The earliest records of Kuressaare is a document written in 1381 that mentions that the town housed the fortified residency of a local Catholic bishop and that it was the main center for the islands of western Estonia. Kuressaare used to be known as Arensburg, and it received city status in 1563. The town has a population of around 13,000 (2018).
- Tourist Information Centre, Tallinna 2, ☏ , , fax: , ✉ email@example.com.
Several buses run daily between Kuressaare and Tallinn's main bus station. The trip takes 4 hours and traverses the strait between the mainland and the islands by means of a 30-minute ferry.
Bus schedules are easily available online – read more under Estonia#Get around.
- Health spas. The city has a large number of spas.
There are several malls around town as well as some smaller shops in the town centre.
- Saaremaa Kaubamaja, Raekoja 1. Has a sports shop, a department store and several other smaller shops.
- Auriga Center, Tallinna 88. The biggest mall in Kuressaare, located at the edge of the town. Offers clothes shops, restaurants and a cinema.
- In the city center, next to the tourist office, is a brown building. There are some clothes shops, a bookstore and a kiosk.
- Restaurant La Perla, Lossi 3, ☏ . M-F 12:00-23:00, Sa Su 13-23:00. Italian restaurant.
- Cafe Kessu, Tallinna 16, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 08:00-19:00, Sa 09:00-19:00, Su 10:00-18:00.
- Hesburger, Tallinna 88, Kudjape, Lääne-Saaremaa vald, ✉ email@example.com. Daily 10:00–21:00. Finnish fast food chain
- Kuressaare Kuursaal, Lossipark 1, ☏ . Only open in summer.
- 1 Server Backpackers, Tolli 7, ☏ . Dorm from €15.
- 2 Guesthouse Laurits, Kauba 5, ☏ . Excellent ratings. From €17.
Mid-range and splurgeEdit
- Arensburg Boutique Hotel & Spa, Lossi 15, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Georg Ots Spa, Tori 2, ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com.
- Grand Rose Spa, Tallinna 15, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Johan Spa, Kauba 13, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com.
- Linnahotell, Lasteaia 7, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Saaremaa Spa Hotels: Meri, Ruutli & Saaremaa Valss. Three spa hotels in the town.
- Pärnu – Estonia's 4th largest city and the summer capital of Estonia, popular for its balneo-therapy complexes and spa centres, surrounded by numerous beaches.
- Hiiumaa – Estonia's second largest island.