Kanata is a non-descript suburb of Ottawa with a population of about 137,000 (2021) that is separated from the rest of the city by a greenbelt. It is the home of Ottawa's National Hockey League team, the Senators.
Kanata is a relatively new area that was developed in March Township in the 1960s. Many technology firms are headquartered in Kanata, including Mitel.
Canada's National Capital Region is not a separate region like the District of Columbia or Australian Capital Territory but there is a National Capital Commission (NCC), funded by the federal government, which does various things in the city and region. One of the NCC's projects was a "green belt" around Ottawa; they expropriated a band about 10 miles (16 km) wide around the city, reforested parts of it and rented other parts back to farmers. Kanata was the first major development outside that belt, a planned community that won some design awards.
Get in edit
By plane edit
A taxi from Ottawa airport to Kanata will be expensive since it is quite a long way (southern extreme of the city to the extreme west). OC Transpo bus connections are good; route 97 serves the airport, and 88 goes to Kanata, meeting route 97 at Heron transitway station.
By car edit
Highway 417 (Trans-Canada Highway) goes right through Kanata. Travelers heading west can travel from Ottawa. Major exits for Kanata are March Road, Kanata Avenue, and Terry Fox. Travelers heading east can arrive from Sudbury or North Bay, though the freeway part of the highway is numbered 417 and the non-freeway part of the highway is numbered 17.
About 12 km west of Kanata, is the interchange between Highway 417 and Highway 7, where Highway 7 terminates. A branch of the Trans-Canada Highway travels between Sudbury and Kenata along Highways 69 and 400, Highway 12, and Highway 7.
By bus edit
Get around edit
By bus edit
- OC Transpo (the Ottawa/Carleton bus system) runs in Kanata. Routes 96 (via the transitway, then Richmond Road) and 118 (from Hurdman, along Baseline & through Bells Corners) are two of the main lines from central Ottawa. Fares (2019) are $3.50 for adults, $2.65 for seniors, $1.80 for children 6-13, and free for children under 6. Ticket machines accept cash, debit and credit. Fares are lower for those using a Presto smart card.
- 1 Ottawa Senators, Palladium Drive. National Hockey League team plays in the Canadian Tire Centre, formerly Scotiabank Place, Corell Centre and the Palladium.
- Kanata Wave Pool, 70 Aird Place.
- The Spa Day Retreat - A 16,000-sq-ft eco-spa established within a 19th-century former farm house.
- There are paths for walking, biking, or jogging.
- The Centrum, 130 Earl Grey Dr. Restaurants and large retail stores like Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Chapters, Golf Town, and Sport Chek.
- Amuse Kitchen & Wine, 500 Eagleson Rd, ☏ , email@example.com. M-W 5-9PM; Th F 11:30AM-2PM, 5-9PM; Sa 5-10PM. Seasonal, local and fresh; sharing plates; gourmet lunches; wine pairings.
- Kanata Noodle House, 500 Hazeldean Rd, Units 112 and 113, ☏ . 10AM-10PM. Pho, Vietnamese food.
- Big Bone BBQ & Wicked Wings, 701 Eagleson Rd, Unit 4, ☏ . M-Sa 11AM-9PM, Su noon-9PM. Ribs, Sandwiches, poutine.
- Central Bierhaus, 650 Kanata Ave, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. M-W 4PM-midnight, Th 11:30AM-midnight, F 11:30AM-2AM, Sa 11:30AM-2AM, Su 11:30AM-1AM. Over 150 beer offerings, communal tables, oysters and savoury dishes with ample TVs for live sports events.
- 1 Options Jazz Lounge at Brookstreet, 525 Legget Drive (in the Brookstreet Hotel), ☏ , toll-free: , email@example.com. Sa-Su 9AM-10:30PM, M-F 11:30AM-10:30PM. Located off the main lobby of the Brookstreet Hotel. A relaxing and sophisticated lounge.
- 1 The Brookstreet, 525 Legget Dr, ☏ . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 11AM. Newer luxury hotel and resort popular with technology companies and visiting sports teams. Facilities include a full-service spa with 11 treatment rooms, a championship golf course (The Marshes), a European PGA-approved short course (Marchwood), a four-diamond restaurant (Perspectives) and a fitness studio with whirlpools, steam rooms and indoor and outdoor pools.
- Holiday Inn & Suites Ottawa Kanata, 101 Kanata Avenue, ☏ , toll-free: , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 Comfort Inn Ottawa West (Kanata), 222 Hearst Way (Highway #417, Exit 138 Eagleson Road), ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. Check-in: 11AM, check-out: 3PM. Free breakfast, free parking, and free internet.
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Ottawa Kanata, 578 Terry Fox Drive, ☏ .
The area code is 613, along with the rest of Ottawa.
Stay safe edit
Kanata is a fairly safe area and you shouldn't have too much trouble with crime here. The emergency number is 911.
It might be a good idea to avoid certain parts of Glen Cairn after dark on weekends and take care in the Kanata Centrum on Friday and Saturday nights.
Go next edit
|Routes through Kanata|
|North Bay ← Carp ←||W E||→ Ottawa → Montreal|
|Peterborough ← Carleton Place ←||W E||→ END|