Kamianske (Ukrainian: Кам'янське) is a city in Eastern Ukraine on the Dnieper River where its dam forms the Kamianske Reservoir, with a water area of 567 km² among the largest fresh water bodies in Europe.
Kamianske is strongly industrialised city, powered by a hydroelectric dam on the Dnieper River. This city of nearly a quarter million inhabitants was known as Dniprodzerzhynsk during the Soviet era, but reverted to its historic name in 2016 as part of a coordinated effort of Ukrainian authorities to shed its Soviet reputation. Although its economy is being diversified, it still relies on heavy industry, with chimneys and distillation columns prominently present in its skyline. During the Soviet era, Kamianske was known as a centre of chemical industry, and nationally important for the manufacturing of nuclear reactor fuel, fertilizer, and metallurgy.
The Kamianske train station is for cargo only, the passenger station is 1 Kamianske-Pasazhyrske. Most long distance trains stop here, including fast intercity and high speed trains to Kyiv, Dnipro, Pokrovsk, and Zaporizhia. It is also a hub for suburban rail services.
Kamianske has an well developed tram network to get around the city. Although the vehicles are outdated to modern comfort standards, the network is efficient and probably the fastest way to get around especially during rush hour.
- 1 Church of St. Nicholas (Костел святого Миколая). Roman catholic church.
- 2 Central Park (Центральний парк). 24/7. 8 ha public park and arboretum established in 1974. Free.
- 3 St. Nicholas Cathedral (Собор святого Миколая Чудотворця). Orthodox cathedral and one of the most important architectural landmarks in the city.
- 4 History Museum (Музей історії м. Кам'янського), проспект Свободи, 39, ☏ , Info@museumkamyanske.com.ua. Tu-Su 10:00 - 17:00. History of Kamianske and the Dnipropetrovsk Oblast. In Ukrainian only.
- 5 Litak (Літак), вулиця Архівна, 24. 24/7. Soviet aircraft as a monument and historical landmark on the Arkhivna avenue. Free.
- 1 (Навигатор), Аношкина 32а, ☏ . 11:00-23:00 daily. Fairly posh restaurant and cafe with minimalist interior but good music and food. Good selection of salads, pastas, fish, and grilled meat. The spare ribs, as well as the turkey with pear salad are tasty. At 250 - 400 UAH for a meal with drinks it's relatively expensive compared to other restaurants in the area.