commune in Bouches-du-Rhône, France
La Ciotat is in Bouches-du-Rhône.
La Ciotat is in the middle between Marseille and Toulon. A former shipbuilding centre, now it is a nice resort. It is often associated with Lumière Brothers and their first films.
- 2 Train station (out of town about 4.5 km). This station was shot in one of the first films made: L'Arrivée d'un train en gare de La Ciotat ("The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat Station"), made by Lumière Brothers in 1895. There is a bus from the station into the town.
- 3 Gare routière (bus station). Right at the centre of the town, near the Tourist Office.
- 1 Vieux Port (Old Harbour).
- 2 Vieille Ville (Old town). There are some notable buildings are rue Adolph Abeille and the rue des Poilus.
- 3 Church of Notre Dame de l'Assomption (right at the Vieux Port). Built in the 17th century.
- 4 Chapelle des Pénitents Bleus, Boulevard Anatole France. Hosts temporary exhibitions.
- 5 Eden Théâtre, Boulevard Georges Clémenceau, ☏ . Opened 16 June 1889, perhaps the oldest working cinema theatre in the world.
- 6 Musée Ciotaden, 1, quai Ganteaume, ☏ , ✉ contact@muséeciotaden.org. 1 Jul-31 Aug: W-M 16:00-19:00; 1 Sep-30 Jun: W-M 15:00-18:00. Adults €3.5, accompanied children free up to 12 years.
- 7 Covered Market, place Evariste-Gras. A restored building of a former market, now hosts a Cinema Frères Lumière (Lumière Brothers cinema). There is also a nice square and a small street on its NW side.
- 1 Parc du Mugel (at the W coast of calanque Mugel), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 1 Apr- 30 Sep: 08:00 to 20:00; 1 Oct-31 Mar: 09:00-18:00. It is a municipal park and botanical garden. The park is listed among the Notable Gardens of France. There are also some nice trails leading to calanques (characteristic coves) — well worth exploring. free.
- 2 L'Ile Verte (Green Island). Between April and October there is a ferry service to the island.