Europe > France > Nouvelle-Aquitaine > Dordogne > Montignac (Dordogne)
There are at least three car parks in Montignac, and many roads leading in; use car or bus to get there.
There are quite a few roads through Montignac; at least a quarter are pedestrianized, so it is mostly best to walk. If you are driving, be aware that the town operates a one way system.
- The Prehistoric Sites and Decorated Caves of the Vézère Valley, Lascaux (2km south of Montignac). The prehistoric sites are a UNESCO World Heritage site. Note that visitors go see a replica of the caves completed in 1983 as carbon dioxide from tourists previously caused damaged to the original paintings.
- The small festival, held every summer on the bridge, with fireworks.
- Walk over the bridge, especially quite late at night, as it is beautiful at this time.
- Visit the Chateau de Reignac
- Hire a canoe from one of the many kayak tours and enjoy up to 6hours of river scenery. Don't forget the sunscreen even if its overcast!
- Crazy Golf course. Can be found by following the footpaths under the new bridge.
There are several shops, and, of course, the busy market place. It really is very busy on market days, so be careful where you walk (and what you buy of course).
Beside the tourist office and the ticket office for Lascaux's Cave II there is an exhibition area selling local goods and produce and along near the main car park is another building that specialises in selling goods from South American, African and Asians countries.
Several restaurants are existent around the town, with good French food.
- Résidence Pierre & Vacances du Lac. The residence lies in a beautiful, leafy setting on the shores of a lake in a huge landscaped park. It is made up of houses and apartments, and the architecture is based on the local tradition of fortified towns: staggered roofs with Roman tiles, façades in stone colours with herringbone patterns, arcades and outdoor staircases. To relax, there is a swimming pool and a solarium equipped with deckchairs and parasols, subject to availability, and a play area for children.