Lewisporte is a town and seaport on Notre Dame Bay in Central Newfoundland. The town was founded in 1876, and has about 3400 (2016) residents. It is a deep-water port and shipping centre on Notre Dame Bay which has served as a fishing, farming and boat-building settlement, a shipping port and sawmill, and later as a distribution point for supplies destined to Cartwright and Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Labrador by coastal ferry.
Europeans settlers first arrived in Lewisporte in 1887 and engaged in the prosperous fishing, logging, and ship building industries. The first European settlers were attracted to the area by the huge stands of birch, spruce and pine, which graced the shores. Lewisporte is named for Lewis Miller, an enterprising Scotsman who operated a logging company in central Newfoundland.
During the war years, Lewisporte was an important base of operations for the Canadian Forces. Gander's strategic location as a ‘jumping off’ point for flights going to Europe brought a larger population to Lewisporte. Approximately three army sites were constructed in Lewisporte to protect the oil supply lines to Gander. Rapid commercial and residential growth after the war has converted and swallowed nearly all evidence of military presence. Lewisporte's population and size have increased as the town's transportation and distribution function became more important.
After the September 11, 2001 terror attacks, numerous trans-Atlantic flights were diverted to Gander International Airport when U.S. airspace was closed. Due to its proximity to Gander's once-bustling international airport, Lewisporte accommodated more than 700 of the 6500 trans-Atlantic airline passengers diverted to Gander during the September 11, 2001 attacks in the US. Lewisporte sheltered and fed hundreds of stranded airline passengers for several days. In press reports, the passengers praised the citizens of Lewisporte for their concern and hospitality.
Lewisporte is on Route 341, 14 km (9 mi) north of the Trans-Canada Highway.
Lewisporte is the southern terminus of a seasonal coastal ferry service to Labrador.
- Nunatsiavut Marine (MV Northern Ranger), Lewisporte Main Dock, 123 Main St., ☏ , fax: . Cargo is no longer accepted for Goose Bay and Cartwright as the Trans-Labrador Highway reaches those communities, but Black Tickle, Rigolet, Makkovik, Postville, Hopedale, Natuashish and Nain are still accessible only by outport ferry.
- Lewisporte Marina and Yacht Club, 152 A Main Street, Lewisporte, ☏ .
- Lewisporte Taxi, 7 Mill St., ☏ .
- 1 Lewisporte Heritage Centre, 235 Main Road, ☏ . Jun 15-Aug 30. By the Bay Museum. Logging and carpentry tools, photographs, paintings, books, household and children's items. Photography equipment. World War I and II artefacts, medical equipment collection and a 28-foot hooked rug depicting history of the town.
- 2 Lewisporte Train Park, 152 Main St., ☏ . end June-end Aug. Railway museum on the east side of Lewisporte; a narrow-gauge (3.5') Newfie Bullet once ran from Port aux Basques to St. Johns but all rails were removed from the island in the 1980s. Hiking & walking trail, authentic Newfoundland trains, picnic area, cultural & historic information. Donations welcome.
- 1 Notre Dame Provincial Park, 1km E of Notre Dame Junction on Trans-Canada Highway. Former Abitibi-Price logging site, donated as a park in 1960. Picnic area, two playgrounds, 100-site camp ground, toilets, RV dump station, unsupervised sandy beach for swimming, cross-country ski trails, convenience store, boat rental.
- 1 Blue Finn Lounge, 140 Main St, ☏ .
- 1 Brittany Inn, 373 Main St, ☏ . Hotel with dining room, lounge, meeting room.
- 2 Ocean View, 210 Main St, ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 10AM. Four-bedroom B&B overlooking Lewisporte harbour and marina. $100-125.
- 3 Islands Villa, 203 Main St, ☏ . Eight-room high-end motel with four-and-a-half star rating. Centrally located with a view of the marina.
|Routes through Lewisporte|
|Twillingate ← Jct N ←||N S||→ ENDS at W E|