Kanata is a non-descript suburb of Ottawa with a population of about 91,000 (2016) that is separated from the rest of the city by a greenbelt. It is the home of Ottawa's National Hockey League team, the Senators.
Kanata is a relatively new area that was developed in March Township in the 1960s. Many technology firms are headquartered in Kanata, including Mitel.
Ottawa-Gatineau is not a separate capital region like the District of Columbia or Australian Capital Territory but there is a National Capital Commission (NCC), funded by the federal government, which does various things in the city and region. One of the NCC's projects was a "green belt" around Ottawa; they expropriated a band about 10 miles (16 km) wide around the city, reforested parts of it and rented other parts back to farmers. Kanata was the first major development outside that belt, a planned community that won some design awards.
Ottawa International Airport or the Carp Airport.
A taxi from Ottawa airport to Kanata will be expensive since it is quite a long way (southern extreme of the city to the extreme west). OC Transpo bus connections are good; the #97 goes downtown from the airport and #61, 62 and 63 all go to Kanata from downtown or near downtown. The two routes overlap all the way from Hurdman station (east of downtown) to Lincoln Fields station (well to the west); you can transfer anywhere between those.
Highway 417 (Trans-Canada Highway) goes right through Kanata. Travelers heading west can travel from Ottawa. Major exits for Kanata are March Road, Kanata Avenue, and Terry Fox. Travelers heading east can arrive from Sudbury or North Bay, though the freeway part of the highway is numbered 417 and the non-freeway part of the highway is numbered 17.
About 12 km west of Kanata, is the interchange between Highway 417 and Highway 7, where Highway 7 terminates. A branch of the Trans-Canada Highway travels between Sudbury and Kenata along Highways 69 and 400, Highway 12, and Highway 7.
- OC Transpo (the Ottawa/Carleton bus system) runs in Kanata. Routes 96 (via the transitway, then Richmond Road) and 118 (from Hurdman, along Baseline & through Bells Corners) are two of the main lines from central Ottawa. Fares (2019) are $3.50 for adults, $2.65 for seniors, $1.80 for children 6-13, and free for children under 6. Ticket machines accept cash, debit and credit. Fares are lower for those using a Presto smart card.
- 1 Ottawa Senators, Palladium Drive. National Hockey League team plays in the Canadian Tire Centre, formerly Scotiabank Place, Corell Centre and the Palladium.
- Kanata Wave Pool, 70 Aird Place.
- The Spa Day Retreat - A 16,000-sq-ft eco-spa established within a 19th-century former farm house.
- There are paths for walking, biking, or jogging.
- The Centrum, 130 Earl Grey Dr. Restaurants and large retail stores like Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Chapters, Golf Town, and Sport Chek.
- Amuse Kitchen & Wine, 500 Eagleson Rd, ☏ , email@example.com. M-W 5-9PM; Th F 11:30AM-2PM, 5-9PM; Sa 5-10PM. Seasonal, local and fresh; sharing plates; gourmet lunches; wine pairings.
- [dead link] Kanata Noodle House, 500 Hazeldean Rd, Units 112 and 113, ☏ . 10AM-10PM. Pho, Vietnamese food.
- Big Bone BBQ & Wicked Wings, 701 Eagleson Rd, Unit 4, ☏ . M-Sa 11AM-9PM, Su noon-9PM. Ribs, Sandwiches, poutine.
- The Brookstreet Resort, 525 Legget Drive.
- Holiday Inn & Suites Ottawa Kanata, 101 Kanata Avenue, ☏ , toll-free: , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Comfort Inn Ottawa West (Kanata), 222 Hearst Way (Highway #417, Exit 138 Eagleson Road), ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. Check-in: 11AM, check-out: 3PM. Free breakfast, free parking, and free internet.
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Ottawa Kanata, 578 Terry Fox Drive, ☏ .
The area code is 613, along with the rest of Ottawa.
Kanata is a fairly safe area and you shouldn't have too much trouble with crime here. The emergency number is 911.
It might be a good idea to avoid certain parts of Glen Cairn after dark on weekends and take care in the Kanata Centrum on Friday and Saturday nights.
|Routes through Kanata|
|North Bay ← Carp ←||W E||→ Ottawa → Montreal|
|Peterborough ← Carleton Place ←||W E||→ END|