Kakinada is a port city and a municipal corporation  in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. It is the headquarters of East Godavari district.The city has a population of about 550,000 urban and 896,329 including kakinada rural, which covers an Metro area of approximately 190 Sq Km, making it the fourth largest tier-2 city in Andhra Pradesh. It is part of the mighty River Godavari Delta Region.
It goes by the sobriquets "Fertilizer City",owing to the large concentration of fertilizer plants and "Pensioner's Paradise" & "Second Madras", as it is well planned and peaceful city. Although earlier it is called as "Pensioner's Paradise",it made its significance in industrial sector as well and is witnessing rapid growth, after the setting up of a Special Economic Zone and proposed "Petroleum, Chemical and Petrochemical Investment Region (PCPIR)". The city is the defacto capital of KG Basin and a hub to all the deep sea exploratory activity in the region.This region is purported to be the next Gulf of Mexico.
You could travel to this beautiful, quaint port city by road or rail. If you are travelling by air, then you can fly to either Rajahmundry or Visakhapatnam. Both places are well connected to major cities, take road or rail transport from there.
The nearest airport is located at Rajahmundry, about 65 km from the city has services to Hyderabad, Chennai and Visakhapatnam. The nearest International airport is at Visakhapatnam at a distance of 145 km and has the services of all major airline operators to all big cities in the country.
Kakinada is connected to the capital city Hyderabad by direct train, which covers the journey overnight. There are several trains which can bring you from all across the country to Samalkot, which is only about 15km away from Kakinada. Frequent bus, taxi and auto connections can take you to Kakinada in 20 - 25 minutes from Samalkot. Kakinada has three railway stations namely Kakinada Junction(3km), Kakinada Port(8km) and Samalkot Junction(12km). Only Samalkota is on the Chennai-Visakhapatnam-Howrah line, where almost all express trains stop to connect Kakinada with the important places of the country.
Good roads connect Kakinada with all the places within the state and also with major cities like Chennai and Bangalore. Transport by road from Kakinada to all the places of interest is in the form of Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APSRTC buses), There are non-stop services to Visakhapatnam and Rajahmundry 365 days-a-year.
Private bus operators provide transport services to various parts of the country. National Highway-214 runs through the heart of the city.
Taxis, Autorickshaws are the major means of transport within the city. Kakinada remains one of the few places in which you can enjoy an open top rickshaw ride across town while you enjoy the breeze and the colourful market streets in this beautiful city. There are mini-buses to connect various places in the town. And for those that prefer a more personal means of quick transport, there are the auto-rickshaws.
Kakinada is also a place of interest for Tourists as well. Below is the list of places to visit in and around Kakinada.
- . A religious site growing in popularity. This temple has great architectural features and sits on a hill top that offers a panoramic view of the surrounding fields and villages.
- Adurru Excavation Site - is a large ancient Buddhist stupa or a recluse destination.
- Bhimeswara Swamy Temple. an important Siva temple located in Draksharama
- Coringa Wildlife Sanctuary. is a large stretch of mangrove forests in India that is home to more than 120 bird species and a few endangered bird species. The sanctuary is very well maintained and lush green. There is a boat service by APTDC into the waters.
- Kukkuteshwara Swamy Temple. at Pithapuram (12 km)
- Hope Island. in the Bay of Bengal and is around 7km east of Kakinada
- Kotipalli Kotilingeswara Temple. on the banks of the Godavari River
- Konaseema. offers scenic locations of delta islands and boat rides on the Godavari River. This area is known for its scenic greenery and hospitality. There were traditional festivals held here during the year such as Nagula Chavathi (snake worship) and Bhogi (harvest festival)
- Rajiv Gandhi Beach. on the banks of the Godavari River in Yanam
- Sri Bhava Narayana Swamy Temple. at Sarpavaram (5 km)
- Sri Bhimeswaraswamy Vari Temple (Sri Chalukya Kumararama temple). one of the Pancharama Kshetras and a National Heritage Site)(10km) Samalkota
- Vakalpudi beach. a short distance from the Kakinada Beach Park on the banks of the Godavari River in Yanam.
Apart from the above you will find several temples with Gardens and ponds.
Apart from the movie entertainments, there are many parks, cosmopolitan clubs, beaches and natural scenic attractions. Its well known for its multiplex and fine cinema theatres within the Godavari Districts of Andhra Pradesh.
Kakinada also offers a good selection of stores and malls selling clothes, jewellery, books and other accessories etc.
Some popular places are:
- Bommana Brothers.
- Chandana Brothers.
- Khanzana Jewellery.
- Planet Fashion.
- Raj Jewellery.
- Spencers Hyper Market.
- Vaibhav Mall.
- And many book and accessory stores available near main road and balaji Cheruvu.
Kakainada famous for sea foods, especially good and popular variety of fish and prawns. This city is also famous for its unique "Kakinada Kaja", which was very popular not only in Andhra, but also in far away places like Bihar and U.P and is available at many sweet shops locally, sugar-syrup filled, sweet dish. Good options for Biriyani are Yati foods, Spice, Seasons and Haveli restaurants with branches at Main Road and near Bhanugudi Center.
- Sri Krishna Vilas, Ramaraopeta (in Subbayya Hotel), ☏ .
- Few more different items that one should not miss are the innumerable carts strategically located at populous street corners to get their share of bhajis and a delightfully tasty mixture of onions, toasted rice, and sev (Pidatha Kindha Pappu).
- kottaaya (khaja), main road (near super bazar), ☏ . kakinda is very famous for this special dish name as kottaya khaja
Some fine pubs, bars and resorts are located within the city and yanam (union territory) nearby for people to get relaxed in their own way. Few of them are:
- Hot 5 bar, in Hotel Royal Park.
- Hotel Ishwarya Grand, Bar.
- Open Galaxy Bar and Restaurant, Bhanugudi centre.
- Sixer Pub, near Bhanugudi center.
It is home to several star and business class hotels providing a pleasant stay to the tourists and business people. Few of them are Royal Park, Aishwarya Grand, Jaya Residency (Daspalla group) and Hotel Oak Tree.
Additionally you will find many budget hotels as well.