Lagoa is a municipality in the Algarve region of southern Portugal. Lagoa is one of the most important tourist areas of the Algarve. There are various factors which have contributed to its popularity, namely the variety of offerings to visitors (the beauty of its beaches, modern tourist accommodation, its golf courses and cultural heritage), and the friendliness of its citizens.
The City of Lagoa is not very spectacular, since it is inland. However, the nearby beaches, caves and nature sights are worth a few stops along the way between Albufeira and Portimao.
The nearest train station is 1 Estômbar-Lagoa, where also many buses pass by.
Mostly by bus, but there are enough trails along the cost to hike a large part of it.
- 1 Algar de Benagil. A famous pit cave.
Small boats leave from Benagil beach, can be book on the spot. Alternatively the cave can be entered by a kayak or SUP board. Though, kayaks are €30/hr for 2 people. So, better to bring your fins and just swim over there.
- Getting there/away: Buses from Lagos and Portimao go to nearby 2 Praia do Carvalho, from where it is 20 on foot. Otherwise regular buses from Lagoa go directly to Benagil Beach.
Heritage buildings have been renovated for cultural uses in the city, notably the Municipal Library and the Convento de São José (St. Joseph Convent) – the Cultural Centre of the City of Lagoa – where various shows and a variety of exhibitions take place. Similarly the Municipal Auditorium hosts numerous shows and other events each week. As well many cultural activities take place at the Parque Municipal de Fontes, north of Estombar, all year round, including theatre, dances, and traditional folk-songs.
- Each summer it hosts a large exhibition of craft products at the Parque de Feiras e Exposições de Lagoa (FATACIL, Fair and Exhibition Grounds of Lagoa).
- [dead link] Restaurant O Boteco, Praia do Paraíso, Carvoeiro, ☏ . Located in the quaint Carvoeiro Village, "O Boteco" stands out for the quality of its cuisine, especially its regional dishes (various chargrilled dishes and seafood platters), excellent service and privileged location with a breathtaking panoramic view of the sea and the small Praia do Paraíso (Paradise beach).
- Lagoa DOC. A Portuguese wine region centred on Lagoa municipality. The region has Portugal's highest wine classification as a Denominação de Origem Controlada (DOC). The region has been known for its fortified wine production but has been expanded its table wine production. For white, the grape varieties are Arinto (Pedernã) and Síria (or Roupeiro), for reds, tinta negra mole and Trincadeira (or Tinta amarela).
It is possible to stay closer to the beaches in different towns near Lagoa where the major hotels are located, such as Porches, Carvoeiro or Mexilhoeira da Carregação e Ferragudo.
- 1 Vilalara Thalassa Resort (First Thalasso in Portugal), Praia das Gaivota, Alporchinhos, 8400-450 Porches, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Located by the sea where nature is found in its purest state, the Vilalara Thalassa Resort, with its expressive but tasteful architecture, is a place dedicated to well-being and the senses.