East Kolkata basically covers new growth areas on the eastern side of the metroplis and it is an area that is still growing. It houses the IT hub of Kolkata, shopping emporiums and amusement parks. Science City is a major attraction. Salt Lake Stadium is a major occasional crowd puller. Large number of hospitals attract patients from the metropolis and beyond. A number of new hotels have come up. It covers Rajarhat, Jyoti Basu Nagar, Bidhannagar and the areas around Eastern Metropolitan Bypass.
Numerous bus routes connect the area with other parts of the city.
Two new metro routes are under construction.
The first phase of the East-West Metro (Line 2), from Sector V to Salt Lake Stadium, is expected to be operational in 2019. The second phase, till Phoolbagan, will be operational by October 2019. The third phase till Sealdah is planned to open by March 2020 and the final phase which includes the journey under the Ganges shall be operational by June 2021.
A 5-km stretch of the New Garia-Airport Metro (Line 6) is expected to be inaugurated in 2019.
The area is extensive and still developing. Cycle rickshaws are available for short trips wherever there is regular demand for it. Point-to-point auto rickshaw services are there but are not as extensive or frequent as in some other parts of the metropolis.
- 1 Tangra or New China Town (On Park Circus Connector, turn north near D.N.Dey Homeopathic College & Hospital at Topsia Bus Stand). Tangra (New China Town) along with Tiretta Bazaar (Old China Town) is the only Chinatown in India. The locality was once home to 20,000 ethnic Chinese, now the population has dropped to 2,000 or so. The traditional occupation of the Chinese community here had been working in the nearby tanning industry and the Chinese restaurants. The area is still noted for the Chinese restaurants where many people flock to taste traditional Chinese and Indian Chinese food. Historically there were many opium dens in this area (now opium is illegal).
- 2 International Bus Terminal, Karunamoyee. The Kolkata-Dhaka bus service operates from here.
- 3 Milan Mela, JBS Haldane Avenue (Park Circus Connector). It is a permanent trade fair complex. Fairs of different kinds are held at regular intervals, including Kolkata Book Fair,
- 4 Salt Lake Stadium. The stadium has the second largest non-auto racing capacity in the world and largest in the Indian sub-continent. It is used for football matches and athletics. The stadium was built in 1984 and holds 120,000 in a three-tier configuration.
- 1 Aquatica Water Park, Kochpukur, P.O. Hatgachia, ☏ , . Daily 10AM to 6PM. This theme water park offers visitors a cool respite from the heat and grime of city life.
- 2 Eco Park (Prakiti Tirtha (প্রকৃতি তীর্থ)), Major Arterial Road (South-East), Action Area II, New Town, Kolkata, ☏ . Noon-4:30PM. A 480 acre landscaped park surrounding a 104-acre water body. Activities include paddleboats, rowboats, duo cycles, birdwatching, etc. 20.
- 3 Mother's Wax Museum, CBD-1, Hidco Tower, 69-1111, New Town, ☏ . Noon-3:30PM. The Mother's Wax Museum consists of nine sections containg 18 to 19 wax models of eminent personalities. It contains models of Maradona, Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, Manna Dey, Rabindranath Tagore, Mahatma Gandhi, etc. 150.
- 4 Nalban Boating Complex, ☏ . Adjoining Nicco Park, Nalban lake as the name suggests is mainly lakes and creeks (nal) fringed by groves (ban). It is a beautiful picnic spot for families, who would like to spend few hours in the lush greenery and placid lake. It is tucked away from the hustle and bustle of city life. Its unpolluted environment offers a respite and soothes the visitors.
- 5 Nicco Park, Salt Lake Sector IV, ☏ , . It is Disneyland for Kolkattans with its various adventure rides. Opened in 1991, Nicco Park is one of the biggest amusement parks in the country and has innovative entertainment for all age groups. This amusement park offers fun for children as well as adults and draws crowds from suburban Kolkata especially on the weekends.
- 6 Science City, At the junction of J.B.S. Haldane Avenue (Park Circus Connector) and Eastern Metropolitan Bypass. It is one of the most spectacular science centres in the country. The size of the Science City baffles the first time visitor.
- 7 Swabhumi Heritage Park. Here one can sample local arts and crafts as well as some of the food from its various stalls.
- 1 Apsara Shopping Arcade (At the crossing of EM Bypass and Prince Anwar Shah connector).
- 2 Axis Mall, Action Area 1C, Block CF, Plot No. 09, New Town, Rajarhat, ☏ . Shopping mall, restaurants, Bioscope multiplex with four screens.
- 3 Charnock City, KB 26 Salt Lake City, ☏ .
- 4 City Centre II Rajarhat.
- 5 City Centre Salt Lake City, 3rd Avenue, DC Block, ☏ .
- 6 Hiland Park Metropolis Mall, EM Bypass Chak Garia. 175,000 sq ft mall.
- 7 Home Town, BG Block, Newtown, ☏ .
- 8 Mani Square, 164/1, Manicktala Main Road (EM Bypass). It has more than 710,000 square feet (66,000 m²) of total area accommodating 250 outlets.
- 9 Silver Spring Arcade, EM Bypass.
- 10 Upohar Town Centre (Attached to Upohar Housing Complex of Bengal Ambuja), New Garia (Near Kavi Subhas terminal metro station). Spencer's and other outlets.
City Centre II RajarhatEdit
- Gamma's World Cuisine, M 208, 2nd Floor, ☏ . International cuisine. Drinks served.
- KFC, Ground Floor, Block C, ☏ , . American fast food. Drinks not served.
- Kwality Wall Swirl's. Desserts.
- Massekah, B 215 2nd floor, Block B, ☏ , . North Indian, Afghani cuisine. Drinks served.
- McDonald's, Unit A001, Block A, Ground Floor, ☏ . American fast food. Drinks not served.
- The Orient, Ground Floor, ☏ . Chinese cuisine. Drinks not served.
- Pizza Hut, Ground Floor, Block C, ☏ . Italian cuisine, desserts. Drinks not served.
- Zion Lounge, Ground Floor, ☏ . Drinks not served.
- Aaheli, 4th floor, ☏ , . 12:30AM-10:30PM. Bengali cuisine. Drinks served. Good environment, high price, indifferent service.
- Addiction, 4th floor, ☏ . North Indian, Chinese cuisine. Drinks served.
- Cafe Coffee Day, 2nd floor. 10:30AM-11:30PM.
- Calcutta Retro, 5th Floor, ☏ . 12:30AM-10:30PM. Bengali cuisine. Drinks served.
- Mehak-e-Punjab, 4th Floor, Axis Mall, New Town, Major Arterial Road, Action Area I, Rajarhat, ☏ . Noon-11PM. North Indian, Chinese cuisine. Drinks served.
City Centre Salt Lake CityEdit
- Afraa Restaurant, 7th Floor, Block G, ☏ , . 12:30PM-3PM, 7-11PM. Continental, Mediterranean, Italian and Japanese cuisine. Drinks served.
- Caught n Bowled, 4th Floor, Block B, ☏ , . Noon-3:30PM, 7PM-10:45PM. Chinese, Continental and North Indian cuisine. Drinks served.
- Copper Chimney, 3rd Floor, Block C, ☏ , . Noon-3:30PM, 7PM-10:30PM. North Indian cuisine. Drinks not served.
- Haka, 2nd Floor, Block E, ☏ , . Noon-10PM. Chinese cuisine. Drinks served.
- Kaafila, 3rd Floor, Block B, ☏ , . 12:30-3:15PM, 7PM-10:30PM. North Indian cuisine. Drinks served.
- KFC, 1st Floor, Block A, ☏ , . 11AM-11PM. American fast food. Drinks not served.
- Pizza Hut, 1st Floor, Block A, ☏ , . 11AM-11PM. Italian, pizza, desserts. Drinks not served.
- Flame & Grill, 4th Floor, ☏ , . 12.:30PM-3:30PM, 6:30PM-11PM. North Indian cuisine. Drinks served.
- Haka, 4th Floor, ☏ , . Noon-3:30PM, 6:30PM-11PM. Chinese cuisine. Drinks served.
- KFC, 3rd Floor, ☏ , . 11AM-11PM. American fast food. Drinks not served.
- Khandani Rajdhani Restaurant, 4th Floor, ☏ , . 11:30AM-3:30PM, 6:30PM-11PM. Rajasthani, Gujarati cuisine. Drinks not served.
- Machan, 4th Floor, ☏ , . Noon-3:30PM, 6:30PM-11PM. North Indian, Mughlai cuisine. Drinks not served.
- McDonald's, Ground Floor, ☏ . 11AM-11PM. American fast food. Drinks not served.
- Mio Amore, 4th Floor, ☏ , . 12:30PM-11PM. Mediterranean cuisine. Drinks served.
- The Shack, 4th Floor, ☏ . 1PM-11PM. Goan cuisine. Drinks served.
- Square 4o5, ☏ , . 11AM-10:30PM. Continental, North Indian cuisine. Drinks not served.
Silver Spring ArcadeEdit
- Mainland China, 3rd Floor, ☏ , . Chinese cuisine. Drinks served.
- Masque, 3rd Floor, ☏ . North Indian cuisine. Drinks served.
- Oh! Calcutta, 3rd Floor, ☏ , . Bengali cuisine, seafood. Drinks not served.
- Sigree, 1st Floor, ☏ , . North Indian cuisine. Drinks served.
- Beijing Restaurant, 77/1, Christopher Road, Tangra, ☏ , . Chinese cuisine. Drinks served.
- Big Boss, 54C Matheswartala Rd, ☏ , . Chinese cuisine. Drinks served.
- Golden Joy, 50/1, Matherswar Tala Rd (Near Gobinda Khatick Post Office), ☏ , . Chinese cuisine. Drinks served.
- Kafulok, 47, Govinda Khatick Rd, ☏ , . Chinese cuisine. Drinks not served.
- Kim Ling, 13, South Tangra Rd, ☏ , . Chinese cuisine. Drinks not served.
- Ming Garden Chinese Restaurant, 50/2, Matheswartala Rd, ☏ , . Chinese cuisine. Drinks served.
- Charnock's, KB 26, Sector 3, Salt Lake City, ☏ , . Noon-4PM, 7:30PM-10:30PM. Continental, Bengali, North Indian cuisine. Drinks served.
- Hiland Park Metropolis Mall, Santoshpur, ☏ . Has a ten-outlet eatery.
- Mishra's Bar & Restaurant, DG 1, Sector 2, Salt Lake City, ☏ , . 9AM-11PM. Bar with good food arrangements. North Indian, South Indian, Continental, Chinese cuisine.
- Mishra's Bar & Restaurant, IB-157, Sector 3, Salt Lake City (Near Tank 14), ☏ . 9AM-11PM. Bar with good food arrangements. North Indian, South Indian, Continental, Chinese cuisine.
Salt Lake is a quiet by well developed township of Eastern Kolkata.
- 1 Aquatic Palace, NP 222, Sector V, Salt Lake City, Krishnapur (Opposite Technopolis), ☏ .
- Step In, G6 Tagore, Ruby Park, Kasba (Near Ruby Hospital), ☏ .
- 2 Sun & Services, GC 35, Sector 3 Bidhannagar (Near GC Island), ☏ .
Mukundapur has a number of hospitals - notably Dr. Devi Shetty's Rabindranath Tagore International Institute of Cardiac Sciences, Medica, Vision Care of AMRI and Shankara Nethralaya.
- 3 Arunadoy Guest House, 173/1 Barakhola, Mukundapur, ☏ , . ₹250 per non-AC room.
- Ashirbad Guest House, 264 Barakhola, Mukundapur, ☏ , , . ₹300 per double-bedded room, ₹350 per triple bedded room, all non-AC rooms.
- Debi Guest House, 175 Barakhola Mukundapur, Kalikapur, ☏ , , . ₹500 per double-bedded non-AC room, ₹800 per double-bedded AC room.
- Maa Tara Guest House, 175/1 Barakhola, Mukundapur, ☏ , , . ₹400-500 per double-bedded non-AC room.
- Meghalaya Guest House, 138 Barakhola, Mukundapur, ☏ . ₹300 per double-bedded non-AC room.
- Uttam Guest House, 1563 Mukundapur Rd, ☏ , . ₹500-₹600 per double-bedded non-AC room, ₹800-₹900 per double-bedded AC room.
Panchasayar is a quiet neighbourhood near Peerless Hospital.
- Apanjan, 3 Shanti Park, Panchasayar, ☏ , . Around ₹200 per day/ non-AC room.
- Atithi, 7 Sonali Park, Panchasayar, ☏ . ₹250-350 per double-bedded non-AC room.
- Bina Bhawan, 15A, Shanti Park, Panchasayar, ☏ , . ₹300-350 per double-bedded non-AC room.
- Maity Villa, 27 Sonali Park, Panchasayar, ☏ . ₹300-500 double-bedded non-AC room; ₹800-1200 for double-bedded AC room.
- Ricko, 22 Shanti Park, Panchasayar, ☏ . ₹300-600 per double-bedded non-AC room.
- Shib Bandhalay, 21 Shanti Park, Panchasayar. ₹400 per double-bedded non-AC room.
- 4 Alcove Guest House & Service Apartment, Block DL-39 , Salt Lake City (Close to CK Market.), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. All rooms with air-conditioning, TV and private bathroom. Breakfast complimentary, free Wi-Fi access. They also have guest houses at other locations in Salt Lake City and Kolkata. ₹2250 for serviced room.
- 5 Duhita Guest House, AA 39, Salt Lake, Kolkata 700064, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Operating from 1987.
- 6 Harry Guest House, AE 329, Salt lake, Kolkata 700064, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Operating since 1992 it is a fully air conditioned guest house.
- 7 Next Generation Guest House, Plot No 255, Block AD, Sector 1, Salt Lake City, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 8 NIPS Serviced Apartments (Guest House), EC 98, Sector I, Salt Lake City, ☏ . Geared to the demands of IT sector employees for short or long stays
- 9 NRI Residency, C.I.T Road, Kankurgachi (close to Salt Lake and the EM Bypass), ✉ info@NRIResidency.com. Offers guesthouse style accommodation with clean and large AC rooms with Western-style private bathrooms. ₹1050-1200.
- 10 Tiger Inn, 1686 Lashkrhat, Tagore Park (Block -1) Naskar Hat, Kasba (near Calcutta International School and Fortis Hospital, off EM Bypass), ☏ .
- 11 Hotel The Sojourn, Plot KB 23, Sector III, Salt Lake City (Beside of Salt Lake Stadium opposite Gate No 4), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. ₹3450-4400.
- 12 Hyatt Regency, Eastern Metropolitan Bypass (in Salt Lake Sector III), ☏ , fax: .
- 13 Indismart Hotel, International Tower X-1,8/3 Block EP, Salt Lake Electronics Complex, Sector-V, ☏ , , fax: , ✉ email@example.com.
- 14 ITC Sonar Kolkata, 1 JBS Halden Ave (Next to Science City), ☏ , fax: .
- 15 Monotel, DM-2, Salt Lake, Sector-V, Kolkata 700 091 (Next to Wipro Technologies), ☏ . A luxury hotel in the IT Hub, Sector V, Salt Lake.
- 16 Novotel, CF 11 Action Area 1C New Town Rajarhat 700156 KOLKATA, ☏ . A luxury hotel in Rajarhat (New Town) area.
- 17 The Sonnet, Block DD, Plot No. 8, Sector I, Salt Lake City, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 18 The Stadel, Gate 3, Salt Lake Stadium, Sector 3, Salt Lake City, ☏ .
- 19 Swissotel, City Centre New Town, Action Area 2 D, Plot No.11/5 ▪ New Town Rajarhat, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.