Karasjok sits in the interior of the wide Finnmark county. The observation site there holds most of the record low temperatures in Norway, for instance the coldest ever recorded is -51,4°C. Even in the month of May -23°C has been recorded, and in August -9°C. Annual average is -2.4°C. Summer months are usually pleasently warm however with a July average 13.4°C. There is very little precipitation, annual average is around 300 mm making it one of the driest areas in Europe.
- Tourist office, Ávjovárgeaidnu 1, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M–F 10:00–18:00, Sa–Su 10:00–14:00.
The nearest airport is at Lakselv
- Lakselv - takes about 1 hour. Connecting bus from Nordkapp, Hammerfest, Alta and Tromsø.
- Tana - takes about 3 hours. Connecting bus from Vadsø, Vardø and Kirkenes.
- Karigasniemi, Finland - takes about 20 minutes. Connecting bus from Inari, Ivalo, Saariselkä, Sodankylä and Rovaniemi. The route is operated by Eskelisen Lapinlinjat.
The town is small and possible to see by foot. For the surroundings some vehicle is needed unless you are a wilderness backpacker.
- Turgleder, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. November–May. Cross-country skiing, from easy or demanding day trips to moderate week-long journeys in spring or extreme two-week adventures in February. Also courses on skiing and outdoor skills.
- Anarjohka Forest Lodge (Anárjohka utmarksturisme) (by the border river Anárjohka, 46 km from the centre 30 km from Karigasniemi), ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. Lodging and programme services.
Restaurant in the hotel, meals probably available also at some other lodgings.
- Engholm's Husky Design Lodge, 9730 Karasjok, ☏ . This is an amazing place in the forests outside Karasjok.
- Scandic Hotel Karasjok, Leavnnjageaidnu 49, ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. Hotel. Children welcome. Restaurant. Sauna. Breakfast included. Free Wi-Fi. Bicycles to borrow. Standard and family rooms with en suite, economy rooms with shared facilities. Pets welcome in some rooms. Some services unavailable off season. From 890 kr.
- Kautokeino in the middle of the Finnmarksvidda plateau.
|Routes through Karasjok|
|Narvik ← Lakselv ←||NW NE||→ Tana → Kirkenes|