region in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
|WARNING: Many governments advise against all travel to most of the region and against all but essential travel to Goma and Bukavu. This is due to an Ebola outbreak, violent crime, and ongoing armed conflict. Consular services may not be available. See the warning on the Democratic Republic of the Congo article.|
Government travel advisories
|(Information last updated 28 Aug 2020)|
Kivu is a region in the east of Democratic Republic of the Congo. It runs along the western shore of Lake Tanganyika.
Influenced by neighboring Burundi, Rwanda, & Uganda this region is known for its volcanoes, mountain gorillas, and, tragically, its unfathomable conflicts
It is possible to use the most used mean that is motorcycle taxis (known as boda-boda), and during the crossing between the cities there are several buses that carries out the operation of transportation of persons and their goods in different locations.
- Kahuzi Biega National Park.
- Idjwi Island that is located in lake Kivu.
- The Nyiragongo volcano
- Lake Kivu
- Gorillas in Virunga National Park
- The Green Lake.
- 1 Nyiragongo Volcano. This volcano, famous for its lava lake, is a technically easy climb from the direction of Goma. A trip to the top should take ~6-8 hours, so most climbers spend the night at the top. The park was closed in May 2009 due to the rebel occupation but was reopened in March 2010; it closed again during the M23 siege of the city but it reopened on November 2014. The tour with the Virunga National Park costs USD$255 for internationals and USD$55 for Congolese and it includes the permit to the park as well as the lodging at the top of the volcano and guides.
- Supermarket Asante.
- Hotel La Roche as this hotel is located near the lake, those who reachs it get the opportunity to enjoy great views of the lake.
- Albacha Restaurant.
- Hotel Orchid
- Colibri Hotel
- Hotel Horizon
- Dallas Club, located at Ave. De la Poste.
- Chez Doga, it is located on Blvd Kanyamuhanga.
- Zebra Night Club, located on Ave. Mapendo.
- Coco Jambo, located on Blvd Kanyamuhanga.
- Flat Dallas it is located next to power company office
- Hotel Riviera.
- Hotel Residence.
- Hotel Tanganyika.
- Hotel Panorama.
- Ihusi Hotel, 140 Blvd Kanyamuhanga.
- VIP Palace, 27 Ave de la Revolution.
- Goma Serena Hotel, 105 Avenue De La Corniche.
- Le Nyira Hotel, located at Blvd Kanyamuhanga.
- Al matar Hotel, located on Ave. la Corniche.