Three Notch Rd is the name for the road commonly known as MD Rt. 235
Southern Maryland is a peninsula that extends 90 miles to the south of Baltimore and Washington DC. There are two primary arteries into Southern Maryland, MD Rt. 5 through Charles County, and MD Rt. 4 through Calvert County.
Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI), 162 Aviation Blvd, Baltimore, Phone: +1 410 859-7027. 86 miles N of Patuxent River, use MD Rt. 4. While 20 miles further than DCA, BWI is considered by many an easier drive as it avoids Washington DC beltway traffic.
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA), 1 Aviation Cir, Washington, D.C., Phone: +1 703 417-8000. 64 miles NNW of Patuxent River, use MD Rt. 5.
Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD). 91 miles NW of Patuxent River, use MD Rt. 5. Dulles is not ideal due to distance and location along the DC Beltway.
- 1 , Route 235 and Pegg Road (Take MD-4 south, then turn right on MD-235). Patuxent River Naval Air Station is the Navy's primary aircraft test facility. Virtually every aircraft flown by the Navy since World War II has been testing at Pax River. The base is, of course, not open to the public, but you can visit the Naval Air Museum, which includes a large collection of jet-age Navy aircraft, including an F-14A, NF/A-18A, AV-8B Harrier II, and the two experimental aircraft that competed for the Joint Strike Fighter contract, the Boeing X-35C and the Lockheed-Martin X-32B. Visitors can walk up and touch the aircraft. Museum exhibits also include flight motion simulators. Free; donation requested.
St. Mary's River State Park
Greenwell State Park
- Annmarie Garden, 13480 Dowell Road, 20629, ☏ . Superb open-air sculpture garden, including many pieces on loan from the Smithsonian's Hirshorn Gallery. The Garden offers rotating exhibitions in its indoor gallery place, as well as a gallery shop, snack bar, and classes. $5 (adults).
Outdoor sculpture park associated with the Smithsonian Institute. Shaded, beautiful and dog friendly walking path.
- 2 Point Lookout State Park, 11175 Point Lookout Road, 20687 (The park is at the southern tip of St. Mary's County, at the junction of the Potomac River and the Chesapeake Bay. It can be reached via Maryland Route 5.), ☏ . The park is open year-round; 6 a.m to sunset. Some activities are allowed outside of regular park hours, such as fishing, boat launch and hunting where permitted. Camping and some other activities are seasonal. Point Lookout State Park sits at the southernmost tip of Maryland's western shore on a peninsula formed by the Chesapeake Bay and the Potomac River. Recreational opportunities abound in this picturesque Bay setting. Swimming, fishing, boating and camping are just a few of the activities to be enjoyed. The park's peaceful surroundings belie its history as the location of a prison camp for more than 52,000 Confederate soldiers during the Civil War. A museum on site recounts this vivid history. Civil War Ghosts wander the grounds. October - April: $3.00/vehicle for MD resident and $4.00/vehicle non-resident. May - September: Weekdays $3.00/vehicle for MD resident and $5.00/vehicle non-resident. Weekends and Holidays: $5.00/person for MD resident and $7.00/person non-resident. Night fishing: an additional fee of $3.00/vehicle for MD resident and $5.00/vehicle non-resident. Service charges also apply to the Causeway.
- Confederate Memorial Park, 11625 Point Lookout Road (South on Rt 5 1/2mile before Pt Lookout State Park), ☏ . 24 hrs. Confederate Memorial Park was erected by the Decendants of those 52000+ imprisoned at the Union POW camp. Plaza with illuminated bronze statue,"Voices from the Pen" engraved first person accounts, 21 state and Confederate National flags,informational signage.
An appropriate memorial for the soldiers, sailor, marines and civilians imprisoned 1863-1865. Adjacent to the Federal and Maryland monument acre which contains the mass grave of the prisoners who died there. Free.
- Blue Wind Gourmet, 22803 Gunston Dr, ☏ . California. Good soups, sandwiches and salads. Best selction of liquor, wine and beer in area. Most evenings has some wine tastings.
- Coffee Quarter, 22576 Macarthur Blvd, ☏ . California. Great local coffee shop with good sandwiches and desserts.
- Captain's Table, 275 Lore Rd, ☏ . Solomons.
- Clarke's Landing Restaurant, 24580 Clarkes Landing Ln, ☏ . Hollywood. Seafood. Waterfront location on Cuckhold Creek.
- Ledo Pizza, 21911 Three Notch Rd, ☏ .
- [dead link] Lenny's Restaurant, 23418 Three Notch Rd. (1/2mi.N.rt.4 on Rt.235), ☏ . 11am9pm. Local family dining Since 1952 serving seafood, steaks and sandwiches. Sunday Brunch Buffet Style 8am-1pm. $4.00-$29.00.
- [dead link] The Lexington Restaurant & Lounge (The Lexington), 21736 Great Mills Road (Located at the corner of Shangrila Drive and Great Mills Road), ☏ . 7am to 11pm. 2.99 to 28.99.
- Monterey Mexican Restaurant, 22576 MacArthur Blvd, ☏ . California. Located in San Souci Shopping Center.
- Nicoletti's Pizza, 22741 Three Notch Rd, ☏ . California.
- Niko's Pizza & Carryout, 21600 Great Mills Rd, ☏ . Located in St. Mary's Square shopping center.
- Rick's Cheesesteak Factory & Pizza, 23415 Three Notch Rd # 22, ☏ . California. Located in Wildewood Shopping Center.
- Solomon's Pier, 14575 Solomons Island Rd, ☏ . Solomons, MD 20688. Waterfront location on Solomon's Island.
- Stoney's Kingfishers Seafood House, 14442 Solomons Island Rd S, ☏ . Solomons. Seafood. Waterfront location on Solomon's Island. Order the crabcake sandwich.
- Stoney's Seafood House, 3944 Oyster House Rd, ☏ . Broomes Island. Seafood. Beautiful waterfront location on Broomes Island in Calvert County, about 25 miles north of NAS Patuxent River. Order the crabcake sandwich.
- "'Thai Inter"', Corner of MacArthur Blvd and MD 235. Great Thai Food
- Asahi Japanese Steak House, 22576 Macarthur Blvd, ☏ . California. Located in San Souci Shopping Center.
- DiGiovanni's Dock of the Bay, 14556 Solomon's Island Rd, Solomon's, ☏ . Waterfront location on Solomon's Island.
- The Tides Restaurant and Oyster Bar, 46580 Expedition Dr, ☏ . Located immediate north of Gate 1 on MD Rt. 235, in front of Extended Stay America hotel.
- Zahniser's Dry Dock Restaurant, 251 C St, Solomon's, ☏ . Seafood. Waterfront location on Solomon's Island.
- Catamaran's, 14470 Solomons Island Rd S, ☏ . Solomons, MD. Small dance floor - 2 stories of boozin'. Good for comsumption of liquids. Food is not the best.
- [dead link] D.B.McMillan's Pub and Grill, 23415 Three Notch Rd California,Md (1/2 N.of Rt4 on Rt.235 in The Wilde Wood Center), ☏ . 11am 11pm. An Irish Pub with traditional music and food along with burgers, sandwiches, stews and corned beef and cabbage. A place to relax and meet friends old and new. $4.99-$18.00.
- The Green Door, Rt 5 South, Park Hall MD - A local fav and home of the $6 pizza and pitcher of beer on Monday nights!
- Tiki Bar, 85 Charles St, ☏ . Solomons, MD tikibarsolomons.com Open 3rd Friday in April to Columbus Day. Opening Day is an annual event that draws thousands for an all-day/all-night party.
- Comfort Inn, 255 Lore Rd, ☏ . Solomon's, MD 20688. 7.8 miles from Gate 1 into NAS Patuxent River. Requires longer commute over Solomon's Bridge.
- Country Inn & Suites, 44941 Worth Lane, 20619 (3 miles from Gate 1 NAS Patuxent River.), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 12PM. Offers fresh cookies and complimentary Hot breakfast as well as free high-speed internet and an indoor heated pool.
- Days Inn, 21847 Three Notch Rd (0.2 miles from Gate 2 into NAS Patuxent River), ☏ .
- Extended Stay America, 46565 Expedition Park Dr (0.1 miles from Gate 1 into NAS Patuxent River), ☏ .
- Fairfield Inn, 22119 Three Notch Rd (0.1 miles from Gate 1 into NAS Patuxent River), ☏ .
- Hampton Inn, 22211 Three Notch Rd (0.1 miles from Gate 1 into NAS Patuxent River), ☏ .
- Hilton Garden Inn Solomons, 13100 Dowell Road (2.5 miles from Gate 1 into NAS Patuxent River), ☏ . Dowell, MD 20629. Requires longer commute over Solomon's Bridge.
- Holiday Inn, 155 Holiday Dr (8.0 miles from Gate 1 into NAS Patuxent River), ☏ . Solomon's, MD 20688. Beautiful waterfront location, requires longer commute over Solomon's Bridge.
- [dead link] , 22769 Three Notch Rd (2.5 miles from Gate 1 into NAS Patuxent River), ☏ . California, MD 20619.
- 1 Point Lookout State Park Campground, 11175 Point Lookout Road, 20687, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Camping is available in Point Lookout State Park in one of 143 wooded campsites, of which 26 have full hook-ups and 33 have electric. There are also six four-person camper cabins available for overnight stays. $21.49 to $38.49 for camping; $50.49 for cabins.
- Sleep Inn, 23428 Three Notch Rd, 20619 (4.7 miles from Gate 1 into NAS Patuxent River), ☏ . Across from Wildewood shopping center indoor pool, Free Internet, walk to restaurants and shopping.
- Super 8 Motel, 22801 Three Notch Rd (2.8 miles from Gate 1 into NAS Patuxent River), ☏ . California, MD 20619.
This county is known for its miles of shoreline. Two great beaches are on St. George Island. One is right next to the bridge but the best is at the end of the Island, with a nice private campground and cottages.