Lac La Biche was established in 1798 as a trading post on a voyageur route that historically linked the Athabaskan region to Hudson Bay. The area, natively Cree, provided a large supply of whitefish and beaver. Its modern economy relies on the oil patch, logging, forestry, agriculture and commercial fishing; it is home to Portage College, a community college.
- EBus Canada, toll-free: . Buses 5 times a week between Edmonton and Fort McMurray will get you as far as Grassland, but from there, it's a 30-min, $200 taxi trip to Lac la Biche.
Lac La Biche is 95 km (59 mi) east of Athabasca on Highway 55.
From Edmonton, it is 225 km (140 mi) north along Highway 28 and Highway 63, and east on Highway 55.
- Budget, 10040 101 Ave, ☏ . M-Sa 10AM-6PM. Hire cars.
- Lac La Biche Mission, Site 640, Comp 2, RR2 (northwest of town, on the lake), ☏ , fax: . W-M 10AM-5PM, Victoria Day-end Aug. Notre Dame des Victoires/Lac La Biche Mission was an 1850s Oblate mission on 45 acres the shores of the lake. Several historical buildings, antique and photo displays, interpretive centre and picnic area. $2/person (self-guided), $5/person (guided tour).
- Lac La Biche Golf & Country Club, ☏ , fax: . 18-hole course. Pelican Grill serves burgers, chicken, pizza, steaks, breakfast until 11AM; a beer and a burger runs about $10.
- 1 Lakeland Provincial Park, ☏ . Located east of the town. Backcountry camping and hiking, canoeing, kayaking, cycling, birding and wildlife viewing. Cross-country skiing and ice fishing in winter.
- [dead link] Eats and Sweets Café, 10140 102 St, ☏ . Sandwiches, salads, breakfast.
- Ginger House Family Restaurant, 10201 101 St, ☏ .
- Saucenator, ☏ . 11AM-2PM, May-Sept. Food truck. Burgers and sandwiches.
- Tom's Pizza and Steakhouse, 10303-101 Avenue, ☏ . Chicken, pizza, pasta, burgers, sandwiches, Greek cuisine, soups, salads, steak and seafood.
- Athabasca is 95 km (59 mi) west
- Cold Lake is 150 km (93 mi) east
- Edmonton is 225 km (140 mi) southwest
|Routes through Lac La Biche|
|END ←||N S||→ Kalyna Country → Taber|
|Athabasca ← Jct N S ←||W E||→ Cold Lake → Prince Albert|