Lhoknga (or Lhok Nga) is a town in the province of Aceh, Indonesia. Located just 15 km from the provincial capaital Banda Aceh, you find the quiet beaches of Lhoknga and Lampuuk. These are perfect for those wanting to visit Banda Aceh, while avoiding the hustle and bustle of the big city.
Lhoknga is said to offer the best surfing, and Lampuuk to have the best beaches for swimming and basking in the sun. However, as the two are 30 minutes walk apart, and it's hard to tell where one beach stops and the other starts, it doesn't make much difference where you opt to sleep.
Taxis will take you there from the airport for a "fixed" price of Rp120,000, bargain hard and you'll get close to half that price.
Local public transport from Banda Aceh center (labi labi) can be taken from Banda Aceh for Rp10,000 (last departure at 17:00).
Motor bikes and bicycles are available for hire in the area. Just ask at your accommodation.
The Cement factory - in fact, you can't miss it. It's right on the beach.
- Surfing is the name of the game here. Take care when swimming, because the currents in this region tend to be very strong.
- Golf The driving range is located in Lhok Nga.
- Take a walk in the lush forest up the cliffs near Lampuuk.
- Beaching Halfway between Lampuuk and Lhok Nga is a string of shaded, elevated sitting areas. Sort of like a porch without a house. Shops are abound selling cold drinks and food (fresh coconuts and grilled fish are a couple of favorites).
You won't go hungry in Lhoknga. However, you won't find any fine dining either. The local food here is great and very cheap, and there are plenty rumah makan within short distance of the homestays. Additionally, it will be hard for you to stay long in a homestay without being invited to join your host for dinner.
- Nurmashomestay (Jl Lap, Golf - Lhoknga -'). Indonesian, Aceh and Western Food.
- Harry's place (Close to the river). It's actually not called Harry's place - it's just the name of the owner. Harry and his wife makes excellent coffee and banana pancakes for breakfast. 10.000.
- Rumah Makan (Just before Harry's). 18.00 - 22.00. Popular with the locals this place (only open for dinner) serves wonderful Acehnese cuisine. The hosts don't speak much English, but that's ok. Just point to whatever you want, a calculator will show you the price (which is very reasonable). Drinking water is served complimentary, but do try their fresh Juices (6.000 Rs). 10.000 Rs.
- Dian Rana. Dian Rana has a restaurant with a western menu as well with slightly higher prices.
Alcohol is widely unavailable. However, both Joe's Bungalows and Dian Rana serve beer, wine or spirits at a price showing the fact that it's transported here from Medan.
Lhoknga attracts the budget backpackers and surfers during the season (December - March). Simple Losmen and homestays are plentiful here. Some of the places are only open in season, but don't worry, there will always be a place for you to stay. All accommodation is around Jl Golf close together. Shop around for the one that fits your style.
- Nurmashomestay (Jl Lap, Golf - Lhoknga -'). There is No Place Better, Homestay, Indonesian, Aceh and Western Food.
Room and dormitory accommodation in traditional Acehnese house 300m from Lampuuk Beach (3km from Lhoknga)on Jalan Pantai lampuuk - +6281388100887 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Eddie Homestay, Jl. Golf - Lhoknga in front of Golf course - Banda Aceh - Aceh Province, ✉ email@example.com. Eddie Homestay is run by the two brothers, Dani and Eddie. The rooms are big and the beds are comfortable, shared bathroom. You can use the shared kitchen where you will find free tea and drinking water. If you're really lucky, Eddie might be able to pick you up from Banda Aceh or the airport on his motorbike. Mobile phone# +62811688682, +6281360319126 or +6281360041350 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Both Dani and Eddie speak excellent English. 50.000 - 60.000 IDR.
- Mami Diana Homestay. 50.000 IDR.
- (Yudi's) Darlian Homestay. 40.000 IDR.
- Mitabu Homestay, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 50.000 IDR.
- [dead link] Joel's Bungalows. Joel's Bungalows were washed away in the Tsunami, so he built new ones high on the cliffside, protected from the sea. Surfboards are available for guests and there's a restaurant serving western food, as well. 150.000-300.000 IDR.
- Dian Rana. Another strip of Bungalows set in a lovely garden. Dian Rana also has a restaurant with a western menu. 250.000 IDR.