainment centres, such as Blok M and Kemang, with the latter being especially popular among expats and locals for its nightlife and entertainment. Pondok Indah is an upper middle class and elite's residential area, sometimes dubbed the 'Beverly Hills' of Indonesia. Also the headquarters of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations is in South Jakarta.
Both the Jakarta inner ring road (Lingkar Dalam Kota) and outer ring road (Lingkar Luar or JORR) traverse South Jakarta. South Jakarta can be reached in 30 minutes from Jakarta's Soekarno-Hatta International Airport if there is no traffic congestion. However, major traffic congestion is very common, and the trip from the airport to South Jakarta usually takes 1 to 2 hours.
There are numerous railway stations in South Jakarta that are served by the commuter rail network (KA Commuter Jabodetabek). 1 Manggarai railway station in the far northeast of South Jakarta is a hub in the commuter rail network, with blue line trains to Bekasi, and with red and yellow line trains to Depok and Bogor. These lines also provide connections to the other municipalities of Jakarta. For long-distance trains, you will need to go to Gambir or Pasar Senen stations in Central Jakarta.
Beside KA Commuter Jabodetabek, Jakarta MRT is also available with stations in Sisingamangaraja, Blok M, Blok A, Haji Nawi, Cipete Raya, Fatmawati, and Lebak Bulus.
The main intercity bus terminal in South Jakarta is 2 Lebak Bulus bus terminal in the southwest near the outer ring road. The terminal serves a lot of city buses, minibuses, and frequent intercity buses to destinations throughout Java island, and regular buses to Bali and Sumatra. Another large terminal in south Jakarta is the 3 Blok M bus terminal, but this terminal only serves buses within the city and its metropolitan area.
South Jakarta can be reached from the other parts of Jakarta also by using one of the Transjakarta bus rapid transit lines. Key lines include line from Jakarta's old town in West Jakarta via Central Jakarta to Blok M, and line from Jakarta's city centre to Pondok Indah and the Lebak Bulus bus terminal.
The Transjakarta Line 6 goes along the Rasuna Said avenue and Mampang to the Ragunan Zoo. The South Jakarta portion of line 9 runs from Semanggi to Cawang Train station, with an interchange to Line 6 at Kuningan Barat/Kuningan Timur bus stop. Line 8 goes to the city's western portion, passing through Gandaria, Permata Hijau, and Pondok Indah district before terminating at Lebak Bulus.
- 1 Ragunan Zoo, Jalan Harsono RM 1 ( stop: Ragunan). 06:30-19:00. Indonesia's first and now most famous zoo, established more than 150 years ago. 295 species roaming the area, many are endemic to Indonesia only. Parking fee Rp 6,500/car, entrance fee is Rp4,500 adults and Rp3,500 children. Closed on Monday, animals' holiday. There is a special area for primates (monkeys, apes, and its derivatives) called Schmutzer, a still active conservation and research centre. Ticket fee for Schmutzer is Rp 6,000 weekdays and Rp7,500 on weekend, Sunday and holiday. Out from there, the animals are ready to greet you in open air. Payment have to use JakCard from Jakarta Government Bank and it makes difficulty for many people who have no JakCard. JakCard can be used only for limited transaction such as TransJakarta, but TransJakarta can use other cards. The children can also play with tame animals in another dedicated area and watch many animal performances, only on weekend, Sunday and holiday. Rent a bike to tour the zoo quicker (near North Entrance 2 or Pintu Utara 2) or get around with horse cart on weekend, Sunday and holiday only and set a mat under a tree for a picnic.
- 2 Kalibata Heroes Cemetery (Taman Makam Pahlawan (TMP) Kalibata), Jl. Raya Kalibata No.14, Kalibata, Kec. Pancoran, Jakarta Selatan. Opened in 1954, more than 7,000 people who are military casualties and veterans from Indonesian War of Independence, as well as B.J. Habibie, the third president of Indonesia, are buried here. Free.
Art and cultural centresEdit
- British Council Jakarta, Gedung Bursa Efek Jakarta Tower 2, 16th floor, Jl. Jend. Sudirman, Jakarta 12190, ☏ , fax: . Movie, drama, library, paintings, poem etc.
- Candrika Gallery, Pondok Indah Plaza I Blok II No UA-19, Jakarta 12310, Lt 1, ☏ . Fine arts, paintings.
- 3 Erasmus Huis, Jl. H.R. Rasuna Said Kav. S-3, Kuningan Jakarta 12950, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A Dutch cultural hub. Next to the Dutch embassy. Movie, drama, music show, library etc.
- 4 [dead link] Gudang Sarinah Ekosistem, Jl. Pancoran Timur II No.4, RT.9/RW.4, Cikoko, Pancoran, Jakarta 127780. Art and creative space founded in 2015. Usually used for various events such as music festival, concert, and education. It was once a warehouse (gudang) owned by the Sarinah mall in Central Jakarta.
- Ruang Rupa Gallery, Jl. Tebet Barat Dalam St. 1 # 26, Jakarta 12810, ☏ , fax: . Fine arts, paintings, publisher of art journal "Karbon".
- [formerly dead link] SIGIarts Gallery, Jl. Mahakam St. 1 # 11, Jakarta 12130. Fine arts.
- 5 Space Man (Patung Dirgantara/Pancoran). On Pancoran intersection. This statue commemorated the achievement of Indonesian Air Force in defending Indonesian territory. Created by Edhi Sunarso and Keluarga Arca from Jogjakarta. It's difficult to see this statue because the statue is partially covered by Tebet flyover/toll road bridges.
- 6 Djoko Sutono, Police Academy (PTIK) Jalan Tirtayasa 6, Kebayoran Baru, South Jakarta. This statue commemorated Professor DR. Djoko Sutono, SH, the founder of Indonesian Police Academy.
- Gajah Mada, Indonesian Police HQ, Jalan Trunojoyo 3, Kebayoran Baru, South Jakarta. This statue commemorated the establishment of Bhayangkara/Police corps led by Patih Gajah Mada from Majapahit Kingdom (14th century).
- 7 Youth Advancement (Patung Pemuda Membangun), on the roundabout at the southern end of Jendral Soedirman street. Created by Moenir Pamoentjak. This statue commemorated the struggle for Independence by young students/"Tentara Pelajar". This statue is often called "Pizza Delivery".
- 8 Basoeki Abdullah, Jalan Keuangan Raya No.19, Cilandak Barat, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-F 08:00-16:00, Sa-Su 09:00-15:00, M and public holidays closed. The late Basoeki Abdullah was a famous painter in Indonesia and Dutch. Collection: hundreds of beautiful paintings, sculpture, masks, watches. Adults Rp2,000 (individual), Rp1,000 (group), Children Rp1,000 (individual), Rp500 (group), foreigner Rp10,000.
- Harry Darsono, Jalan Cilandak Tengah No. 71 Jakarta Selatan, ☏ . Harry Darsono PhD is a famous, multi talented designer. His famous design include fashion, batik, and furniture. He is also a lecturer at universities, amateur musician, and wine connosieur. Collection: fashion, textile, batik, antique piano.
- 9 Kites Museum of Indonesia (Museum Layang-Layang Indonesia), Jl. H. Kamang No. 38, Pondok Labu, Jakarta Selatan, ☏ . Established in 2003, this museum's collection include about 600 kites, with varying sizes from 2 centimeters to 9 x 26 meters.
- 10 Police Museum (Museum Polri), Jalan Trunojoyo 1, Jakarta Selatan, ☏ .
- 11 Satria Mandala (formerly Wisma Yaso), Jl. Gatot Soebroto, Jakarta Selatan, ☏ . Military Museum. Wisma Yaso is the former residence of Indonesian first president, Soekarno.
Beneath the high rise office buildings and elite residences, South Jakarta is a wonderful place to play.
- 1 Pondok Indah Water Park, Jalan Metro Pondok Indah, Jakarta,, ☏ . A water park, perfect if what you want is leisure rather than adrenaline. Not many slides but very kid-friendly.
- 2 Setu Babakan Betawi Cultural Village, Jalan Muhammad Kahfi II - Srengseng Sawah Jagakarsa. This area is a lake, but it is where the indigenous Betawi set up an area for outsiders to know their culture. The weekend is especially the perfect time to visit as the food stalls is set up for you to savor Jakarta's local cuisine and the locals let you learn to perform their dance and play in the orchestra. Despite lack of advertisement and publication, Setu Babakan has successfully encouraged locals to appreciate their native culture. Children learn Betawi traditional music and dances every Wednesday and Sunday from 07:00-12:00. After watching the children's activity, take a break to scrutinize uniquely the architecture of Betawi traditional house and stop for a breath beside the lake. The available local foods are bir pletok (healthy ginger drink, not an alcoholic beer), kerak telor (grilled egg with coconut shred and sticky rice with shrimp powder topping), otak-otak (grilled fish cake with hot peanut sauce), and roti buaya (crocodile shape bread, popular for Betawi traditional wedding ceremony). Parking is Rp2,000 for cars and Rp1,000 for motor bikes.
- 3 Kidzania, Pacific Place Mall 6th floor, Jalan Jend Sudirman Kav. 52-53, ☏ . M-Th 09:00-16:00 (full session play); F-Su, school holiday 09:00-14:00, 15:00-20:00. Let your kids (ages 4-16) be an adult for a few hours at this theme park! Fulfill your children's dream job or help them find what is right for them, be it a TV presenter, a detective, or even an F1 racer! On the upper floor, they can visit a mock up factory to see how things are made and try them hands-on. Kids: Weekdays Rp90,000; Weekends Rp150,000; school/public holiday Rp200,000. Adults: Rp 90,000; school/public holiday Rp200,000.
- Martha Tilaar Spa, Jalan Prapanca Raya Blok P III No 3,Jakarta Selatan, Tel.: +62 21 739-3519, Jalan Gedung Hijau Raya no.26, Pondok Indah, Jakarta Selatan, Tel.: +62 21 7591-4216. Jalan Cikini Raya No 83, Jakarta Pusat, Tel.: +62 21 319-37616, Jalan Wahid Hasyim No 19-21, Jakarta Pusat, Tel.: +62 21 319-25921. Website: Martha Tilaar. Treatment: body, face, hand, foot, hair. One of the best spas in Jakarta. Price: splurge.
- Puri Santi Spa, Jl. Bunga Mawar 19, Cipete, South Jakarta (off Jl. Pangeran Antasari), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Single treatment rooms with ensuite shower / bathtub, VIP couple suite with garden view with private jacuzzi & hot steam shower. A luxurious place and all products are made from pure plant based ingredients. Opening hours: daily 09:00 - 20:00.
- 4 Matoa Nasional Golf Course, Jl. Moh Kahfi I Km 7 Ciganjur - Jakarta Selatan 12630, ☏ , fax: .
- 5 Pondok Indah Golf and Country Club, Metro Kebayoran Baru, South Jakarta, ☏ . A huge sign "Pondok Indah Golf and Country Club - 1983 World Cup Venue" marks the entrance. Has a driving range. 2 levels of driving range bays, with a beautiful view. The range area is water, with several islands for you to aim at. Rp40,000 for 100 balls. + Rp20,000 (caddy fee)..
Prof. Dr. Satrio AvenueEdit
An idea by an Indonesian property mogul, Ciputra, is to transform this avenue into a street of shopping malls, equivalent to Singapore's Orchard Road or Shanghai's Nanjing Lu. Development of the area has been extensive, and there are already 4 malls standing in this area, all very close to each other.
- 1 ITC Kuningan, Jl. Professor Doktor Satrio Kav. 25. A lower class mall, with small shacks of micro businesses. Get cheap fashion or moreover, fix your electronic devices here. In contrast, the upper floor has premium dining options, while lower floor has Carrefour.
- 2 Kuningan City (locally abbreviated Kuncit), Jl. Prof. Dr. Satrio Kav. 18. An all rounder mall, but pretty small in size, no big premium brands. A second choice for dining options.
- 3 [formerly dead link] Lotte Shopping Avenue (Ciputra World Jakarta), Jl. Professor Doktor Satrio No.5. Inspired by the similar concept of its flagship mall in South Korea, it is catered to mainly the youth, but has the best food options in the strip that everyone should not miss. The youth can have a photograph with some replicas of the Korean idols. Big establishments include the Uniqlo clothing store, the 99 Ranch Market grocery store, the Toys City, the Lotte Duty Free, and 3 premium dining options up on the highest floor. The restaurants at the 3rd floor cater to mostly East Asian delicacies, but a few serve Indonesian or other international cuisines.
- 4 Mal Ambassador, Jl. Professor Doktor Satrio Kav. 25. A similar option to ITC Kuningan, both are connected by a skybridge. Get cheap fashion or moreover, fix your electronic devices here. More eating options than ITC with famous Indonesian chain brands.
- 5 Blok M Plaza, Jl. Bulungan 76, ☏ . A middle class mall. If you want to buy fashion & apparels, there are upscale options but much cheaper at the Blok M Square next door, but this is supposedly where you want to grab a bite or watch a movie after the shopping, as the restaurants are cleaner. Integrated with Blok M MRT station for commuting.
- 6 Blok M Square, Jl. Melawai No. 5, ☏ . Accessible from the underground tunnel from Blok M Plaza, both malls can be visited depending on your purpose. This is the place where you buy cheap fashion and apparels (and cheap books), which may look hectic as Ambassador Mall or Mangga Dua. If you are in for something to eat, it's much better to get to the Blok M Plaza next door, unless you prefer a snack or light meal.
- 7 Dharmawangsa Square Citywalk, Jalan Dharmawangsa Kav. 6, Kebayoran Baru. A mall to go to if you don't like the crowded hype. Close to the premium hotel of the same name is a mall with premium tenants (well, most are not chain brands) and dining options.
- 8 Epicentrum Walk, Jl. H. R. Rasuna Said, RT.2/RW.5, Karet Kuningan, Setiabudi, Jakarta 12940. Much smaller mall because there are just a few options for dining and shopping. Home of the two biggest screening theatres in Jakarta (from 21Cineplex chain)
- 9 Gandaria City, Jalan Sultan Iskandar Muda Kav. 5-8. One of the big malls in South Jakarta near Pondok Indah vicinity, easy to get lost in there. Dining options are endless with many restaurants including "Eat & Eat food court" on the top floor and other branded establishments. The mall is so big, they can handle two events together at two different multi-purpose stages. It has one of IMAX theatres from the 21Cineplex chain, that broadcast blockbuster films on schedule, and a 1:1 scale of Boeing 737-800 airplane cockpit simulator, certified by FAA, CASA, CAA, and DCA.
- 10 Kota Kasablanka (locally abbreviated Kokas), Jalan Casablanca Raya Kav. 88, ☏ . A premium mall in the Tebet area. Branded middle-upper class boutiques in line with Sogo department store and many huge tenants. The Food Society on the ground and upper ground floors provide an exhilarating dining experience, one of the most favorite spots for culinary get-goers.
- 11 Pasaraya Grande, Jl. Iskandarsyah II/2, Blok M. Great hangout place in South Jakarta with its many cafes and restaurants. It has a big food court at the basement with extensive selection of local and international cuisine. The mall itself sprawls a wide array of clothing items from local and international designers. It has a floor dedicated entirely to Indonesian traditional clothing and handicrafts, although the items are a bit pricey.
- 12 Plaza Semanggi, Jl. Jend. Sudirman Kav 50. This large, airy mall has something for everyone, with floors devoted to fashion, IT, and even furniture. Good selection of restaurants on floor 3A. Plaza Semanggi also offers a great view of Jakarta from its deck on the 10th floor (Plangi Sky Dining). Restaurants are also available on the 10th floor.
- 13 Pondok Indah Mall, Jl.Metro Pondok Indah No. 1, Pondok Indah. Two malls connected by a skybridge, the complex claims to be the biggest in Jakarta. Sogo, Metro, cafes, restaurants and the usual suspects. The favourite mall of most expats in Jakarta. Anchored by Sogo and Metro Department store.
- 14 Ratu Plaza, Jl. Jend. Sudirman Kav.9, ☏ , fax: . Great for electronics and computer products.
- 15 Setiabudi One, Jl. HR Rasuna Said Kav. 62, RT.18/RW.02, Karet Kuningan, Setiabudi, Jakarta. A lot of mid to upscale dining options are available here. On the 2nd floor, you can find XXI Theatre (from 21 Cineplex) as well.
- 16 Pasar Minggu (Sunday Market) (KRL red/orange line: Pasar Minggu station). During the Dutch colonial era, this market opened only every Sunday morning, hence the name. Now, it is open every day and sells cheap fresh vegetables and fruits.
- Agneya Restaurant, Jalan Wijaya IX No.23, RT.2/RW.5, Melawai, Jakarta 12160, ☏ . 11:30-00:00. Serving mostly Indonesian cuisines but with a different twist on the cooking process. Typically Rp 200,000 per person (incl. food and drink).
- Eastern Opulence, Jl. Cipaku 1 No. 85, Dharmawangsa, Jakarta 12170, ☏ . Daily from 10:00-22:30. A fine-dining style restaurant that serves Indonesian cuisines in the heart of South Jakarta. Rp 600,000 for two people.
- Koi Kemang, Jalan Kemang Raya No.72b, RT.7/RW.2, Mampang Prapatan, Jakarta 12730, ☏ . 08:00-23:00. Serves Western and Asian cuisine with a wide variety selection of wines and beers and also live music Starts from Rp 30,000 to Rp 300,000.
- Ayam Bakar Wong Solo, Jalan Lapangan Ros No. 27, Tebet, Jakarta, ☏ . Daily 10:00 to 23:00. Traditional grilled chicken chain. Menu: grilled chicken, fried fish, prawn, tom yam, salad. Many women's rights activists boycott this place because the restaurant owner aggressively promotes polygamy. About Rp 75,000 for two.
- Ayam Goreng Mbok Berek, Jalan Prof. Soepomo 14, Tebet, ☏ . Daily 08:00-22:00. Traditional fried chicken restaurant. Menu: fried chicken, gudeg, gado-gado (salad with peanut sauce), salad. About Rp 75,000 per person.
- Ayam Goreng Suharti, Jl. Kapten Tendean No. 13, Mampang Prapata, ☏ . Daily 09:00-21:00. Mains start from Rp 40,000.
- Warung MJS (previously: Warung Mbah Jingkrak Setiabudi), Jl. Setia Budi Tengah No.11, RT.1/RW.1, Setiabudi (Near Aston Kuningan suites), ☏ . Daily 10:00-23:00. A semi-outdoor restaurant serving Javanese cuisine with live Javanese music. About Rp 55,000 per person.
- Dapur Sunda, Jalan H.R. Rasuna Said, RT.6/RW.7, ☏ . Daily from 10:00-22:00. About Rp 150,000 for two persons.
- Warkop Pasundan, Jalan Setiabudi Tengah No.14, RT.1/RW.1, Setiabudi, 12910 (Across Warung MJS), ☏ . 24 hours. A warung (or mini restaurant) selling various types of comfort food such as instant noodles, fried noodles, Magelangan (a mix of fried rice and fried noodles), etc.
- Marco Padang Grill, Setiabudi One, 1st Floor Unit B 212-216; Lotte Shopping Avenue 3rd Floor Unit 16 & A08, ☏ , . All branches 10:00-21:00. The facade that bears only the name Marco will mistake you for an Italian restaurant, but it's for the name of the owner, Marco Lim, who is a chef himself. Modern and premium style Padang restaurant, cheap made-by-order dishes, customizable according to your diet. Do not miss the Baramundi Panggang Pacak, the Rendang Itam, or the Nasi Sayo. Mains from Rp 25,000.
- Mie Aceh Bang Iwan, Jalan Setia Budi Barat No. 25, RT.2/RW.2, Setiabudi, 12910. 10:00-02:00. An Acehnese restaurant in the Setiabudi vicinity.
Chinese and noodlesEdit
- Bakmi Gang Kelinci, Jalan Melawai Raya (5th floor of Blok M Square), ☏ . Daily 10:00-22:00. Noodle restaurant. From Rp 20,000.
- Bakmi Naga, Jalan Prof DR. Satrio (4th floor of Mal Ambasador. Look for Food Court), ☏ . Daily 11:00-20:00. From Rp 20,000 after tax.
- Kinara, Jl. Kemang Raya 78B, Jakarta Selatan 12730, ☏ , fax: . M-Th 11:00-02:00, F Sa 11:00-03:00, Sunday 24 hr. Indian restaurant. Menu: lamb, chicken, salad, tandoori, soup, seafood, breads. One of the best Indian restaurant in Jakarta. Opening hours: 12:00-14:30, 18:30-22:00. Price: approx. US$16/person, except Lobster Mughlai US$45.
- Pizza Place, Como Park, Jl. Kemang Timur Raya No. 998, Kemang, ☏ . 12:00-22:00. One of few pizza places that also serve by the slices as well either for take away or dine in. From Rp 25,000 per slice.
- The Kitchen by Pizza Hut, Jalan Metro Pondok Indah No.6, RT.1/RW.16, Pondok Indah, Jakarta 12310 (Inside Pondok Indah Mall 2), ☏ . Daily 10:00-22:00. A different concept from usual Pizza Hut places, where you can buy pizza in slices instead of per pan. About Rp 135,000 for two.
- Henshin, Jalan H.R. Rasuna Said, Kuningan, Jakarta 12940 (Inside The Westin Hotel Jakarta, Floor 67-69), ☏ . Su-Th 18:00-00:00, F Sa 18:00-02:00. A fine dining Japanese-Peruvian restaurant. Approx. Rp 250,000 per person.
- Shabu Ghin, Jalan Wolter Monginsidi No. 53, Kebayoran Baru, RT.1/RW.1, Jakarta 12170, ☏ . M-F 11:00-15:00, 18:00-22:00, Sa Su from 11:00-22:00. All you can eat shabu-shabu restaurant with different choices of beef. Approx. Rp150,000 per person.
- Sushi Hiro, Jalan Suryo No.24, RT.10/RW.3, Rw., Kebayoran Baru, Jakarta 12180, ☏ . M-F 11:00-14:00 and 17:30-21:00, Sa Su from 11:00-14:30 and 17:30-21:00. Popular for an extraordinary display of sushi.
- Tanpopo Jakarta, Jalan Sultan Iskandar Muda No. 99E, Arteri Pondok Indah, Jakarta 12240 (Across the Gandaria City Mall), ☏ . M-F 18:00-00:00, Sa Su 18:00-02:00. Outdoor Japanese street food such as Kushiyaki, Yakiniku, Teppanyaki, and Shabu-Shabu. about Rp 120,000 for two.
Penang Bistro is the popular franchise of Malaysian cuisine in Jakarta. Look for them on most malls throughout Jakarta. They have 5 outlets in South Jakarta alone. The biggest one is in Pacific Place Mall, around Jakarta's SCBD.
- Amigos Bar & Cantina, Kemang Club Villas, Jalan Kemang Selatan I, RT.8/RW.3, Mampang Prapatan, Jakarta 12730, ☏ . 08:00-00:00. One of a few Mexican restaurants in Jakarta. Serves mostly American Traditional and Tex-Mex food. From Rp 45,000.
- Shisha Cafe, Jalan Kemang Raya No. 10, Kemang, Jakarta 12730 (Located next to McDonalds Kemang), ☏ . Su-Th 10:00-01:00, F Sa 10:00-02:00. Modern but pleasant Middle Eastern food, with the full range of mezze (Rp 10,000-20,000) and kebabs (Rp 30,000 up) and no less than 15 varieties of flavored water pipe tobacco, from cappuccino to coconut. Indoor (aircon) and outdoor seating, belly dancing on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Tamnak Thai, Jalan Kemang Raya No. 17, RT.6/RW.1, Kemang, Jakarta 12730 (Inside Plaza Adorama - Ground Floor), ☏ . Daily 11:00-22:00. Thai restaurant. Menu: salad, soup, prawn, lobster, squid, crab, asparagus, fish, sapo soya bean curd, fried chicken, duck, grilled beef. About Rp 400,000 for two persons.
- Pho 24, Jalan Wolter Monginsidi No.40, RT.1/RW.6, Jakarta 12170, ☏ . Daily from 10:00-21:30. Vietnamese restaurant. Menu: spring rolls, salad, noodle soup, grilled beef, fried chicken, rice vermicelli noodle.
- Fish Streat, Jalan Tebet Timur Dalam No.44B, RT.4/RW.5, Tebet, Jakarta 12820, ☏ . Daily from 10:00-22:00. Seafood restaurant, specialising in fish and chips. Popular amongst locals for its cheap price and delicious tasting fish and chips. From Rp 25,000 for mains.
Western, European, and steakhousesEdit
- Burgreens, Jl. Wijaya II No.73, RT.5/RW.7, Jakarta 12160, ☏ . One of the pioneers of organic restaurant in Jakarta, serving burgers as the main course.
- Die Stube Germany Resto & Bar, Plaza Bisnis Kemang I, Jl. Kemang Raya 2, Kemang, Jakarta 12730, ☏ . 09:00-00:00. A popular German restaurant in Jakarta due to their regular happy hour promos. Filled mostly with expats and also locals. About Rp 420,000 for two people (incl. food and drinks).
- Ecology Bistro and Lounge, Jl. Kemang Raya No. 6, Kemang,12730 (Near Aksara Bookstore), ☏ . M-F 11:00-00:00, Sa Su 11:00-01:00. An upper-class dining option in the heart of Kemang vicinity. Widely known first for its 365 Eco Bar. About Rp 200,000 per person (food and beverages).
- Le Burger, Alila Hotel, Lot 11 Jalan Jenderal Sudirman Kav. 52-53, SCBD, Senayan, 12190 (Lodged at Alila Hotel), ☏ . S-Th 11:00-02:00, F Sa 11:00-05:00. A gourmet burger place inside Alila Hotel with a casual industrial touch. Curated by father and son duo of Michelin-starred chef Jean-Claude and Cédric Vongerichten. Burgers from Rp110,000 and beverages from Rp35,000.
- Steak Hotel by Holycow!, Jalan Bakti No.15, Senopati. From Rp 65,000. This is a carnivore's paradise! Nothing but steaks and meat, but the specialty is the wagyu steaks. Prices are within reasonable range comparing to eating a wagyu steak elsewhere!
- Tokyo Skipjack, Jalan Bulungan No.16, RT.11/RW.7, Kramat Pela, Kebayoran Baru, 12130, South Jakarta, ☏ . Daily 11:00-23:00. Steakhouse restaurant in the heart of South Jakarta, Blok M district. A different approach to their sauces, where you can choose from 6 variants to accompany your dish. Rp 75,000-150,000 per person.
Jalan Palatehan 1 (just to the left of Blok M busway terminal and the bus station) is regarded as Jakarta's Thai-style "entertainment district", with many bars and many girls inside looking for single men. While much more quiet than in Pattaya or Nana Plaza/Soi Cowboy in Bangkok, the atmosphere in these bars (not spoiled by money-splashing tourists and more popular among local expats) is more friendly, with most girls less pushy to buy them drinks or take them home. So, the place is perfectly OK to visit if your target is just to drink some beer, watch the action around (and often live music on the stage too) and talk with girls.
Besides that, other places to drink are usually bars associated with the restaurants (not the cheapest ones, however), several entertainment/shopping areas (such as Plaza Senayan or Kemang Raya), and bars/clubs in upscale hotels.
- Blowfish & Puro, Jl. Jendral Gatot Subroto Kav.42, City Plaza at Wisma Mulia, ☏ . Avant garde design.
- Champions, Jl. Kemang Raya No. 10, ☏ . A huge bar with sports theme, live music. Specialty: melted cheese covered nachos. Drink: beers, fruit juices. Facility: 4 gigantic television screens.
- D's Place, Jl. Falatehan I No. 1 C., Blok M, ☏ . 18:00-02:00. Facility: nice bar downstairs, a small pool annex, dance floor upstairs, nightly dance competition.
- Debasic, Jl. Melawai Raya No. 73, Jakarta Selatan., ☏ , fax: . Facility: bar, live music (hip hop, retro and jazz), restaurant, discotheque. Drinks: fine wine, cocktail, liquer based coffee, Debasic Sensation, Strawberry Basic Margarita, Long Basic Island. Specialty: Caesar Salad, Goulash Soup, Calamari Calypso, Entrecote Conosierre, Veal Escallop St. debasic, Deep Fried Oxtail.
- Eastern Promise, Jl Kemang Raya No. 5, ☏ . Favorite expat hangout, nice bar with Indian/English restaurant, pool table,darts, big screen, big outdoor garden with live music: every Wednesday live jazz, weekends rock/pop/blues or latin, price: moderate
- [dead link] Everest, Jl. Falatehan I/12K, ☏ , fax: . A thematic bar that has expatriates (and a few locals) hanging out. Happy hour at 21:00 with different activities every day.
- Red Square, Plaza Senayan Arcadia，Unit X-105，Jl. New Delhi No.9., ☏ . Jakarta's first vodka bar, in chic black and red, serves up all sorts of vodka-based cocktails (how about a Bloody Red Square?) plus "fusion Russian" cuisine with items like Russian Bruschetta and Borscht Buntut. There are dancers and fire-juggling bartenders most nights at 23:00. Open from 11:30 AM to past midnight, most cocktails from Rp 50,000.
- Sportsmans Bar, Jl Falatehan I 8, ☏ . Downstairs: bar with a pool table and a counter. There is a restaurant on the back of the bar and another counter on the left. Upstairs: pool table and a restaurant.
Coffee and tea shopsEdit
Due to increasing numbers of coffee (and also tea) shops opened throughout Jakarta, especially in the south region (besides Starbucks franchises), nowadays there are some of the best coffee places to hang out with your friends, family, and colleagues as well. Usually packed after work hours and on the weekends. Price ranges between as low as Rp 10,000 to Rp 60,000.
- Anomali Coffee (Senopati Branch), Jalan Senopati No.19, RT.6/RW.3, Senayan, 12190 Jakarta.
- Caribou Coffee, Jalan Senopati No.52, RT.6/RW.3, Kebayoran Baru, Jakarta 12190. 06:30-23:00. The 12th worldwide branch from a famous US coffee shop chain.
- Common Grounds (South Jakarta Branch: Pondok Indah), Pd. Indah Mall Street Gallery, Jalan Metro Pondok Indah, RT.1/RW.16, Pondok Indah, Jakarta 12310.
- Crematology Coffee Roasters, Jalan Suryo No.25, Rawa Barat, Kebayoran Baru, RT.3/RW.6, Jakarta 12180. 07:30-00:00.
- Filosofi Kopi (FilKop), Jalan Melawai 6 Blok M No 8, RT.3/RW.1, Melawai, Jakarta 12160. 11:00-24:00. Probably famous due to the name, which is directly derived from the book and its film adaptation, "Filosofi Kopi" by Dewi Lestari. Located in the famous Blok M district. From Rp 10,000 (per 2015).
- Kanawa Coffee and Munch, Jalan Suryo No.23, RT.3/RW.6, Rawa Barat, Jakarta 12180. 07:00-01:00.
- Kopi Kotaku, Jalan Wijaya I No.73, RT.10/RW.1, Kebayoran Baru, Jakarta 12170. 09:00-21:00.
- 1 Kopimana27, Jalan Prof. DR. Soepomo No. 45J, RT.14/RW.6, Tebet, 12810, ☏ . 08:00-22:30.
- Lucky Cat Coffee and Kitchen, Plaza Festival Parkir Selatan, Jalan HR. Rasuna Said Kav. C No. 22, RT.2/RW.5, Kuningan, 12940 Jakarta. 24 hours. Located near Bakrie University and opens 24/7.
- One Fifteenth Coffee (1/15), Jalan Gandaria 1 No.63, RT.2/RW.3, Kebayoran Baru, Jakarta 12130. 07:00-21:00. The name is derived from a well-known coffee-to-water ratio, 1:15. Famous for the unique name and also its head barista, Doddy Samsura, received first place in World Barista Championships.
- St. Ali Family, Setiabudi Building One 2 GF-103A, Jalan HR. Rasuna Said Blok Kav. 62, Setiabudi, RT.6/RW.7, Jakarta 12950. 07:00-20:00. The first branch of St. Ali franchises in Jakarta.
- Trafique Coffee, Jalan Hang Tuah Raya No. 9, Jakarta 12120 (Located near from Senayan City and Plaza Senayan.). 09:00-22:00.
- Toko Kopi TUKU, Jalan Cipete Raya Blok B No.7, Cipete Selatan, Cilandak, RT.6/RW.3, Jakarta 12410. 07:00-22:00.
- Toraja Coffee House, Jalan Casablanca No. 1B, Tebet, Jakarta 12870 (Take te road towards Lotte Avenue/Dr. Satrio instead of the flyover.), ☏ . 07:00-22:00. A coffee house in Jakarta, where only Toraja coffee beans - a region in the south of Sulawesi - are used. From Rp 20,000.
Wine bars and liquor storesEdit
- Hatten Wines Cellardoor, Jalan Benda No.1F, South Kemang, Jakarta 12560 (Opposite of Beer Garden), ☏ . Daily 09:00-18:00. A Balinese Winery branch in Jakarta.
- Kem Chicks, Pacific Place, LG Floor Unit 99, Jalan Jenderal Sudirman Kav. 52 – 53, South Jakarta 12190 (Inside Pacific Place Mall, Jakarta SCBD), ☏ . Daily 08:00-22:00. A supermarket chain inside Pacific Place mall, sells mostly beers and wines with limited selection.
- Red & White (Affiliated with minuman.com), Jalan Pangeran Antasari No.36, RT.11/RW.5, Kemang, South Jakarta 12150 (Inside Lippo Mall Kemang), ☏ . Daily 10:00-22:00. Probably has the best selection of wines and liquors. Also provides home delivery and has many stores throughout Jakarta.
- Vin+ Wine & Beyond, Jalan Kemang Raya No.45 B, Kemang, South Jakarta 12730, ☏ . Shop 10:00-01:00, Lounge 15:00-01:00. Wine bar with coffee shop in Kemang.
- Apollo Bar & Lounge, Bellagio Boutique Mall UG Level, Jl. Mega Kuningan Barat VII, Jakarta 12950, ☏ . A place for you if you into cabaret lipsync show of transgender divas or muscled gogo dancers. It is the hippest gay club in Jakarta.
- Dragonfly, Jl Jend Gatot Subroto Kav 23 Graha BIP Lt 1 Jakarta 12930, ☏ . Expensive restaurant and stylish nightclub in shades of black and red, with a two-story wine rack. A place for the idle rich to see and be seen, so expect long queues on weekends unless you show up before midnight or know the right people. Free entry, but steeply priced drinks at Rp 70,000 and up.
- Monaco Club, ☏ . Hotel Gran Mahakam, Jl Mahakam I no 6, Jakarta Selatan. Discotheque, dance,Karaoke rooms, Bar. Japanese and French cuisine: escargot, sushi, sashimi. Drinks: Mojito, Cinzano Piccolo, Vino de Monaco, Vodca Martini. Opening hours: Tu-Th 18:00-02:00, F Sa 18:00-03:30, Su 19:00-01:00. Price: splurge.
- Nirvana, Hotel Maharadja, Jl. Kapten Tendean 1, South Jakarta, ☏ . Facility: disco, karaoke, home band, damce floor. Music style: tribal, garage, oldies, underground. Opening hours: 23:00 to 04:00. Karaoke facility on 2nd floor: 10 rooms from US$10/hour.
- White House, Jl Jend Sudirman Kav 54-55 Plaza Bapindo Ged Parkir Lt 1, Jakarta 12190, ☏ .
- X-Lounge/Vertigo, Gedung Veteran RI 16-17F (in Plaza Semanggi), Jl. Gatot Subroto, Jakarta 12930, ☏ . Two interconnected clubs, the more nightclubby Vertigo upstairs playing harder dance music and the more bar-like X-Lounge downstairs spinning R&B and pop. Entrance Rp 80,000 on weekends, which gets you a drink and access to both.
- X2/Equinox, Plaza Senayan.
- Lasonta Discotheque, Jl. Palatehan I 29, Block M, Jakarta 12160, ☏ .
South Jakarta is the second choice for travelers staying in Jakarta. As the case in central Jakarta, most hotels especially the splurge rates, are in line with office buildings for the convenience of business travelers. The Kemang area, as an entertainment area, also has decent selection of hotels.
- Graha Wisata Youth Hostel, Jl. H.R. Rasuna Said, South Jakarta, ☏ . Managed by the government of Jakarta, the location is central enough for your commute to any point in Jakarta. Perfect for backpackers. Very basic facilities. From Rp 50,000.
- 1 Jusenny, Jl. Senayan 29, Blok S, Kebayoran Baru,, ☏ . Basic hotel with minimally adequate facilities in rooms. Rooms and other parts of the interior may look grim to some, if not many. From Rp 250,000.
- 2 NEO Tendean, Jl. Wolter Monginsidi No. 131, ☏ . Eco friendly hotel meets modern style. For the price, the room is comparably small. Room only, no restaurants. From Rp 300,000.
- Penginapan Cipulir, Jl. Ciledug Raya No. 59, Cipulir, Kebayoran Lama, Jakarta 12230., ☏ , fax: . A quality budget hotel, rate includes basic breakfast. Laundry service based on weight. From Rp 180,000.
- Tendean Residence, Jl. Kapten Tendean no. 127, ☏ . From Rp 350,000. Studio-style rooms with balcony. Pantry at every floor and outdoor terrace at selected floors. Having that said, no breakfast provided apart from cup noodles.
- 3 Amaroossa Cosmo, Jl. Pangeran Antasari No.9a-b, ☏ . Located within the Pasar Minggu area. Wide rooms with mirrors on the wall behind the bed. Large restaurant and coffee shop for a banquet or informal meeting. From Rp 600,000.
- Ambhara, Jl. Iskandarsyah Raya No 1, ☏ , fax: . Right across Pasaraya Grande. Medium hotel with spacious chambers, if not slightly minimally designed. Decent breakfast at the café, unwind at the tea lounge or the Baron's English Pub. From Rp 650,000.
- 4 Arion Swiss Belhotel Kemang, Jl. Kemang Raya No.7, ☏ . One of the best hotels at the Kemang Avenue. Large rooms facing either Kemang or the skylines. Decent breakfast at the cafés, but do not forget to have lunch or dinner at the friendly Kemang's restaurants. End the night with a live bar at the basement. From Rp 1,000,000.
- 5 Avissa Suites, Jl. Karet Pedurenan No. 19,, ☏ . Situated behind the Ambassador Mall. Boutique style hotel with modern style rooms. You can iron two of your items per day for free! Decent, if not small, breakfast options. From Rp 500,000.
- 6 Harris Hotel Tebet, Jl. Dr Saharjo no. 191, ☏ . Minutes away from Kota Kasablanka. Hints of orange in color throughout the building. Minimalist style rooms with minimum but provides at least the essential facilities. Good helping of breakfast at its only café. A prime place for a business meeting because of its location. From Rp 600,000.
- 7 The Maritim Guest House, Jalan Maritim Raya No. 2, ☏ . A bed and breakfast that makes an intimate moment with the owners (Ita & Don). Adequate rooms with fans, not AC! From US$45 per night.
- 8 [formerly dead link] Park Lane, Jalan Casablanca No. 18, Kuningan, ☏ . Five-star hotel with less than five-star prices. Old on the outside but don't be fooled, refurbished inside. Good location within the CBD and huge breakfast buffet. All in one dining at RIVA (Grill, Bar, and terrace), weekly live acoustic at the bar for entertainment or a night of jamming dance by the DJs. From Rp 1,400,000.
- 9 Rasuna Icon, Jalan Karet Pedurenan No. 3. Within walking distance to the Rasuna Said office strips. Minimalist interior. Its restaurant has a bar and an indoor and outdoor seating area, be careful with mosquitos as even the indoor area is exposed to the outdoor air. From Rp 600,000.
- 10 [dead link] Royal Kuningan, Jl Kuningan Persada Kav 2, ☏ . Within immediate distance to Rasuna Said, it's a value for money! No frills business hotel with minimalist designed furniture. The Galley Restaurant said to try its special ribs. The library bar entertains the heart with live music performances while you sink to books or newspapers. From Rp 850,000.
Most of hotels within this price range are within the Kuningan area.
- 11 Ascott Kuningan Jakarta, Ciputra World 1. Jalan Prof Dr Satrio Kav.3-5, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. One, two and three bedroom apartments are available. This property offers an indoor playroom, an outdoor playground for kids and a barbecue area.
- 12 Crowne Plaza, Jl. Gatot Subroto Kav. 1-B,, ☏ , fax: . Located at the mouth of Sudirman Avenue. Decent hotel with standard and old rooms. The Maroush is one of the few Middle Eastern restaurants within a hotel in Jakarta. From Rp 1,200,000.
- 13 The Dharmawangsa, Jl. Brawijaya Raya No. 26, Kebayoran Baru, ☏ . A short quiet hotel in the suburbs (almost city-like) within walking distance (use a shortcut) to Kemang, perfect for honeymooners or leisure travelers. Each room has a personal butler with Javanese standard hospitality. The rooms are wide (except for the small TV), while the bathroom has a large tub and a his and hers sink. Dine at the many delectable restaurants of the hotel or delight yourself with the chocolate martini and many other collections of cognac and spirits at the bar. For a pamper, head to the spa, to the pool (both indoor and outdoor), or just see the garden. From Rp 3,000,000.
- 14 Four Seasons, Jalan H.R. Rasuna Said, Kuningan,, ☏ , fax: . At the corner of Menteng, at the Kuningan business area. Grand rooms with scenic views of Jakarta's office towers. A chic steakhouse or a roundtable Chinese restaurant for a dining option, many lounges for a snack or drink — The Bar hosts a tango, slow rock or jazz night once a week each. From Rp 2,000,000.
- 15 Gran Mahakam, Jalan Mahakam I No.6, ☏ . A premium hotel at the Blok M area. Classical interior with grand rooms and restaurants. Rates do not include breakfast, but it includes an exceptional selection. Its restaurants, Le Gran and Aoki, are well-known despite is priciness, inviting diners from even outside the hotel to delight themselves. From Rp 3,000,000.
- 16 Gran Melia, Jl. HR. Rasuna Said Kav. X-O,, ☏ , fax: . Minimalist design rooms. Plenty of international cuisine options, especially for breakfast. Superlative Japanese restaurant with tatami rooms and special counters for grilled dishes, while the Chinese department offers Sichuan and Cantonese delights. From Rp 2,500,000.
- 17 JS Luwansa Hotel and Convention Center, Jl. H. R. Rasuna Said Kav. C-22, ☏ . A cheaper alternative of splurge hotels in the heart of the Rasuna skylines. A booking of its suite entitles you to a next level of hospitality at the Ambassador Club on the 20th floor. All day dining at Olaf, night dining at that restaurant plus Shammah or a poolside bar. The built in convention center is large enough to fit 1500 rooms in the grand ballroom, along with 14 meeting rooms. From Rp 1,300,000.
- 18 JW Marriott, Jl. DR. Ide Anak Agung Gde Agung Kav. E 1.2 No. 1 & 2, ☏ . Secluded in the Mega Kuningan ring road, traffic might not be a big hassle once approaching the hotel. Opulent yet tasteful decoration, huge rooms and many suites, with broadband and wireless internet. 3 restaurants (Indonesian, Chinese, Japanese) are expensive but has expansive menus. Wi-Fi free for Marriott members only. From Rp 2,000,000.
- 19 Kemang Icon by Alila, Jl. Kemang Raya no. 1, ☏ . Boutique style all-suites hotel at the Kemang area. Each suite is designed differently so it can be a surprise for each visit. All relaxing facilities are at the upper floors: a tranquil restaurant and a pool up the stairs. From Rp 1,800,000.
- 20 Kristal, Jalan Tarogong Raya, Cilandak, ☏ . Serviced apartment style hotel near Pondok Indah. Many facilities including a dive course and equipment shop, coin operated laundry, a salon, gift shop and physiotherapy. Enticing live acoustic at the bar every night. From Rp 1,500,000.
- 21 Ritz-Carlton, Jl. DR. Ide Anak Agung Gde Agung Kav.E.1.1 no.1, Mega Kuningan, ☏ . The flagship hotel of the Ritz Carlton brand in Jakarta, with standard 5-star service. Bathrooms have floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the other skyscrapers popping up in this fast-growing area. Many types of suites to choose from. Free wireless internet. Only has 2 restaurants (Italian and international) and a bar, but generally enough to fit everyone. From Rp 2,700,000.
- 22 Oakwood Premier Cozomo, Jl. Dr. Ide Anak Agung Gde Agung, Blok E4.2 No 1, Mega Kuningan, ☏ . Serviced apartments available for even a one night rent. Generally perfect for a family. Should you want to eat, cook at home with groceries (or pre-made meals) from Ranch Market downstairs. There are also a few restaurants on ground level and first floor, or its own house restaurant. Separate fee applied for Wi-Fi. One bedroom from Rp 2,000,000.
- Ambulance: 118.
- Police: 110.
- South Jakarta Police Station: Jalan Wijaya II, Tel.: +62 21 7206004, +62 21 7206011, +62 21 7221205.
List of hospitals with 24 hours emergency room (ER):
- RS Fatmawati, Jalan RS Fatmawati, Cilandak, Tel.: +62 21 7501524, Fax.: +62 21 7690123.
- RS Pusat Pertamina, Jl Kyai Maja No. 43 Kebayoran Baru, Jakarta 12120, Tel. +62 21 7219232, +62 21 7219366, +62 21 7219214, +62 21 7208693.
- RS Pondok Indah, Jl . Metro Duta Kav. UE, Tel.: +62 21 765 7525, Fax. +62 21 750 2324.
- RS Metropolitan Medical Centre (MMC) Jalan Rasuna Said Kav. C-21 Kuningan, Tel.: +62 21 5203435, Fax.: +62 21 5203417.
- RS Medistra, Jl . Gatot Subroto Kay. 59 Jakarta 12950, Tel. +62 21 5210200, +62 21 5210212, +62 21 5210214. Fax: +62 21 5210184.
- RS Jakarta, Jl . Jend. Sudirman Kav. 49, Tel.: +62 21 573 2241, +62 21 573 2243. Fax.: +62 21 571 0249.
- In East Jakarta, you can find the Taman Mini theme park, which is centred around the culture of Indonesia and its provinces.
- The spacious campus of the University of Indonesia can be found just south of the city in Depok.
- About 60 km south of Jakarta is the city of Bogor, known for its extensive botanical gardens.
|Routes through South Jakarta|
|Anyer ← East Jakarta ←||W E||→ Depok → Panarukan|