Kundapur is at the centre of Karnataka's coastal belt and gives visitors the possibility to easily explore the interesting and diverse surroundings. Due to its well-organised local bus system Kundapur allows you to reach the Western Ghats, Karnataka's hinterland and other lovely beach strips quickly. Further mobility is secured by the train station which has frequent trains to Mumbai, Goa and Kerala.
Get in edit
By plane edit
By train edit
1 railway station is almost 3 km from city centre (Main Bus Stand). Frequent bus service is available to the railway station. This station connects Madgaon and Mumbai to the north and Mangalore, Kannur and Thiruvananthapuram to the south with the frequent train services.
By bus edit
Kundapur has some of the best bus services found in India, with neat, clean and luxurious buses plying every minute on the Kundpaur–Udupi–Mangalore route (NH 17). Even AC buses are available in this route. The Kundapura Bangalore route is services by a number of modern A/C Volvo and sleeper services.
Get around edit
In Kundapur one can see Sri Kundeshwara Temple from which the name "Kundapur" has came, Sri Venkataramana Temple which is famous as Padu Tirupathi and also Kote Hanumantha Temple which is coolest riverside temple.
Kundapura Railway Station (KUDA) is a major railway station on Konkan Railway route. For the outside visitors/devotees this is alighting point to visit 3 important ancient temples in the region. Shree Vinayaka Temple, Anagudde (7 km), Shree Mookambika Temple, Kollur (38 km) & Shree Sharadamba Temple, Shringeri (less than 80 km).
See and do edit
- 1 Kodi Beach (1 km from Kundapur.). A very lovely beach with white sands and absolute privacy.
- 2 Maravanthe Beach. A rather unusual beach with the Arabian Sea and the Suparnika River flowing in parallel. The river makes a U-turn and goes westward to join the sea after a journey of nearly more than 10 km (6.2 mi). White sand spread miles and miles along the coast fetches the beach a nickname of Virgin Beach.
- Mookambika temple, Kollur (is 45 km away from Kundapur.).
- Turtle Beach (14 km from Kundapur).
- Sri Hatti yangadi siddi vinayaka temple (5 km from Kundpur.).
- Sri Laxmi Venkatesha Temple (One km from Kundapur.).
- Sri Siddhi vinayaka Temple, Kumbashi (3 km from Kundapur.).
- Anegudde Temple.
- Watch Yakshagana. It is a popular local traditional theatrical art.
- Mande Haale (Helmet or cap made of dried palm tree leave).
Eat and drink edit
- Hotel JK. Good food. Cool non-veg stuff.
- Hotel Parijatha, near Shenoy Park. Pure veg.
- Hotel Sharon. Harshs Refreshments- Shastri Circle. Pure veg.
- Maiya Canteen. Pure vegetarian restaurant.
- Shetty Lunch Home, Main Road, near Bus Stand, ☏ . land before 3PM for lunch. Chicken ghee roast was invented here and is still the best in the country. Call one hour in advance to get it custom prepared. Also excellent munchy fish, ghee rice, and silver fish fried in coconut oil.
- Venkateshwara Bhavan (center of town). Authentic vegetarian coastal food.
- Sharon International Hotel, at the division of the road, one towards Kundapur old bus stand and the other towards Bhatkal. There is one more hotel diagonally opposite Sharon. Prices are quite reasonable and the rooms clean.