Kasese grew around the copper mine at Kilembe, but attention later turned to cobalt mining. It is the chief town of Kasese District, and the district headquarters are located there. Kasese is also the largest town in the Rwenzururu region. Charles Mumbere, the Omusinga of Rwenzururu, maintains a palace in the town.
Get in Edit
Kasese is approximately 345 kilometres (214 mi), by road, west of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. This is about 61 km (38 mi), by road, north-east of Mpondwe, the border town at the international border between Uganda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
Buses from Kampala to Link and Kalita take five hours the fare is USh 25,000. The same buses from Fort Portal take one hour and the fare is USh 5,000. There are also 14-seat vans coming from Kabale and Mbarara. The 14-seat van fare from Mbarara is USh 20,000.
- 1 Kasese Airport.
Get around Edit
Boda-boda anywhere in town for USh 1000.
- Stanbic Bank, Stanley street. Has a MasterCard/Visa ATM.
- Equity bank, Mpondwe road. Has a MasterCard/Visa ATM.
- White House Hotel Restaurant, Plot no 46 white house dr Henry Bwambale Road, ☏ . 7AM-10PM. Has a good low cost restaurant on the 2nd floor of the hotel.
- Chicken Inn Takeaway (next to Barclays bank). 8AM-8PM. Low cost place to eat.
- White House Hotel, Plot no 46 White house Dr Herry bwambale road (300m from the Barclays bank.), ☏ , . Check-in: 10AM, check-out: 10AM. Clean fan single room with outside bathroom and TV. Clean fan double room with own bathroom and TV. Free breakfast for all rooms. Has it own internet cafe USh 1,500 a hour. Has its own low cost restaurant on the 2nd floor. Clean budget hotel. single room USh 21,000.
- Divine Guest House, 42 Kasese Road. Check-in: noon, check-out: 10AM. Single/double rooms with shared facilities and breakfast. has Wi-Fi. Single USh 15,000, double USh 25,000.
- Allans Resort, Kasese Road. Check-in: 11AM, check-out: 9AM. Single/double room with own bathroom and cable TV. USh 44000/56000.
- Ataco holiday inn and bar, Stanley Road. Clean double rooms with own bathroom. Double USh 30,000.
- 1 [dead link] Equator Snow Lodge, Mubuku. On the foothills of the Rwenzori mountains. The cabins are spacious and are solar-powered.
- Friends Internet cafe, Stanley Street. 8AM-9PM. There are also a few more internet cafes around town. USh 1,800 per hour.
- White House Hotel Internet cafe. 20 min USh 500. 40 min USh 1000. USh 1500 an hour.