Lappajärvi is a municipality of Southern Ostrobothnia, 85 km away from Seinäjoki. The most convenient way to arrive to this location is by car.
The easiest way to come to Lappajärvi with public transport is via train to Kauhava and via bus from Kauhava to Lappajärvi.
Nearest airport is in Kronoby (75 km) and nearest major airport is in Vaasa (120 km).
- Keskustaksi, Taksini: see Southern_Ostrobothnia#By_taxi
- Smartphone apps: Valopilkku, 02 Taksi
- Lappajärvi Lake. It is quite magical driving through Finland’s nature and suddenly arriving at Lappajärvi Lake, which gives the name to the municipality. This is definitely the main attraction of the area and has a very particular reason of existence. It was created by a meteorite impact 77 million years ago. This asteroid of 1,6 km long left a 23 km of diameter crater and it is nowadays the biggest lake of the region. Its deepest point is 38 m. It is possible to feel the space atmosphere once in the area, because many places are decorated with meteorite rocks and space images, especially the Kivitippu Hotel. People can learn about meteorites, and space. It is possible to find pieces of Kärnäiitti, a unique type of rock formed in the impact from the meteorite. Lappajärvi is the only place in the world where this rock can be found. There is a captivating view from all the different points around the lake. It is possible to go around it, either by car of by bike, with 80 km around it. Many watersports and tournaments take place every year. The Lappajärven Lohisoutu trolling competition captivates about 150 boats every summer.
- 1 Ateljee Tapio Autio (church), Virsulantie 126, 62640, ☏ , . 10AM-6PM during summer months. In 1995 Tapio Autio, a policeman, decided to build a church on his own, without any help, with his own money and hands and with the support of his wife. This church is open for the public. There is a chapel, an angels’ room, a fire place and a great view from the top of the hill where the buildings are situated. Autio says that his eccentric work was inspired by the Bible. The magnificent sculptures on the outside in the garden and decorating the outside of their house and church demonstrate his enthusiasm for nature. Outside the building there is a tower built by Autio. On the top there is a captivating view of the area, the forests and the Lappajärvi Lake. Adults €10, children €5.
- 2 Lappajärvi Lutheran Church, Fellmannintie 12. Wooden cruciform church, built in 1765.
- 3 Lappajärvi Museum, Kotiahonkuja 9.
- 1 Järviseudun Golf Club, ☏ . 18-hole golf course surrounded by the beauty of the lake. Part of the gulf circuit includes a boat that crosses one part of the lake to continue playing on the other side, a faster way than going walking around it. Dining room, indoors or outdoors. Membership not required.
- 2 Lappajärvi summer theatre, Itäkyläntie 97.
- 3 Disc golf park, Nissintie 47. 9 hole disc golf course near athletics field
- 4 Disc golf, Kuoppalantie 221. 9 hole disc golf course in forrest
- 5 Finnish baseball (pesäpallo), Käpykankaantie 1. Go watch a finnish baseball match with a team that plays in the top league "Superpesis".
- 1 S-market, Kärnäntie 6. Food store in Lappajärvi downtown
- 2 K-market, Maneesintie 1. Food store in Lappajärvi downtown
- 3 Alko, Kärnäntie 6. Alcoholic beverage store in Lappajärvi downtown.
- 4 M-Market Itäkylä, Ammesmäentie 191. Food store and village store in Itäkylä
- 5 Kultainen Kiulukka, Nykäläntie 124. Handicraft and gift shop.
- 1 Kivitippu Hotel, Nykäläntie 137 (Nykälänniemi on the edge of the Lappajärvi Lake.), ☏ . Inside the facilities is located a meteorite exhibition and it is also possible to find pieces of genuine meteorite all over the hotel. Guests have the chance to bike, swim in the lake, sail, go on a canoe, play beach volleyball or lie on the sandy beach. In winter there are also plenty of activities, such as snowmobiling on the lake, and cross country skiing. The hotel facilities include a high standard gymnasium, indoor swimming pool, saunas, cafeteria, bar and dining room. Some additional services include cosmetic, beauty and health treatments. The hotel restaurant offers many kinds of shows and events every night with Finnish orchestras, dances, karaoke nights and so on.
- 2 Tähti ja Koivu, Länsirannantie 290, 62600.