municipality in Innlandet, Norway
Get in edit
By plane edit
Kongsvinger is just an hour away from Gardermoen airport by bus.
- For more information on facilities at and around Oslo Airport, Gardermoen, see the Oslo Airport, Gardermoen article.
By train edit
By bus edit
Busses from Oslo every hour, and twice every hour during rush hours.
Get around edit
- 1 Kongsvinger fortress (Kongsvinger festning) (Follow signposts to Kongsvinger festning from downtown Kongsvinger), ☏ . The fortress was by and large finished in 1684, even though some construction work carried on for some more years. Situated on a hill north and west of the river Glomma, standing astride the ancient Vinger Royal Road between Christiania (Oslo) and Värmland in Sweden, the fortifications were constructed to protect against invation from the east. As Kongsvinger formed a junction point, with a north-south route along Glomma, and an east-west route between Christiania and Sweden, Kongsvinger fortress played an important role during the Napoleonic Wars, keeping the swedes at bay. No charge and free admittance without guide, 650kr for guided tours..
- 2 National Women's Museum (Kvinnemuseet), Løkkegata 35 (Follow signposts to Kvinnemuseet from downtown Kongsvinger), ☏ . CET 12:00-15:00. The National Women's Museum is located in Øvrebyen just below Kongsvinger Fortress in a Swiss-style villa from 1857. The museum is responsible for recording of women's life and workings in Norwegian cultural history. 75kr for adults, students 40kr and children below 16 years free admittance.
- 1 Liermoen golfbane (golf course) (Short drive towards Charlottenberg on RV2), ☏ . One of Norway's most spectacular golf corse in silent pine forest.
- Cross-country skiing. Inland Hedmark is usually blessed with snow for cross-country skiing in winter. Some tracks also have snow cannons to make artificial snow.
- Hunting and fishing. An abundance of fresh water lakes makes Kongsvinger a great place for fishing. Among other species grayling, pike, trout, perch, ide, roach and burbot can be found in the surrounding lakes and streams.
- Solhaug Canoe (Canoeing). Lakes around Kongsvinger also provide great opportunities for kayaking and canoeing. If you are not familiar with handling a canoe, instructions and training can also be arranged.
- [dead link] Bowling 1, Storgata 40, ☏ . CET 12:00-22:00. Besides bowling, Bowling 1 also has billiards and other games, and a bar with karaoke.
- Kongsvinger svømmehall (Swimming facilities), Markensveien 4, ☏ . Indoor swimming facilities with sauna, therapy swimming pool, diving tower (1m, 3m and 5m), solarium and training studio.
- XL Paintball (Paintball), Haslemoen (Våler, north of Kongsvinger). Bunkers, trenches and houses formerly used by the Norwegian military provide an excellent battlefield for paintball.