Jigawa State is a state in North West Nigeria. The state is the eighth largest state in Nigeria by population and is characterised predominantly by the Hausas and Fulani background. Most of the population living in Jigawa State are Muslim.
- 1 Dutse — the state capital
- 2 Garki (Jigawa)
- 3 Hadejia — the state second largest and most populous city
Jigawa State was created on 27 August 1991 and the capital city is Dutse. According to the 2006 population census conducted in Nigeria, Jigawa State recorded a population of 4.4 million giving it a rank of 8th out of 36 states in the country. Jigawa State is the 18th largest of the 36 states in Nigeria.
The state has a homogeneous population: it is mostly populated by Hausa/Fulani, who can be found in all parts of the state. Kanuri are largely found in Hadejia Emirate, with some traces of Badawa mainly in its northeastern parts. Even though each of the three dominant tribes have continued to maintain its ethnic identity, Islam and a long history of inter-marriages have continued to bind them together.
The Bade language is spoken in Guri LGA, the Warji language is spoken in Birnin Kudu LGA, and the Duwai language is spoken in Hadejia LGA. Major languages are Hausa and Fula (spoken by the Fulani).
Get in Edit
By plane Edit
- Dutse International Airport (LOS IATA). You can fly in from most states in Nigeria like (Lagos, Abuja, Kaduna, Akure) and other places.
By bus Edit
Another way to get into Jigawa State is by boarding buses that ply the road, for example, there are a lot of transportation companies that ply Jigawa so all you need to do is to get to the park station and board a bus that is traveling to Jigawa State and you will find yourself there.
By train Edit
Another way to get into Jigawa State is by train, You can go to the railway station in the state you are in and board a train going to Jigawa State.
Get around Edit
Getting around in Jigawa State is not difficult, as there are buses available to take you around, all you need to do is to board the bus in Jigawa state, tell the driver the area you are going to and the driver will take you there, however, you need to inform the driver and keep reminding him/her, so they don't end up moving tourists past their bus stops.
- Birnin Kudu Rock Paintings. The Birnin Kudu Rock Painting was discovered between 1950 and 1955 in Birnin Kudu. It is notable for having a collection of ancient rock gongs which were used as musical instruments and warning bells. It is a place every tourist to Jigawa State should ensure they visit. Before visiting the Birnin Kudu Rock Painting, every tourist should ensure they get ready their camera as there are a lot of photos you will want to take, so go along with your camera and also, you should go along with a hat and sunshades for protection against the sun.
- Gwarem Forest Reserve. This is a forest reserve in Jigawa State created by the government to preserve the forest and wildlife, it is a place every tourist should visit.
- Wawan Rafi Lake. Wawan Rafi is situated in Kazaure and it has a scenic environment. The lake is a holiday resort that offers water sport activities such as fishing, boating, etc. Golf courses and other recreational activities are also taking place there.
There are a lot of things to do in Jigawa State, Nigeria. Tourists to Jigawa State should do the following:
- Pay a visit to the Emir of Dutse Palace: The Emir of Dutse Palace is a major attraction center in Jigawa State, there are unique architectural sites and buildings in the palace and it is also a very safe location for tourists.
- Baturiya Bird Sanctuary: This is another place any tourist to Jigawa State should visit. This wetland area attracts birds from across the globe – and now, as the United Nations recognizes the sanctuary as a tourist location of international significance, it’s not only the birds that are flocking to Baturiya.
Sahad Stores Ltd, C10/C11 Sani Abacha Way, Dutse, ☏ . Dealer in all sort of food items, electrical goods, fitness equipment, salon products and accessories among others.
Sky Point Grocery, 1, Dutse Alhaji Street Zone 3 Junction, Dutse, ☏ . Dealer in all sort of canned goods, baked foods, diary products and other ranges of grocery items.
- Hasinah Confectionery and Restaurant, Abdullahi Mai Kano way, Dutse, ☏ . Restaurant to buy and eat any food of your choice.
- Yahuza Suya Spot Nig Ltd, P952+WJQ, 720101, Dutse, ☏ . A place you should visit to eat suya and have a very good drink
There are a lot of places to drink in Jigawa state, all you need to do is to walk into any of the bar, place your order, sit and have a good drink.