Leksand is located at Lake Siljans outlet into river Österdalälven. As part of Siljansbygden, Leksand is regarded as a caretaker of Swedishness, with a knäckebröd (crisp bread) bakery, popular Midsummer celebration, and an ice hockey team unusually successful for such a small town — Leksand IF has won the Swedish Hockey Championship four times! Leksand municipality has a population of about 16,000 people, out of which some 6,000 live in Leksand proper. The summer park Leksand Sommarland, a few km north of Leksand, is a major tourist attraction.
1 Leksand Station (Leksand resecentrum). Leksand is connected to the regional railway hub Borlänge by several trains every day. The journey lasts some 30-50 minutes and costs some 65-75 kr. Trains to Mora, the largest city Siljansbygden takes 40-60 minutes and costs some 85-105 kr. There are also 3-hour direct trains to the Swedish capital Stockholm. The railways are operated by the Swedish national train operator SJ.
The regional traffic company in Dalarna is Dalatrafik. Their bus 274 provide 20 minute to and from Tällberg for 33 kr, while bus 111 carry passengers to Borlänge at fares from 65 kr, and bus 102 service passengers traveling to Rättvik at fares from 50 kr.
- 1 Leksand Church (Leksands kyrka), Kyrkallén 23, ☏ . Daily June-mid August 10.00-17.30, the rest of the year 10.00-15.30. Service Sa 11.00 & Th 18.30. It is one of the largest rural churches in Sweden, with room for 2300 people. The area has been used as a christian burial ground since the 11th century, and archaeologists have found traces of a church building on the site dating to the 12th century. The oldest parts of the current church building date back to the 13th century, making it the oldest church in Siljansbygden. It got its current design, with the characteristic onion dome, during the 18th century. The Swedish romantic composer Hugo Alfvén is buried here.
- Go on a boat trip on Lake Siljan! During summer two shipping companies offer cruises from Leksand:
- M/S Gustaf Wasa, ☏ . Has been cruising on Siljan since 1876. They have a restaurant and café on board, but also offer plenty of shrimps! All cruises are guided. Tickets can be bought on board.
- S/S Engelbrekt, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. A steam ship built in 1866. Today it is operated by the non-profit "The Friends of Engelbrekt Association". Warm meals and wine is served during cruises.
- 1 Leksand Sommarland (Leksand Resort), Siljansvägen 75 (4 km (2.5 mi) north of central Leksand), ☏ , email@example.com. Open from the last week of June until the middle of August. Open daily 10.00-17.00 in June and August, and 10.00-18.00 in July. A summer park with plenty of child-friendly activities such as water slides, go-carts, laser tag, rope-ways and roller-coasters. One day 380 kr, 2 days 610 kr, full season 1250 kr.
- Midsummer (Midsommar). It is celebrated on the Saturday occurring between June 20th and June 26th. Midsummer celebration in Leksand draws as many as 30,000 participants, making it the biggest in Sweden! The celebrations are held in "Gropen", an ice age kettle hole forming a natural amphitheatre, and feature traditional Swedish folk music, dancing, playing and the erecting of a large maypole.
Leksandsbröd is a famous brand of crisp bread, and one of the strongest symbols of Leksand. Crisp bread probably originated in Värmland as early as in the 6th century, but has since spread across Sweden and Europe. A more modern and multicultural version of the classic dish is crisp bread pizza!
- 1 Bosporen, Torget 1, ☏ . M-Th 15.00-22.00, F 15.00-00.00, Sa 12.00-00.00 Su 12.00-22.00. A classical Leksand venue, established in 1978. They offer pizza and á la carte.
- 2 Chicken Grill & Pizzeria, Norsgatan 23, ☏ . M-F 11.00-22.00, Sa Su 12.00-22.00. As you might have guessed from their name, they offer grilled chicken and pizza! Budget.
- 3 GC Restaurang, Bar & Café, Norsgatan 19, ☏ . M-Th 08.00–22.00, F 08:00-02:00, Sa 09:30-24:00/02:00. A restaurant, bar and café with several different activities and events, such as live music concerts.
- 4 Wanpen's Thai Food, Torget 10, ☏ . M-Sa: 12.00–21.00, Su: 12.00–20.00. A Thai cuisine restaurant.
- 1 Korstäppan Hotell & Pensionat, Hjortnäsvägen 33, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. A mansion turned into a guesthouse, with a fine dining hotel restaurant.
- 2 Hotell Leksand, Leksandsvägen 7, ☏ , email@example.com. The only hotel in central Leksand.
- 3 Leksands folkhögskola, Siljegårdsvägen 21, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. A folk high school with their own hostel. During season, from the end of June until early August, they also offer bed and breakfast accommodation. Singels are 490 kr, doubles are 650 kr.
- 4 Leksand Strand, Siljansvägen 61, ☏ , email@example.com. A camping ground and resort on the shores of Lake Siljan. The area features 222 cabins, 500 camping lots, beaches, a pool, a restaurant and a small shop.